Let’s all Celebrate!

Hmmm…(thinking out loud…he wouldn’t say that if he knew our history as a tag team)
UH,Yeah…sure, safer for…whom? (chuckling to self…safe? wait till he finds out about the mechani-enema)…hey we have some special “tools” we can bring along too!
:toolbox:

Edit to note to self to “tighten nuts”

1 Like

Why don’t we just meet up at the lake?

1 Like

You’re in luck. We have a large pond right in front of our house. Full of bass and recently stocked with crappie. You can do my yard work AND a bit of fishing. Kill two birds with one stone! :smiley: (@skriten Oh, sorry, Skrit. No offense.)

1 Like

And I’ve got the hotdogs, buns, and marshmallows. If you have any graham crackers we can do Smores in the back yard as all that work goes up in flames.

Oooh Mammy Alabammmy bass! …uh, I have developed an allergy to wor…uh some certain woody plant type growing vine or tree uh…and physical exertion related to the removal and/or the modification or otherwise alteration, especially that which could be deemed laborious, for the express purpose of “appearance enhancement”…

Edit for a nap

Every ancient civilization worshiped their own sun-god during the winter solstice. We still celebrate this time of year. On or near December 25, the sun officially (astronomically) ends winter in the entire northern hemisphere which truly brings “the promise of light & replenishment to all”.

Winter was a terrible, deadly season for our ancient ancestors. Many perished due to the bitter cold and rampant starvation. No wonder the winter solstice was celebrated with such enthusiasm and joy. No wonder the sun was worshiped as a god. No wonder every sun-god sported a shiny, round halo.

I’d be willing to bet against those statements being true at 10:1. Actually I think I’d still take it at 20:1.

4 Likes

You must be kidding. Don’t you know about the origin of the ancient winter solstice celebrations? Have you never heard of Stonehenge? Wow. You ought to research this topic a bit and learn the facts. Especially if you are an atheist. This is the best refutation of the Christ myth. It closes the door on this silly superstitious belief and the origin of Christianity. EVERY ancient civilization had a sun-god that was born during the winter solstice. Look it up and learn.

I’m very serious. I’m like 99.9% sure your statements are false.

That is a non-sequitur. :woozy_face:

To be fair you made an absolute statement that every ancient civilization worshiped their own sun-god during the winter solstice. I think a sweeping claim like that incurs a burden of proof.

That’s an odd non sequitur, and you’d need to link a citation to demonstrate how the existence of Stonehenge supports your claim, but it would still only be one example of course.

Since you made a sweeping claim, it’s for you to present sufficient objective evidence it is true, and atheism has no relevance I can see at all?

Well the fact it is an unevidenced myth means no refutation is required for me, but no I don’t believe it is anyway. How about the scientific fact that it is impossible for human bodies to reanimate into a living organism, after they’ve been dead long enough for rigor mortis to set in. Coupled with it being based on anonymous hearsay, those are far more compelling refutations than the fact early Christians likely encompassed existing aspects of earlier religions like the winter solstice.

Wrong again obviously, as there are still billions of Christians. Unless you meant that you personally find this to be the case, in which case you worded that fairly poorly.

Oh like Nyarl I think I’d need you to properly evidence your claim yourself, why would we do your research for you, that’s not how it works.

1 Like

Didn’t we already do this Winter Solstice bullshit. You didn’t learn a damn thing from the last time you tried this> Are you serious?

1 Like

Andy Andy Andy… Have you never heard of Stonehenge? Why would you write such ignorance?

Stonehenge’s builders left no known written records, so scholars (and non-scholars) have long speculated about why it was constructed. In the early 12th century, Geoffrey of Monmouth, one of the first people to write about the ancient site, claimed it was erected as a memorial to hundreds of Britons who were slayed by the Saxons. According to Geoffrey, the wizard Merlin supposedly directed that the stones for the monument be procured from the Giants’ Ring, a stone circle with magical healing powers said to be located in Ireland. Another theory, suggested by John Aubrey and 18th century archaeologist William Stukeley, is that Stonehenge was built as a Druid temple. Modern scholars say Stonehenge’s construction predated the Druids; however, present-day Druids view it as a sacred spot.

Another theory, introduced in the 1960s, holds that Stonehenge was an astronomical computer used to predict eclipses. And in 2008, archaeologists suggested that Stonehenge was a center for healing, a prehistoric version of Lourdes that attracted the sick and injured. Meanwhile, there’s a contingent of people who believe Stonehenge is a landing pad for ancient space aliens, and British authorities have received reports from the public about UFOs hovering near the famous monument.

