Will the world be a better place without religion

I literally just explained in another thread that I’m looking at starting a nonprofit community garden because of this exact reason religious persecution from Christianity here in the USA. I argue I’m more Christian and more American than they all are. Caring for all my fellow humans regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, etc. Just help your surrounding humans, you don’t need a sky wizard holding you hostage to his will to do the right thing! It’s called society, to maintain your comfortable lifestyle in society you need to help others maintain their comfortable lifestyles.

I enjoy not having to remove my own garbage from my property. So I pay the garbage men, and in turn they maintain their level in society. If I don’t pay the garbage men, I have to remove the garbage, or it piles up, both options take away my time and comfort. So I have a moral obligation to maintain my level in society without a ridiculous deity!!! Holy shit I just found morals without god, this can’t be possible, ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIOOOOIIIOOOIOoooooo….oooo………o.

1 Like

I did. I have spent more than one vacation behind bars. I have also beaten people up for nothing, done horrible things. You know that most big cities have the bad part of town, and in that part of town there are even badder places with even badder people. I was one of them.

I even wore a special ring with an eagle’s head on my right index finger. Why? Because when it was time to have fun, I was the one who wanted to be the first to draw blood.

The kicker … At that era in my life I was a theist.

LOL, I met someone like you in a gym one day. He walked up to me and called me a fucking asshole. (I kid you not.) I squared off against him thinking there was going to be a row. He was a couple inches taller than me and had arms twice the size as mine. A weight lifter look about him, tattooed, biker looking, medium long hair. (And when I say squared off, I am not stupid, I don’t mean square, I mean side on, one hand on my chin, I think I was rubbing my nose, ready for action.)

“You are exactly the kind of guy I hate.” he said. “I would walk up and start giving you shit, and then you would kick the shit out of me. My name’s Mark.” He extenced his hand. I shook it.

I had been practicing slow side kicks in the mirror and seeing how many I could do prior to droping my leg. At that time I could keep my side kick about 5 feet off the floor. Interesting thing about side kicks, Once you get past horrizontal, your leg rests on itslef and it gets very easy to hold it in place. The hard part is gettng it past horrizontal.

Anyway, we became friends. Not close but close enough to say ‘Hi’ at the gym and have ‘health drinks’ at the gym bar occasionally and talk. Just a fun story you reminded me of.

1 Like

What sanctimonious moral high ground? You claimed:

Bobthedog That is my opinion and nothing will change it.

I merely pointed out this claim of yours defines the phrase closed minded.

Bobthedog With billions believing they are doing gods work is shows the low iq of them.

Again, please explain if you believe this applies to one third of Nobel laureates? You seem to have gone for an ad hominem fallacy, rather than any cogent or honest response?

Likewise my response pointed out that the quote you paraphrased doesn’t mean all religious people do only bad things, so it helps if you understand what a quote means before you use it to support an argument.

You responded with:

I mean to infer that your response was flippant, evasive, and ill considered. Since you simply stamped your foot and demanded I accept that you’re right, when I demonstrated this was not the case, and you didn’t even address it. Maybe you’ve decided debate is not for you?

1 Like

I can definitely empathise there, I did some things that were foolish, and some that were deeply embarrassing. I guess I was just lucky that smart phones weren’t around to record it all. The best any of us can do is learn from our experiences and try hard to behave better, and not repeat such failures.

2 Likes

Getting rid of the “this is just a rehearsal” for your infinite life would help the world.

No reward for shitty behavior in support of any religion be rewarded.

No chance to reap a reward by asking for it at sometime after your shitty behavior.

Move on and do better is the best path.

I wonder if many christians really thought it through. A thousand years is a very long time, a million, yikes. But eternity? And what does one do in heaven? The bible is specific, this god only desires one thing, to be worshiped. Spend eternity on your knees praying and kissing the ass (hopefully the better position) of this god.

Seriously, I remember being a child and being terrified by the concept of eternity. The natural order of things is eventually we cease to exist. I literally cried in fear of living forever and how awful it sounded. To this day it still frightens me a bit, it’s one of the best sci-fi elements in my opinion. Seeing characters trying to live forever, and their demise or descent into madness is a fascinating concept to me. What truly would happen to our minds over eternity?

My heart bleeds for you petal.

