Proof Qualification Validity (question for atheists)

Amen to that.

Is just me or do others see a bit of Hamlet in there? ***

Sadly, the anticipated schadenfreude is all to common among our little pigeon’s ilk.

So much for Jesus: Matthew 22:36:40 : 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

***Act 3 scene two : " The lady doth protest too much, methinks "

1 Like

Worshiping a non existent god is not (Rational)

Tell us all what proof you have that there is a god?

Evidence, proofs are for mathematics. I tend to ask for objective evidence, it saves being subjected to an endless list of subjective claims, though not always sadly.

1 Like

Like trying to claim the universe had some sort of cause or reason. It is something which can not be answered with a god. We know the universe came to be but there may be no cause or reason.

Was reading this, I find it very interesting.

But of course Christians and other religions seem to think a god did so. Truth is we only actually know what we can observe.

The Big Bang happened, and there may be no cause.

Sorry to go on like that.

Another subtlety of the English language we need to get Fievel to pick up on. Fievel! (You want Evidence, not proof. You want “good evidence” that is “empirically based,” and not stories, assertions, anecdotes, fallacious logic, tradition, allusion to miracles or hearsay.)

1 Like

Right.

Good evidence which is something I went in search of and found no solid evidence for the god for which I believed in.

My conclusion came down to simple questions.

One of those were what if all the gods there are, are real maybe everyone is mistakenly referring to the same god?

No, that did not seem right.

Second, if the Christian god is real, why can I still find no evidence.

So the finial conclusion was to believe in none of them.

So the truth maybe that there is no god. But as I have been pointed out countless time we also can not disprove a god.

Considering lack of evidence for a god, I dropped religion all together. If a god were to happen to exist I will find that out when I die. And if there isn’t a god I will find out a big fat nothing.

Thanks Cog.

Forgot to reply more directly again… DOH!

WOW! Now you are actually beginning to sound like an atheist instead of an angry ex-Christian.

2 Likes

Yes but some things take a while to sink in.
Took me my entire life so far to realize how little proof there is that a god of any type could exist. But I realize now and for close to a year or so that there’s also no evidence for the god I use to believe in either. I use to think God and Jesus were real, if they are the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause is real too.

Anyhow yeah may-have taken 100s of replies, but even a slow guy like me can learn. I got this computer together, dual AMD Opteron 6378 LGA type CPUs. Motherboard come with no sound card.
I added one even though I rarely use it. I added a video card too. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play back a Blu Ray disc.

Anyways I like placing my systems together myself, my next system will be built by me too.

My two cents.

What about e=mc2? Proof God is ENERGY and the “foundation” for everything! Hahahaha - gotcha! :wink:. Think about AND choose your words carefully. Re-read before hitting reply.

An accurate statement. However, evidence that meets YOUR standard. You are growing in that your acceptance of evidence is higher, rather than a lower standard. With “mundane” things/events, I may accept your word as evidence for “belief”. Eg. You tell me you had toast for breakfast.

However, the greater the claim, the more demonstrable the evidence required for “belief” (or my word preference, confidence)- eg. You tell me you can levitate.

Good on you though. Like Cog said before, you are beginning to sound like you are “thinking” instead of just “angry or disillusioned” (which btw is a healthy stage of growth).

1 Like

As a computer hardware geek, I must reply.

First I gotta say, well done, taking server grade hardware and making it work for personal use like playing blu-rays. A lot harder than just buying hardware designed for the task.

But yeah, that is par for the course, server grade cpu’s and mobo’s do not typically include audio hardware or even dedicated silicone on the cpu to do anything beyond basic graphic processing.

I recently upgraded my aging computer setup with an all new system except a new GPU (holding out for Big Navi and Nvidia’s 3000 series response coming up in the next few weeks.)

Even with the slow down in hardware advancement for computers, the advancements are impressive.

I have a high end VR setup as a side hobby, and it will take any and all computer hardware resources anyone can throw at it.

