Why Are Theist So Sure Of Their God?

Ummm? “egregious?” Are we burning our candle at both ends? Heads I win, tails you lose? Do I smell an equivocation around the corner?

Yea, yea, I think I know what you meant, but I am going to step around that hole just the same. :slight_smile:

Of course not, that would be far too sophisticated for me. I was trying to avoid being unkind to our new little chew toy, Derekwhat’shisname

What strikes me is that not once in all the times I’ve seen a theist make this claim, have they been able to demonstrate an example of an absolute or objective moral.

Nor do their problems stop there of course. Let’s say for the sake of argument a deity exists, and it’s communicated its unequivocal moral rules.

How would they know this divine diktat were in fact moral? If as they claim we don’t know what is moral, and need a deity to tell us, then we’re no more moral following that diktat, as morality is the ability to differentiate between right and wrong behaviours and acts, if as they claim we can’t do this then they’re just blindly following the rules, even “good” Nazis managed that. If however they can tell whether divine diktat is moral or not, then quite obviously we don’t need it.

To any theist using the argument from morality, I’d ask why is anything immoral?

If the best they can do is point to the bible, then we’re done, as apart from the fact this is an argument from assertion fallacy, the bible depicts a deity that is demonstrably evil wicked and cruel, even by primitive human standards.

1 Like

So then what of the God or Gods of the Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Greeks, Norse, the Egyptians, Shintoism, the deities of Tibetan Buddhism, etc… They are all false? Isn’t that rather arrogant and presumptuous to say that YOUR God is the only one? Such arrogance!

So with God, you can prove anything? Sounds like the “God of the Gaps” argument, being used for logic and proof: “we don’t know, ergo, God!” In that case, why God? Why does it have to be God?

1 Like

Then you cannot prove the existence of God, let alone the truthfulness of anything written in the Bible, or any religious text, without verifying it with objective, physical evidence, Sorry.

Wrong again Bozo Breath. You just proved you are an idiot who has no idea at all what the word "proof’ means. Presuppose magical turds for all I care, unless you can demonstrate them, I’ve no reason at all to call you sane.

@anon14261619 I guess he is perfectly qualified to be a QAnon Trump supporter, then! LMAO! :rofl:

1 Like

@Cognostic The dude is just going around in circles, trying to confuse us. I wonder why we even bother engaging in a debate or discussion with these people?

When a thread reaches that state, I usually start posting silly memes. :wink:

@David_Killens Christians often refer to God as “the most high”. I guess their God does a serious ton of weed, as well as crack cocaine, in His free time.

I mean…what is He on, and where can I get some? :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

#DivineWeed #SpiritualCocaine

1 Like

Demonstrate? Perhaps not. Claim? Constantly, that abortion is wrong, period, perhaps the most obvious example.

Christianity claims to be based on a code of absolute morality. That is a lie.
Every religion reflects the society which invents it and the individual who practices it. As societies evolve, so do their moral values.

First example which comes to mind is Mosaic Law. These laws all 613 of them, are claimed to have been given to Moses by YHWH over years…

The more extreme commandments have been quietly dropped over the centuries.
I’ll stick to a few of the laws of morality, ignoring the laws of ritual abolished by Saul of Tarsus.

EG: Homosexuals are no longer killed {in most countries}, nor people who commit adultery, nor people who break the sabbath. Fathers are no longer allowed to sell their daughters into slavery [in most countries] nor may a father kill a recalcitrant child [in most countries]

Below is link to a list of all 613 mitzvah (commandments) they are known collectively as “the mitzvot” :

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/756399/jewish/The-613-Commandments-Mitzvot.htm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

PS: A link to an article reporting Pope John Paul 11 “Warning against moral relativism”

“They try to give the impression that everything is relative: even the truths of faith would depend on the human situation and on human evaluation,” he said. “We must not yield to the temptation of relativism or of a subjectivist and selective interpretation of sacred scripture. Only the whole truth can open us to adherence to Christ, dead and risen for our salvation.”

1 Like

I don’t get it? What’s silly about a cigarette after sex?

1 Like

Or just before???

1 Like

Nothing, apart from the innate stupidity of smoking in the first place.

I stopped smoking a decade after the divorce. Over the course of my marriage I often had a cigarette after sex. As the marriage limped along, it became instead of.