People that post here are atheist. That means they don’t believe in God (the Abrahamic deity worshipped by Jews, Christians and Muslims) or gods worshipped by religions such as animism, Hinduism and those worshipped American Native, Wiccans, Druids, etc. It is an error to include Buddhism in the list of religions that Atheist Republic members rale against. Buddhism is a non-theistic religion. The historical Buddha never declared himself to be a god and he was never considered a god after his death (apotheosis). He was an enlightened human. I have been a Buddhist for 35 years. I don’t “pray” to Buddha or have images of him, There are persons that are ignorant and offer prayers to Buddha or ask for things. There are many in Asia who still mix Brahmanism in their practice. The Tibetan Buddhist mix in many elements of the old Bon (theistic and animistic) religion. The Won sect in Korea has no Buddha images and is atheistic. Many Western persons are “Secular Buddhists”. From a religious standpoint most Buddhists today are atheists or agnostics. The basic teachings of Buddha and the moral precepts make no mention of Buddha, deities, prayers, salvation, etc. There are no “holy sacraments” [Buddhist marriages are civil] and no authoritative Holy Scriptures". Buddhist monks are not priests. In fact anyone, theists or atheists can practice Buddhism. Finally, I come from a scientific background [medicine]. There is no conflict between science and Buddhism. Albert Einstein considered Buddha and Spinoza as religious persons. See his speech “Science and Religion”. He wrote the forward to Homer Smith’s “Man and his Gods”. Carl Jung wrote the long introduction to D T Suzuki’s “Introduction to Zen”. My favorite quote from Jung: “God is a metaphysical assertion”. Please don’t include Buddhism in with theistic (god-based) religions. Buddha was a real person, a teacher, not a god, not a personal savior, not an apotheosis.

Read Sigmund Freud’s “The Future of An Illusion” (1928). In this short book he explains why religion (mostly Christianity in Europe) will decline. He wrote that as people become more educated they realize that religious consolation is a con used by holders of social and political power. He accurately predicted what is happening in the RC Church. Unfortunately in the US there is a new con promoted by mega churches: prosperity gospel. This is a perversion of Calvinism. Very delusional and cult-like but some people lap it up. The Evangelicals are leading this con game to establish a theocracy. I think this eventually won’t work. Southern Protestants, hard core Catholics. and ultra-orthodox Jews team up on a few political issues but are far apart theologically. Read the history. The KKK is anti-Catholic, and anti-Semitic. Catholics used to call Jews “Christ Killers” and referred to Martin Luther as the “Devil Incarnate”. Most traditional Christians consider Mormons as heretics. No-way are the NYC Hassidim going to accept a messiah in DC. These and the Nation of Islam will be at each others throats as they always have.

Deva (Buddhism) - Wikipedia(%E0%A4%A6%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B5%20Sanskrit%20and,to%20them%20as%20to%20Buddhas.
You obviously do not know your Buddhist sects: (Some Buddhist sects do not worship gods. Nearly all Buddhist sects worship godlike beings.)

NO THERE IS NO ERROR - YOU HAVE NOT STUDIED BUDDHISM.

A Deva (देव Sanskrit and Pāli, Mongolian tenger (тэнгэр)) in Buddhism is a type of celestial being or gods who share the god-like characteristics of being more powerful, longer-lived, and, in general, much happier than humans, although the same level of veneration is not paid to them as to Buddhas.

Other words used in Buddhist texts to refer to similar supernatural beings are devatā “deities” and devaputta “son of god”. While the former is a synonym for deva “celestials” the latter refers specifically to one of these beings who is young and has newly arisen in its heavenly world.

• The Śuddhāvāsa devas are the rebirths of Anāgāmins, Buddhist religious practitioners who died just short of attaining the state of Arhat Brahma Sahampati, who appealed to the newly enlightened Buddha to teach, was an Anagami from a previous Buddha. They guard and protect Buddhism on earth, and will pass into enlightenment as Arhats. when they pass away from the Śuddhāvāsa worlds. The highest of these worlds is called *Akaniṣṭha.

• The Bṛhatphala devas remain in the tranquil state attained in the fourth dhyāna.

• The Śubhakṛtsna devas rest in the bliss of the third dhyāna.

• The Ābhāsvara devas enjoy the delights of the second dhyāna. They are also more interested in and involved with the world below than any of the higher devas, and sometimes intervene with advice and counsel.

• The Parinirmita-vaśavartin devas, luxurious devas to whom Māra belongs;

• The Nirmāṇarati devas;

• The Tuṣita devas, among whom the future Maitreya lives (they are also referred to as the Contented Devas.