Half Life Alyx, with the hardware to back it up, truly feels like the next generation of video gaming. Except instead of staring at a screen, you are in the video game world. All past video games I have played pale in comparison to this new way of gaming. I have even gotten more fit, playing games standing up and moving in VR, instead of seated in an office chair or couch.

I was flat out sore after spending hours at a time physically dodging in game hazards, ducking weaving, turning, etc.

Half Life Alyx is not for the faint of heart, google “headcrab” then imagine being in a dimly lit corridor with one, with it flying towards your actual face ready to end your life in a most gruesome way.

1 Like

If a concept is both unprovable and indisputable, then it is anything but rational. The mere idea of believing something which cannot be proven or disproven is absurd in and of itself, as it limits the believer to mere imagination and rationalization to support their claims. No further “discoveries” or breakthroughs have been made in theism. It has completely stopped, and has been stopped for years now.

1 Like

Well I hope I am growing as I don’t believe in a god, as there’s too much lack for evidence. I do not mind the idea that death is what Morgan Freeman says it is. It could be nothing with nothing afterward. This doesn’t bother me as I can not miss concessions when I am gone.

Anyways watching The Witches Of Eastwick, love this movie.

HI.

Welcome to the forums.

Yes there’s no evidence for the god which I use to believe in, Jesus Christ and (God) the Christian ways. I went in search of another religious belief which might make better sense, and I ended up an Atheist.

The Christians Keep Saying this is the end of days. Well I am waiting if it happens then I guess they can say I told you so.
But I doubt that with everything I have. Storms getting worse isn’t the wrath of god, it is the way we keep taking care of mother earth.
We need to take better care of our earth as storms will continue to get worse, it is a part of global warming. Trump is a denier of this, and isn’t helping anything when it comes to our planet.

I find it irrational to worship any kind of a god. But Christians will keep trying to convince people that god is real.

Anyways, signing off. Fievel… :wink:

Would love to build an AMD Epyc system but do not have the money. Would be nice to have like 64 cores and a total of 128 logical processors. I am sure the speed itself is good enough for VR though. Game sounds like it might be fun.

Welcome to the new boards Andromeda!

And yes it is a very powerful point that: for these 2000+ year old major religions, have had zero breakthroughs or discoveries in well, 2000+ years.

If anything these religions prove their are useless for the advancement of human knowledge. A giant waste of time at minimum.

1 Like

64 cores would be total overkill for VR.

Only very specialized software would make use of all those cores. Games certainly would not.

I have yet to see a major gaming title that used more than 4 cores at once. And even then, quite often the game is still bottlenecked by how fast just 1 core with the largest load can go. An 8 core processor with a good cooling system that allows it to be overclocked to 5ghz or higher represents the pinnacle of computer gaming with future proofing built in.

The roughly 280 dollar i-5 10600k will have significantly, (noticeable,) better gaming performance then the 2000+ dollar AMD epyc server processor line. But if you are doing server grade/data center stuff, that processor is hard to beat with all those cores.

The 200 dollar AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, would also perform better then the amd epyc series at gaming, and is also within 10-20% of the performance for gaming as the i-5 10600k. Going less than 200 dollars for a gaming cpu is not advised if possible. - buy used high end last generation instead. (I have seen used i7 9700k’s for 100 bucks! and those are within a few percentage points of the gaming performance of a 10600k.

1 Like

Yep, adding cores only speeds up tasks that can be serialized. Often, tasks can not be serialized in a meaningful way.

It’s a difficult concept to even imagine, but the closest I can get is that before my brain formed I experienced nothing, and that must be what being dead is like. I have general anaesthetic three times in my life and again I imagine this must be pretty close, as you drift off into unconsciousness, but in this instance (hopefully) you regain consciousness with no memory at all of the interceding time. A bit like Lazarus being raised from the dead, but apparently had fuck all to say about the experience, nor was anyone minded to ask or write a fucking word about it down.

I agree about The Witches of Eastwick.

1 Like

Welcome to AR, and I’m not sure religion ever made any objective discoveries.