WHAT IN THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT STONEHENGE? Seriously, you need to do some reading.

First held in 1974 during the summer solstice, the Stonehenge Free Festival started as a counter-culture gathering that grew significantly in size over time. After tens of thousands of people showed up for the 1984 festival, authorities, concerned about such issues as open drug use, banned the event for the following year. Nevertheless, on June 1, 1985, a long convoy of vehicles filled with would-be festival goers (who were part of a movement called the New Age Travellers) made its way toward Stonehenge.

About seven miles from the ancient site, police stopped the convoy. Accounts of what happened next vary: Law enforcement officers claimed they were attacked by people in the vehicles, while those in the convoy said the police dragged various individuals, unprovoked, from their vehicles and beat them. The Travellers fled to a nearby beanfield, where they were surrounded by police, and more violence ensued. Two dozen people were hospitalized, and numerous arrests were made. In the aftermath of the so-called Battle of the Beanfield, summer solstice gatherings at Stonehenge were prohibited until 2000.

ARE you feeling stupid yet?

4 Likes

There is no question that this ancient structure (and others) was constructed in order to pinpoint the exact moment in time that the winter solstice and the summer solstice occurred. This giant “clock” was very important because it announced the seasons. The natural “newborn sun” predates the supernatural “newborn sun”, by thousands of years. Without a doubt, Christmas is just a reincarnation of the winter solstice celebration. Please embrace facts and become an informed atheist.

Here is one of many authoritative accounts that explains the purpose of Stonehenge —> https://www.britishmuseum.org/blog/here-comes-sun-stonehenge-and-summer-solstice

Groovy, and what has that to do with your claim about ALL ancient civilisations? Are you perhaps using this one straw man example to avoid addressing that claim?

I’m growing weary having to educate you numbskulls who have no clue about the winter solstice but sneer at the facts I keep presenting. I thought that we atheists are the ones who embrace facts and reject nonsense. but you so-called atheists are just a s ignorant as theists. Indeed, you seem to relish in ignoring facts and being wrong.

Regardless, I will once again, do your homework for you so you will (HOPEFULLY) begin to embrace the facts, which I keep presenting and which I have researched extensively over the last 30 years.

Here… This is one of countless factual accounts of the history of the winter solstice, which has been celebrated by ancient cultures and civilizations all over the world. (Feel free to hate ME, but don’t hate FACTS.)
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH —>

You said all ancient civilisations, and your post also included a claim about sun gods. So far you seem unable to even understand the full import of your claim, let alone properly evidence it.

Yet have failed to show that ALL ancient civilisations worshipped sun gods, which was what you claimed.

Various is not all see?

So where is your evidence for the claim that “Every ancient civilization worshiped their own sun-god during the winter solstice”? One or two examples don’t of course come close to evidencing your claim. You do understand the difference right, I mean a self styled genius like you must do?

It’s actually on the 21st or 22nd in the northern hemisphere. The fact that religions evolve and absorb aspects of earlier religions is not news to anyone here of course, they just tend to be wary of the kind of unevidenced hyperbole you seem to enjoy posting.

1 Like

Poor Poor Ignorant Andy:
I’ll do you a favor and let you hear it from the horse’s mouth and not some third rate reporter’s version of what he or she thinks Dr. Greany has said. FROM Her Own MOUTH, FROM Her Own LECTURE.

Go to 18:20 - “We know a hell of a lot, but there is a point you get to and then there are competing theories.”

NEXT: You should probably understand someone’s research before you go quoting it. The world heritage site, Stonehenge, has both a geographical location (that specific area that is protected) and a specific time period. (That time period that we can research.) Stonehenge is estimated to be 5000 years old. “It was built in several stages: the first monument was an early Stonehenge monument, built about 5,000 years ago , and the unique stone circle was erected in the late Neolithic period about 2500 BC.” Dr Greaney limited her study to the NEOLITHIC AND EARLY BRONZE AGE.

Her research begins at 1600 BC - That leaves an early 1,500 years unaccounted for. Her rationale for this was “You have to draw a boundary somewhere or else you would be there forever.” 16:10

Poor Poor Andy - Little bubbles of belief keep popping. Where do you think you are? People around here DO THE RESEARCH! You are not blathering your nonsense to theists.

Your Winter Solstice Myth has died.

About as elegant as your airbrush art.

1 Like

It is a well known fact that all of our ancient ancestors were well aware of the winter solstice because it announced the end of winter and the promise of light and replenishment to come. Naturally, every civilization celebrated this joyous day and worshiped the sun as their savior. Read all about it. This celebration is 100% natural and human. There is no god or gods involved. —>