if there is no Creator how could you exist?? look at the flowers, trees, animals, sky, moon, stars, fish , oceans, people, babies. where the F did they come from?? Atheism is INSANE sorry I am a believer of course… I am a fanatic Roman CAtholic… why did I join this site… maybe the Holy spirit told me too… haha… anyway… what people are really saying like the abortion people… it is MY body… and I don’t want a baby… so I am going to pay someone to suck this little baby out of my body and throw it into a trash can… i don’t care… there is no God… this is what the satanists claim they belive… i actually got a Satanic Bible once cus i wanted to know what was in it… they claim there is no God, and no Satan… i told my Catholic Priest in confession that I had a satanic bible and he told me to ‘get rid of it’… he didn’t say i had to burn it. i put it in a bag and put it outside… OK… i have a really good question of course… i believe in God the Father… and Jesus… but we will just talk about God the Creator… this is my question… where did God come from ??/ how did He get to be God?? how do we know there are not other God’s that could beat up our God and take over?? this is what I worry about… also… what kind of God is He// if you read the Old Testament… you have who i like to refer to (and He told me He doesn’t liek this)… i think of Him in the the OT as the ‘mean’ God… destroying people right and left… Noah and the Ark… God destroys all the evil people with a flood… sodom and gommorrha… they burn up… not a Nice God… then we have this Jesus guy… was he God?? was He the son of God.??. was he St. Michael the ARchangel like the jehovah witnesses say… was he just a prophet… is he really dead and we hid his body for 2,000 years like the Jews say… was he a myth and never even existed… now i am going to say something that will freak out a lot of christians… the way i believe… and I am catholic… whether or not Jesus of Nazareth really rose from the dead or not… in a way it doesn’t matter// why////////////// because we Catholics believe we need both Faith and Good works to be ‘saved’ this is in the book of James… also in Revelation it says we will be judged by our works… i personally think agnosticism makes sense… i can never truly understand who/what God is… is he like a man walking around?/ the jews believe this and so do I … it says in the Bible we are in the image of likeness of God… and guess what it says the Lord was walking around in the garden of Eden so He looks like a person… lots of interesting stuff… i have been studying theology for a long time… and it fascinates me… i wish you well in your quest for the thing we call God…

Welcome Susanh

Well, there’s a whole mess of “keep taking the medication”.

I find it hilarious you will go to an untrained man in a dress living a very strange lifestyle for advice on anything, never mind your reading material.

If you have any serious questions about your beliefs, or rather the beliefs that you have absorbed, ask away. I will try my best to answer you.

1 Like

Welcome @susanh :blush:

Almost sounds like a dam burst and you’re flooded with questions.

A thread could be made for almost each one, lol.

So, here are a few of my responses to a few of your questions/statements/thoughts:

My mom and dad had sex. Animals of all sorts have sex. Seeds germinate. We can identify changing of “form” (chemical reactions, molecular bonding and structure, etc)

Lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Why is it insane to ask the same questions or make observations but withhold believing “something” without demonstrable evidence of the claim? Should I believe pleas for money from scammers based on their “claim” I get “something great” in return (future) for my hard-earned money now? So why should I believe claims that involve my life now based on “future invisible promises”?

Who’s body is it, if it’s not the woman’s? A medical doctor (not a vacuum cleaner salesman) - however before the medical doctors, there were coat hangers. Maybe if your husband takes his wife to a priest and claims she committed adultery and the baby is not his, the Priest can preform the abortion on the husband’s behalf with god’s blessing?

No surprise there. At one time Catholics didn’t have access or were allowed to read the bible.

Better question, what evidence do you have for god even existing?

Uh :roll_eyes: your Catholic theology says “yes” same guy. Don’t forget genocide. Oh and killing his own people for the smallest of “infractions”.

What evidence do you have for any god or gods?

What evidence do you have for angels?

Faith is just believing without evidence. Do you do this with all your decisions? If “Jesus” doesn’t really matter, then why give a shit about anything written about in an old book? Do you care about Greek god claims and advice? What about Buddhist claims and advice? Wait, have you no “faith” in Mohammed?

Yah.
You’re an agnostic theist. A person that believes in god/s without knowing.

I’m an agnostic atheist. I withhold belief in god/s without knowing.

Same way I withhold my money from strangers with claims, who want my “trust and faith”.

Yah. No surprise there. It’d be weird for a book written by a man to claim god made cats in his image.
The Greek gods also interacted with humans.

You could probably find a few humans on earth today claiming they are god right now. Some just claim they visit him or he visits and talks to them…

Before I begin a “quest”, I’d like some demonstrable evidence - otherwise it’s just a waste of my life, emotional resources, time & money …when I can use these valuable assets for better and more reality based…

Mind you I hear there are Unicorns in North Korea :north_korea:…I could start a quest for that! Answers me some big questions.

I was a Christian at one time and went in search of (Evidence) and found no good (Evidence) besides on religious websites.

You do know that the universe didn’t spit us out until after over 9.some billion years right? It also would not have been livable for us to even be here when Earth was first here. It was a dry planet void of any water, or any oxygen to breath. We would not be able to survive on this earth 4.5 billion years ago. Water came here (Possibly) by asteroids and comets. If we were the center of the universe we would be able to observe this fact. If we were truly first then Earth would have had inhabitants when it was first here. Life came later when an atmosphere was actually here, and water was finally on this planet. Life evolved from that as we also were not the first inhabitants of this planet. Your bible can be debunked at every turn. And when we did come from the Earth at first, we were most likely more ape like than human.

To make a long post more simple simply demonstrate evidence for your god. If science can prove one day that there is a god, then I will except that. I wont believe in it, but I will except that.

There’s also many things we just do not know, like the birth of the universe… but the bible can not explain that.

Let me know everyone if I fucked anything up, or made any direct claims with no evidence for those claims. I would of course have the burden of proof.

Thanks For Reading.