• The Yāma devas (or Devas of the Hours);

• The Trāyastriṃśa devas, who live on the peak of Sumeru and are something like the Olympian gods Their ruler is Śakra
    Sakka, as he is called in pali, is a Sotapanna and a devotee of the Buddha. These are also known as the Devas of the Thirty-Three.

• The Cāturmahārājikakāyika devas, who include the martial kings who guard the four quarters of the Earth. The chief of these kings is Vaiśravaṇa but all are ultimately accountable to Śakra. They also include four types of earthly demigod or nature-spirit: Kumbhāṇḍas Gandharvas. Nāgas mythology Yakṣas and probably also the Garuḍas.

Buddhist devas differ from the western conception of gods and angels in several ways:

Buddhist devas are not immortal. Their lives as devas began sometime in the past when they died and were reborn. They live for very long but finite periods of time, ranging from thousands to (at least) billions of years] When they pass away, they are reborn as some other sort of being, perhaps a different type of deva, perhaps a human or something beyond comprehension. The Lamrim mentions that devas are often reborn into lower realms of suffering like the Narkras and Pretas because their existence consumes a lot of good karma, but they can also be reborn as humans and animals.
Buddhist devas do not create or shape the world. They come into existence based upon their past karmas and they are as much subject to the natural laws of cause and effect as any other being in the universe. They also have no role in the periodic dissolutions of worlds.

Buddhist devas are not incarnations of a few archetypal deities or manifestations of a god. Nor are they merely symbols. They are considered to be, like humans, distinct individuals with their own personalities and paths in life.

Buddhist devas are not omniscient nor omnipotent Their powers tend to be limited to their own worlds, and they rarely intervene in human affairs. When they do, it is generally by way of quiet advice rather than by physical intervention.

Buddhist devas are not morally perfect. The devas of the worlds of the Rūpadhātu do lack human passions and desires, but some of them are capable of ignorance, arrogance and pride. The devas of the lower worlds of the Kāmadhātu experience the same kind of passions that humans do, including (in the lowest of these worlds), lust, jealousy, and anger. It is, indeed, their imperfections in the mental and moral realms that cause them to be reborn in these worlds.

Buddhist devas are not to be considered as equal to a Buddhist refuge. While some individuals among the devas may be beings of great moral authority and prestige and thus deserving of a high degree of respect and veneration (in some cases, even being enlightened practitioners of the Dharma), no deva can ultimately be taken as the way of escape from samsara or control one’s rebirth. The highest honors are reserved to the Three Jewels of Dharma, and Saṅg

You have confounded modern Buddhist Philosophy with Religion. They are not the same. I have Buddhist temples on every mountain and shrines to the spirits in every river. The locations of every temple are based on ancient Shaman principles. The construction of temples are designed specifically to keep evil spirits away. Superstition, spirits, godlike beings, omens, and the like, run deep in the Buddhist tradition.

YOU ARE OF COURSE WEONG AGAIN:

During the reign of Kanishka who was the great ruler of Kushana dynasty disputes were found among Buddhism. Kanishka called fourth Buddhist council at Kundalvana in Kashmir to resolve these disputes. After this council, two major sects of Buddhism came into existence named as Hinayana and Mahayana. Kanishka became the follower of Mahayana sect. Mahayana sect had their faith in worshipping Buddha as a God in form of images rather than in form of symbols. So basically after the fourth council, Buddha was being worshipped in form of images. During Kanishka’s reign, a lot of images of Buddha’s were constructed.

Today, Buddhists do not believe in any kind of deity or god, HOWEVER, there are supernatural figures who can help or hinder people on the path towards enlightenment. (Spirits, Demons, Supernatural forces, Angels, Jin, the magic of Karma and past lives, and more.) Now you can pretend that none of this shit is related to ‘god’ with a small ‘g;’ but your not convincing me. The ignorance my friend is yours. Again you are confounding Buddhist philosophy with the actual religion and worship.

Buddhism is mixed with everything here in Asia. It is mixed with Brahmanism in Tibet. It is mixed with folk religions in China. Here in Korea it is mixed with Shamanism. It has a heavy Shamin influence in Japan as well. Thailand also heavily influenced by Chinese folk traditions. Buddhist monks in India merged with Hindu society. Buddhism changed in every country it went to. WHAT’S YOUR POINT?

1 Like