Atheists & Pagans Mutual Goal

Yes. But with the likes of Trump and Bolsonaro and like-minded corrupt, ignorant, science-denying, bullying, selfish and greedy circle-jerking politicians/persons in power, all the greedy industry leaders and ruthless opportunists that can only see $$$ will continue to destroy the environment, and it will escalate. They only know one thing: more $$$ in their own pockets, and fuck the rest of the planet. Face it, we need politicians that can make and implement laws and policies to stop the greedy bastards and to make destructive behaviour an undesirable way to go, or at least redirect their attention and greed into something less destructive. And that needs to be done, even if they have to be shamed into doing it.

That is true. But we also need people who can draw attention to the problems, and who can rally people to do what’s necessary, not because they’re just told to do so, but because they become convinced it’s the right thing to do. And that’s where Ms. Thunberg fits in. So far.

1 Like

These environmentalists and climate change activists use the same carbon emitting stuff to spread their messages. That makes them no different than the rest of us folks, some of whom, are struggling just to survive, like the poor, diseased people in Africa.

We already are aware. Those who do not want to do something about this should be left behind. The rest of the human race can advance without them.

So what ever happened to @Socialdarwin? This is his thread. Did he get bored, or was he banned? His arguments are just horrible. Yuck.

Do not overgeneralize, because that weakens your arguments. You have issues with Greta Thunberg, so let’s stick to her. She does what she can to reduce her own carbon footprint, for example by not travelling with airplanes. Your generalization above therefore does not apply, unless you mean she cannot use modern technology that uses electricity to do her thing, and that only non-environmentalists should be able to use electricity and modern electronic means of communication. She’d be pretty inefficient if she could only stand on a soapbox on a street corner and talk to people.

You make it sound like Africa is one homogeneous country where only misery exists, and that misery only exists in Africa. That is pretty ignorant, and it’s an uncalled-for overgeneralization.

Having said that, you don’t repair the damage done just by planting trees, it’s not a panacea. What you really need is a stop in carbon emissions (perhaps also combined with some sort of carbon recapture), and new non-carbon-releasing forms of energy supply. To do that, you need to convince politicians and other policy-makers to implement the necessary changes to hasten the transition to renewable energy sources and to stop the destruction caused by greed and corruption. And activism Greta-style is one aspect of that solution.

1 Like

See article above. The very same people who advocate for fixing environment, use the same stuff as us, which harms the environment. That includes Ms. Thunberg.

As for the the politicians…,forget them, they are useless. Trying to convince them to help is a useless endeavor. If we want to tackle this problem, then we should do it without them. Politicians only care about power and votes. Trying to save the planet from climate change is not very high on their political agenda.

oilprice.com - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News”? Really?

That opinion peace is loaded with whataboutism to smear a 16 year old (it was written 2 years ago). “Greta Thunberg tries to reduce her carbon footprint. Oh yeah? Look at all these emissions over here! Humbug!” This is classical tactics to undermine credibility. They imply that Greta Thunberg is a hypocrite since she cannot lead a life totally without oil and petroleum products:

Still, even when your name is Greta Thunberg, oil and fossil fuels is an essential part of your life, including her megaphone, which we bet is made from petroleum.

Yes, and guess who perpetuates the need for petroleum and petroleum products? The petroleum industry.

Can’t you find a more objective and neutral source for your arguments?

No, and I am not interested. I mentioned Greta, because Obama getting a Nobel Peace Prize just seemed strange.

You want to win a Nobel Peace Prize? Figure out a way to find lasting peace in the Middle East. Did Obama do that? No. So why did he get a Nobel Peace Prize? Maybe Greta Thunberg should have gotten it, for bringing to our attention, the danger of climate change. That makes more sense than Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize.

And if we do not do anything about climate change, you can kiss our existence goodbye!!!

I am wondering if Greta can major in Environmental Science in college or university. That would help her out a lot more in her causes. Oh well.

Have never been especially impressed by Greta Thunberg. I accept that she’s probably sincere. So what? She has the passion of the undereducated adolescent with their simplistic world view.

Her chiding of politicians especially is risible. She seems to have a bit of influence, but no power with which sanctions cam be imposed.

Imo, the changes in renewable energy have occurred only because there is profit to be made. Without that motive, only a very big stick or many very big sticks will change the behaviour of the greedy market.

