What happened to freedom?

“HELP, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” (her words)

I wonder :thinking: if the irony of the Blue Lives Matter has “hit” them yet???

NOTE: she did get up and was not injured.

On a more serious note - or equal note…

Peaceful protest is a “voice” that wants to be heard within the democratic system. NOT a minority voice demanding change outside the democratic system for all Canadians. It doesn’t interfere with public infrastructure OR hold it hostage.

The shock from protesters receiving equal treatment is mind-blowing :exploding_head:. Those that have been involved with indigenous, G7 or BLM issues and have had their protest breakup televised at least had the brains to NOT put themselves in harms way if they were old and needed a walker and they sure didn’t strap a 2month old to their chest in the front lines.

That old lady story is practically a meme. Some protesters got in the face of the police, got physical (one officer slightly inured, there were attempts to seize police weapons), so the horses were called in to move them back. The protesters were told very clearly and loudly to MOVE and chose not to.

Yup, the time to voice your position or opposition is voting day.

Personally, as a Canadian, I have zero concerns about our democratic process. Yes Trudeau invoked a powerful emergency measures act. But he is facing a fierce opposition in the House of Commons. For his measure to take effect, he must get it approved within ten days of enactment. There are fierce debates, and I am of the opinion it will not be approved.

Is it really so hard to get vaccinated? Despite the fact that it’s pretty cold up here, the wife and i went down last week and got our third booster shot. Because of her allergies, it was done in a hospital, and since we got there early, there was no one else there. I mean, really, no one else. Just as we were about to get the needle, a gentleman wandered in, booked, and was being prepared for his shot.

So for 15 minutes as we waited to be released (checking for any negative reactions) the wife and I, this gent, and the nurse in attendance just sat around and had a pleasant chat.

The police are not striking anyone, they form line abreast and should to shoulder, holding their batons at chest height. But a few yards behind them are the serious ones, definitely hard-core SWAT, appropriately armed and ready to respond to any stupid who decides to get violent.

Personally, I am re-visiting my opposition of tactical vehicles for police. They fill the gap between officers on the ground and having to use the army. And let’s have no delusion, the military are not trained to be gentle, they are trained to kill.

I once was integrated with a unit that was 95% army, the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. After having lived with them and shared barracks, it is true. They would rather fight than fuck.

That may sound barbaric, but in reality, who would you rather have fighting for you on the front lines? Hippies or hard-core assholes who love to fight?

In Edmonton last weekend…
The batons were out right away and they were “removed” immediately. This was used on the local residents that counter-protested.

Edmonton this weekend…

“…an Edmonton councillor is organizing a safe walk program to increase safety during the protests.“

Hmmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow: thinking my next vote :ballot_box: in Alberta may go Libtard…too many Conservaturds :poop:

Oh for fucks’ sake!

Does it ever dawn on these extremists that we are a Sovereign Nation that is more than capable of dealing with our own?

Like these fucking yahoos didn’t have their fingers in the pie :pie:. I swear this type of propaganda is not done out of “stupidity” BUT the stupid crawl on board.

Just finished talking with my MP. She’s in Ottawa.

We had some debate, and I chastised her for using a Fox clip to support her pov. I reminded her that she represents all the constituents in the Lakeland. ALL. Even those that she may personally disagree with.

It is only the standard for evidence to support the EA (Emergencies Act) that she needs to focus on.

Good for you. Gotta keep them in check and constantly remind them who they work for. I once spoke to my MP (member of parliament) and got him to raise his eyebrows when I told him that was I voting for him only because he was the lesser of two evils.

This is an issue for me as an Albertan and a Canadian, and I can post freely here so I don’t mean to bore the other forum members with Canadian politics. This has gone “international” so we as a country (and our reputation) has been put in a “spotlight”.

This is the website of the “Freedom Convoy”. THEY removed their M.O.U. (which stinks of high heaven of Freeman on the Land extremism).

https://canada-unity.com/mou/

BUT the M.O.U. can still be read because this international site didn’t remove it…

https://www.rastaroutes.com/watch-memorandum-of-understanding-mou-senate-canada-unity/

Quote: from the document that the organizers wanted Justin Trudeau to sign…

“… Federal Government are to uphold and enforce all Canadian and International Human Rights Laws that are clearly laid out in the MOU or “ RESIGN their lawful positions of authority immediately “

They then lay out their demands in a 15 page legalese (their interpretation of law) document.

The front page of the Canada Unity site is all about love and peace … the bait and switch.

Lol :laughing: one good thing - I’ve never seen Alberta and Quebec “buddy up”…

:notes: …and stand on guard for thee… :notes:

HAHA! Some hard-core corona deniers tried to arrange a protest similar to the Canadian one. They called it “Freedom Convoy Norway 2022”. They promised “thousands” of protesters. Their intention was to meet outside Oslo and drive in a convoy into the center of Oslo, and drive around protesting. How many turned up? Twenty-something protesters and 15 vehicles :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Also, police turned up at their meeting place, reminding them that protests involving vehicles are not allowed in Oslo. So turns out the protesters didn’t do their homework. And we are all surprised </sarcasm>.

