Let’s all Celebrate!

Happy Winter Solstice! Good night to another year.

4 Likes

-43 here! Definitely celebrating the sun coming back.

1 Like

Was hoping for Snowmageddon here but got only a few inches. :frowning:

2 Likes

I always celebrate the return of the fire…:fire:
It’s just getting ready to get stupid here. -300F,
Hurricane force winds, 3 meters of ice, and worst of all…no sunshine for a month…but I am trying to be optimistic…:exploding_head:
At least there are no earthquakes predicted…
Happy Solstice you fucking heathens!!!

Edit: how far is Costa Rica?

2 Likes

No snow either but it’s freezing out in the mornings.

Wait for it…it’s coming for you…

Edit: well digger’s ass

It is this Friday. Not looking forward to it. My family has had to cancel holiday eve. We’re thinking about next weekend. Oh well, at least I’ll have the day off.

1 Like

It is 36 degrees Celsius here…and has been all week and will be until end of March. We may get a storm sometime but thats it…30 -45 degrees every day.

1 Like

Krispy Kreme and coffee for breakfast on a cold winter morning. Driving to work with frost on the windows. A bottle of Jameson Irish Whisky on the seat next to me as a predictor of the festivities yet to come. The sun peaking out over the mountain tops and splashing a wintery glow across the bay. All is in perfect preparation for the New Year Celebration.

2 Likes

I celebrate this day, it means gardening season is almost here. My favorite place when I’m not elbows deep in machinery.

4 Likes

Is that something normal? I’m a lift technician, electrical by school, machinist by trade (working on both traction and hydraulic lifts, from installation to maintenance and modernisation) but it I love my plants and my garden. I live in a ground floor apartment so I have a small garden. My in-laws live in a village nearby where we have a bigger garden and some animals.
I know people that escape from village to work in industry and avoid garden work, but I don’t know many people that enjoy gardening.

1 Like

I’m currently looking for a home in Ky. USA. One of the things I want is a backyard where I can grow some fruits and veggies. There is something about vine-ripened watermelons, tomatoes, cantaloupes, corn or anything else one happens to grow that cannot be matched by supermarket produce.

1 Like

I think it is, it is a feeling of independence for me. I feel like I am supporting myself and not burdening our food systems as much. I also like the dichotomy of it, the artificial vs natural aspect. Almost a boringly metaphorical yin and Yang. A balance of different elements.

Plus I grew up around farms, so machines and plants just kind of go together here. Tractors, combines, plows, etc. little bit of old world and little bit of new world. I am very fortunate to have a nice plot of land, considered a small in my suburban hell, but I love it. Plus as @Cognostic has said, nothing tastes better than straight off the vine. I have quite a large collection of perennial food producers at this point. Can’t beat it with how good prices are.

1 Like

I live in the city but have fourteen raised beds in my backyard that are 4x12’ each. The greenhouse is, where I start everything from seed, is 8x15’. I grow a great deal of food and can it or store it for over the winter. It’s all organic and pesticide free.
(If you should wonder if it’s non-GMO, of course not. If what you eat cannot be found growing wild in nature, then it’s GMO.)

3 Likes

I live in an over 55 complex of 10 units, very small yards but: in pots and 3 small raised beds I grow Passion fruit, grapevine, Coffee bush, Lemonade tree, Peacherine, Mandarin, Bay tree, Curry leaf tree, Tahitian Lime, Nasturtium, Thyme, Mint, Parsley, strawberry guava, Native guava, Chilean cherry, Blueberry bush, Mulberry Tree, Fejova, Tomatoes, a host of different pelargonium, celery, Geraniums.

I am just waiting for the artichokes. I hide some plants on the common area gardens…until harvest

Surrounding our complex we have a giant pomegranite, several mango trees which I pinch fruit from whenever in season!

4 Likes

What a smart lady… the RESPECT - 0 - METER just jumped throug the roof.

That’s great! I had a friend that did something like that with a little porch space in an apartment complex and hydroponics.

I will put up pics if anyone wants!

1 Like

How do you prepare them? I just planted some artichokes last season. I’ve always enjoyed them canned, never fresh though.

I find it amazing more people in the states don’t plant perennial harvesters. I have grapes, goji berries, raspberries, apple, plum, blueberry, fig, and horseradish which all come back every year on their own. Next year will be more insane, I’m looking at hardy kiwi plants that survive all the way up in Massachusetts. I’ve said fuck having a yard full of grass to mow and maintain, why not have a forest of food in my yard.

1 Like

Would love to see pics!