If I were 18, Greta would probably really impress me. But I’m not so she doesn’t

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I was 16 in 1963. With many of my peers, I thought John Lennon was deep and a genius… couldn’t see that hippies tended to be a bunch of entitled bourgeois wankers doing liberal arts on daddy’s dime.–and consequently were in no danger of being sent to the Vietnam war.

We were the baby boomers and we were gonna change the world! Didn’t we do bang up job! My generation gave the world President Donald J Trump, and decades of war in the Middle East. All the while busily making our planet uninhabitable for our grandchildren though our insatiable greed for more.

1 Like

Yes…and that makes me feel sick. We only have so much left of petroleum, before we run out. The sooner we implement alternative sources. the better. And yes, as mentioned before, screw the politicians, they are useless.

I agree. The reason why I mentioned hypocrisy, is to knock them off the pedestal, by which seems to put them above the rest of the human species. Yes, what they are doing is good, but at the end of the day, they are no different than us.

That is already quite close. The price of petrol in my city reaches $1.69 a litre , which is over $AU6 a gallon. It’s rising oil prices [and government subsidies] which have made renewable energy and electric cars profitable, and on the cusp of far greater profits.

In my city there is a 2 week price cycle, during which time petrol prices range from $1.69 to about $1.22 a litre. Fortunately for me, I drive a 1400 cc Mazda jelly bean. A tank of petrol (40 litres) lasts me a month. I also have a solar power system, because South Australia has some of the most expensive electricity in the world, at about 45 cents a kWH

I am thinking of going solar myself, actually, as it cuts down on electricity costs and helps the environment. I hate that we humans are destroying such a beautiful planet. SMH.

Well - the pressure from groups do make some oil advocates aware and more responsible. To find a more neutral source for the other side of the coin? That’s hard…not impossible.
The “need for petroleum” products is not just oil/gas for energy. In some countries, this is the best choice, as some areas of the earth would benefit better from solar, and other geothermal…etc, etc.

The products? Over 6000 in your everyday life. Now could there be better, responsible usage? Yah. BUT I grew up in the era of “save the forests” and seeing paper bags as a “one time” alternative makes me sick :face_vomiting:. Reusable? BUT that is a “person” choice. Our responsibility too. Our product usage too.

Here our government provides a large subsidy towards installing a solar system. (on mine it came to 40%)

My system is rated at 5kw (18 panels, facing north) Be aware that solar panels are only between 20-17% efficient.

Mine is a net feed in system, which means the electricity generated is first used by the house. Any excess is fed into the grid. I get 11cents/kWH. That is then sold back to me at 44-45 cents/kWH. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: South Australia has about 300 days of sunshine a year.

After the rebate, my system cost me $3000. I’ve had it for five years. It has reduced my power bill by about 30% a year.

I should add that South Australia has some of the most expensive in the world, at around 44 cents /kWH. . The average cost of electricity in New York state is about 17 cents /kWH,which is high!!. Average for the US as a whole is closer to 11cents (I looked it up) A solar power system may not be economic for you.

I would have preferred a wind turbine in the back yard. They’re more efficient than solar panels and the payback time is much shorter.

If you decide you want solar panels, for goodness sake do your homework, especially about the company you choose to install your system. There are a lot of cowboys around.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. Remember that her best known utterances came from a 16 year old. You can criticize her style and whatnot, but don’t do it as you would criticize an adult professional(*). A kid should get constructive feedback, to help him/her improve. Not like the kind of “feedback” other high-profile politicians give. Like Trump, who spent a comparatively amazing lot of time on bullying a 16-year old in public. That’s downright disgusting behaviour. And Jair Bolsonaro, who called her a “brat”. That is totally out of order, and any comebacks from Greta to these two idiots were well deserved, chiding or not.

In any case, the fact that power people like Trump and Bolsonaro and the oil industry is attacking her gives a strong indication that they feel/felt threatened by her and her message. And that’s quite an achievement for a teenager, whether you like her style and message or not. I suspect/expect that we will hear and see a lot more from her in the future.

(*) Also remember that Greta Thunberg has Aspbergers, and had selective mutism until she got engaged in the climate cause. She refers to her Aspergers as her “superpower”; she knows fully well she is different than other kids, and she doesn’t consider it a disadvantage.

1 Like

As it turns out, so do I. (diagnosed in 2

Thanks. I have not decided yet. I do want to move out west to Arizona, where they get plenty of sunlight, so going solar would work. And yes, always do your homework!!!