Norway has discarded practically all corona restrictions (no mandated self-isolation for corona-sick people, just recommending people to stay at home while sick; no quarantine; no social distancing; no limits to number or density of people in bars, restaurants, concerts etc; no testing for entering the country, and so on). The only restrictions at place is that certain workplaces can mandate masks (typically hospitals and doctor’s offices).

So what were they going to protest against, then? Well, they were going to protest against the government still keeping open the option of an EU-compatible Digital covid certificate (so that people can still travel around Europe without too much hassle, and to have such a solution ready at short notice if necessary, in case new virus variants should surface), as they regard it as invading their personal freedom, and is a step towards a totalitarian state. They actually demanded the government give up the plans. Yeah. Go figure.

Here they are (picture gracefully stolen from a newspaper covering the happening):

Edit: oh, and they call the covid certificates a fascist move:

(source: same newspaper)

1 Like

This is exactly where Alberta is going and if these “freeeddduuumb” fighters were paying any attention to legitimate medical advisory and countries we “model, watch and follow” we were already moving towards this before the “convoy”.

:roll_eyes:

Glad to see that Norway has less Covidiots…

My question regarding this because of international borders - the Canadian govt recently did the no testing for entering (relying on memory) but for fully vaccinated Canadians.

Does Norway do this for the unvaccinated as well??? Or I guess depending where they want to go, they may not be able to (other Country requirement for entry) even leave :woman_shrugging:t2:

Yes. Vaccination status does not matter.

This is the part I don’t understand. I don’t understand how people were allowed to presumably illegally park their trucks for more than 3 hours, let alone 3 weeks.

1 Like

Hmmmm. How’s the hospital capacity there and the figures?

I can check myself, but I think of the beginning of this with Sweden :sweden: and the initial Covid.

This Omnicron is much less deadly and we do have COVID treatment available BUT we have been so backlogged on our regular health that it’s frustrating! And our medical staff have been worked to death practically during this…

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/norway/

Canada
https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/canada/

The health services can handle the situation quite fine. Omicron gives far fewer hospitalizations than previous variants. See the graph below. Dark blue is number of hospitalizations with Covid-19 as main cause. Cyan is hospitalization where Covid-19 is not the main cause. Red is fraction of hospitalizations with Covid-19 as main cause (among those tested positive for SARS-CoV-2). Horizontal axis is time (format: YEAR-WEEK).

Source: Norwegian Institute of Public Health; https://www.fhi.no/publ/2020/koronavirus-ukerapporter/#sammendrag-uke-6

Edit 2: Infection rates in Norway:

Source: worldometers.info; https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/norway/

Edit 3: Actually, the main problem now is not the stress on the health services, but that so many people are staying at home on sick leave that e.g. the schools have problems with too few teachers available. But this is only temporarily. It’s much less of a problem for society - and individuals - than a total lockdown.

This truck convoy rolled into Ottawa, and parked on Parliament Hill. Going by past practices, that was OK. But they did not leave, and the indecision and/or inability to deal with this is what will be a thorough review.

When Trudeau enacted the Emergency measures, Ottawa Police Chief Peter Sloly resigned. Obviously, his position had become untenable. Sloly was the person who failed to keep the streets clean and gave the squatters time to settle in…

1 Like

More boring (lol) government stuff.

Right from the horses mouth…and insight into all the various regions representation views. Information is usually shared that isn’t necessary covered in news since the news will focus on on what sells.

Saturday debate of the Emergency Act

Ironic isn’t it when you get a “Freedom” convoy with a “bait and switch” agenda and purposely ignoring law - working outside the democratic system (from peaceful protest to blockades of international borders) for their ideas only - actually BRING about a more “controlling” response.

Edited to add: it gets more interesting around 11:32

Thanks for addressing those points of confusion. It makes more sense now.

Not being Canadian and being rather ignorant of the legal/political structure there: I have to say I’m confused by the people who complain and portray this whole thing as some huge draconian measure from the Canadian government. If this is the worst thing Canada does to its citizens this year, then Canada sounds like a pretty darn good place to live.

Lol - victims :sob:

Shannon Stubbs, our Lakeland MP did a shitty job debating. Her strength is farming (which is necessary for this area). She used the “lady trampled by a horse” which was debunked in 20 min. AND the fucking “bouncy houses” and said the group in Coutts (who had weapons and were intending to kill RCMP) were dis-envowed by the “protesters” BLOCKING A MAJOR TRADE route (I was waiting with baited breath for her to say it was anti-fa) and then had the audacity to compare warnings for children to not be in the red zone (days upon days on end fucking warnings) to the residential schools separation from parents/children… :face_vomiting:

My area is going PPC or full out far-right Conservaturd.

Libtards here I come!!! :wink: next vote anyway :woman_shrugging:t2: (Crank’s strategy- I miss him)

It’ll take overnight to load in the Parliament site so tomorrow I’ll post and give the time stamp for Shannon.

The sad thing is - part of me understands what she was trying to get across (I’m a redneck too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:… she just did such a fucking shitty job) AND she felt safe there jesus fucking Christ I wonder why??? in amongst the protesters 🪧 :roll_eyes: