New guy who believes in God

It is my distinct pleasure to correct you on this…

I disagree. I am an atheist and I do not run around murdering and raping. In fact I prefer the opposite in helping my neighbors.

This is one of the massive injustices such as christianity does to people, it degrades them. From the instant of our birth to after we die we are sinners, bad people, inferior, doomed to a life of sin. I disagree. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Some lean towards being more selfish that others, others the opposite.

3 Likes

Welcome to Atheist Republic skriten.

We’re all right, that is why popcorn sales have spiked.

Yeah David I have to agree here. Being told over and over that we are all born in sin and subject to moral failure on a regular basis certainly sets the bar rather low for acceptable behavior. It would seem obvious that instructing children (and adults) in fundamentals of human behavior would provide a much more stable foundation for developing a beneficent, empathetic, accepting, tolerant, caring personality than pre-loading minds with self doubt and self-loathing. If you grow up (like I did) being told you are doomed to be a sinner, then of course you would welcome a “savior”. This poisoning of minds was also used against Indigenous Americans by destroying their lives and livings and then proclaiming that “Our God can deliver you from your suffering and misery”. Sorrowfully, for many Natives the message hit home and was accepted as truth in the face of annihilation or complete loss of culture.

Thanks…for the popcorn

1 Like

DSM5 DELUSIONAL DISORDER:
Delusional disorder is an illness characterized by at least 1 month of delusions but no other psychotic symptoms, according to the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5 ). [[1](javascript:void(0);)] Delusions are false beliefs based on incorrect inference about external reality that persist despite the evidence to the contrary;
NOW: With that said, and likely because the USA is 80% Christian. The DSM5 tacks on this last little sentence. "these beliefs are not ordinarily accepted by other members of the person’s culture or subculture." So, if everyone in a culture is delusional, it is not actually 'delusional." Does that really make any sense at all?

Reminds me of the Buddhist story of, “The Kind King.” He lived in a castle on a high hill and was renowned for his kindness throughout the kingdom. He was loved by his subjects and he loved them and always treated everyone fairly.

One day an evil witch came into the village and poisoned the water in the well. When the people of the village drank the water, they became crazy and they began to hate their king. They fought in the streets and shouted profanities to the castle walls.

The kind King, wondering why all the people of the town had turned against him, decided to go to the town and talk to the people. Surely he would be able to fix this misunderstanding.

He mounted his horse and headed into the town. The ride down the mountain was hot. As he entered the town all the people were hiding. The kind King would see a door slam or someone moving a curtain aside to peek out a window.

Coming to a halt in front of the town well, the King was hot and thirsty so he decided to draw a cup of water. He dipped his cup into the bucket and took a long drink of the poisoned water. At that moment the people rejoiced and came running from their homes. All was right in the world once again, the kind king had returned.

The Christian version of delusion is primarily of two types and this earns them a diagnosis of “Mixed Delusions.” Persecutory* (i.e., belief that one is going to be harmed by an individual, organization, or group) *or magical being if they don’t do what they are told. Or by the evil Satan monster who waits for them around every corner and causes them to do bad things. *** grandiose (i.e., belief that the individual has exceptional abilities, wealth, or fame), Like they have direct access to and can communicate with the all-powerful God and creator of the universe. The only real god, by the way. I suppose I could make an argument for " erotomanic, delusions as well. (i.e., a false belief that another individual is in love with him/her), After all, Jesus Loves Them And this is asserted even though he promised them that he did not come to bring peace but a sword and that he plans to rip families apart and that most of them are going to hell anyway. Okay, one more delusional possibility. Should I go back and change the number to 4. Not every Christian hits every mark. Only 2 are required for the diagnosis. This is the last type of delusion the Christians may exhibit; *** “nihilistic:” (i.e., a conviction that a major catastrophe will occur), Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, disease, pestelance, murder in the streets, rape, the wrath of God, fire from the sky, and a Holy Rapture that will destroy all heathen and elevate the Christian population to be one with their magical sky daddy in the clouds.

Yep, ethically and legally we are not allowed to connect the dots. But I gotta tell you, the correlation here is fucking amazing. LOL!

You’re going to fit in around here just great. Welcome to the site.

1 Like

See? Therein lies the problem. Because if YOU disagree with ME, there is no possible way I can be wrong. Meaning, it is obvious you can’t always be right. If you do happen to agree with me, however, then OF COURSE you will always be right, and your statement will retain its truth. See how easy that is?

1 Like

It would be easier to teach an elephant the tango than teach him something.

1 Like

I agree, the correlation is fucking amazing. That is why it is easy to assume causality.

Well of course that is incorrect in that any disagreement we might have would be the result of your own misguided assumptions of the correctness of your argument. You’re right, it is easy…

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try to keep up.

Ah. Thank you ever so kindly for proving my point, as the incorrectness of your statement just goes to show I was right all along. In all fairness, however, I am very understanding in that I know it takes some people a bit of time to get accustomed to the fact I am always right. Don’t worry, though. You will learn over time. Meanwhile, since I am such a wonderfully kind and patient man (Just ask me, I’ll tell you.), I will not hold it against you when you are wrong. Welcome aboard the Good Ship AR.

Aye’ Aye’
Very magnanimous of you to toot your own horn, er…rather toot your own Tin-Whistle…

Thank you. It’s one of my more endearing qualities. Now, stop it. You’re making me blush. :relaxed:

It’s ok…just understand what I mean when I tell you to go toot your own horn.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: Yep, you will fit in nicely around here. :joy::joy::joy:

Did he just say he was a Donald Trump supproter?

Well I am beginning to see just how low some will stoop, although I am not sure what a “supproter” is…

Here you go. This is after all an educational site.
Supporter

2 Likes

Here, these are cleaner than those. Laundry day isn’t until Thursday.