The right thing to say

Where is the proof you were born on this planet?

I wasn’t making a case for a creator , only pointing out that the evil argument wasn’t a good example to use for there not being a creator .

Birth certificate should suffice

I was not arguing for or against a god, I was just debating the definition and application of the word “sin”.

That would be enough to convince me, but you were advertising proof.

1 Like

Advertising has never been my business , expand please

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

Lost me buddy. Asking proof for God is legit , asking proof for evil is…………………………?
Have a nice day

As the Bible Clearly States, God is the Author of Evil, what in the fuck would be the ploint?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7)

God himself then goes on to prove he is the author of evil many times over.

Job 1:21 God robbs Job
1st Samuel 2: 6-7 God makes people poor and kills them.
Exodus 4:1-1 God forms people with disabilities.
Isaiah 45:7 (Above) God is the creator of evil and darkness.

How many biblical references do you need? There are certainly 20 or 30 more at least. Whether it is unverifiable or not is completely irrelivant in a discusssion about the nature of God’s existence. If you agree that evil exists, according to the Bible “God Created It.” The discussion is over.

In argumentation it does not matter at all that an idea is unverifiable. If you accept the premise, ‘Evil Exists,’ you must proceed as if it is true. There is no reason at all to accept the premise, ‘Evil Exists.’

Evil is a value judgment we place on specific acts that we ourselves find horrific and can not imagine ourselved doing. Catholics all over the world are supporting pedorists but they can not take the blinders off their eyes long enough to realize what they are doing. Stop donations for a week, and the entire Catholic Church would reform itself. Okay, perhaps a month, those greedy bastards have been getting away with criminal acts for so long that it is habitual with them. Still, if people were not blinded by their ignorant beliefs, things really could change for the better.

2 Likes

[quote=“Cognostic, post:69, topic:2926”]
In argumentation it does not matter at all that an idea is unverifiable.

So the basic tenet of a atheist worldview - ‘there is no proof of a creator’, has been discarded ? I can post anything I want to make a god claim even though it’s unverifiable and that’s ok with you ?

There is no “atheist worldview”. But many ascribe to the scientific process and evidence.

I can post the claim that there is a giant invisible lizard in my backyard that has the power to be invisible and undetectable. That is an unsubstantiated claim about an untestable and unfalsifiable proposition. It could be true it could not. But now the burden of proof lies on me to prove this lizard. And if I am unable, then my claim can be discarded.

2 Likes

Yeah, even the most despicable human beings don’t deserve eternal torture, imo.

Is it just me or is his probing “evil argument” just an excuse to open the door to making “god claims”?

1 Like

“Hi Bill ! Do you worship and serve your lord and creator everyday that you may reach his holy kingdom as spoken by the living word of the Bible? “No Jim, I’m an atheist don’t you know. " But Bill don’t you worry that if there is a God that you will be erased from the book of life and your eternal soul will perish?” No Bill because if your God is the caring compassionate God he claims to be, it would be unfair and Uncompassionate not to let me into heaven with everyone else.” But Jim how can you expect him to love you enough to do that for you if you don’t love him?" Well Bill, I don’t know the President of the United States and he is bound by law to serve and protect me!" #imanatheistbutgodismysafetynet

1 Like

I asked you to prove you were born on this planet. You suggested you had a birth certificate; I’m pointing out that a birth certificate isn’t proof you were born on this planet. So can you prove you were born on this planet?

Both sound pretty silly to me.

On a side note, it would be a lot easier to track the conversation if you clicked reply on the message you were replying to; instead of just dumping the messages into the thread un-nested, hoping the person you are trying to speak to just happens to randomly find your post.

IMO his line of questioning is weird. I get the impression he is searching for a “gotcha” moment, and thus there is a god. Whatever road he is going down has lots of flawed logic.

That is why I decided to reset to the “you claim a god, you must prove such”.

2 Likes

Read the entire post Sid boy, Quit being a dweeb.

“IF YOU AGREE WITH THE PREMISE” Are you really that much of a fucking dunce?

2 Likes

Honestly, it looks to me like he is playing some sort of ridiculous semantics game and intentionally ignoring the obvious point that was originally being made. Just an observation.

3 Likes

Here’s my take on it: “Evil” in the Christian context is not something to be derived, it is postulated to exist in the Bible, it must be described in a biblical context, and contains elements that are unobservable or unprovable (i.e. Satan and his workings). Thus, it is not a rigorous definition and requires that you grant the Bible a certain amount of definition power. We non-believers must define “evil” outside the context of the Bible, using observed quantities, of which one possible quasi-definition of “evil” is that it is a label we stick to observed willed behaviour that causes unwanted harm, injury or pain to others.

Thus, there are at least two separate definitions of “evil” that are not completely overlapping, and where one of them (guess which one) is not defined in such a way as to be treated rigorously in the real, physical world.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I don’t really use the word. I find, ‘unfortunate’ works fine for events over which we have no control, and those things that humans have control over appear to be some really ‘fucked up shit!’ LOL

There was a running joke in the Psychology department in my little group. If a human being can do it, it has been throughout history, and it is completely natural. Calling it evil would just be a category designation for things most humans don’t seem to like. Imagine your perception if you had been raised a cannibal headhunter. What would seem evil to you then? And what might look tasty? How about that big, fat, white pig with the wooden ‘t’ thing hanging around its neck?

4 Likes