Why Are Theist So Sure Of Their God?

He doesn’t even have a “demon” talking to him (in his head) to point to! :point_left:t2:

OR maybe he does! :woman_shrugging:t2:

Either way, it’s in his head.

:poop: for :brain:

1 Like

Or demonstrate any of this mysterious evidence he seems determined to keep to himself.

1 Like

Either that or he has no evidence to present.

If science can find a god or deity I will except that. I am not closed minded as I have been accused of that for not believing in a god.

If the christian god did exist, why did it send itself to impart the most important message to mankind, yet make the bible a gibberish collection of multiple choices? And why would this god suddenly decide to become the absolute master of hide-and-seek?

For an assumed omnipotent and omniscient deity, it sure has poor communication skills.

4 Likes

Smells like presuppositional apologetics.

It is a very common mistake to reason that way. That is why the mistake has a name.

If I walked into work this morning, and repeated what I just quoted from you; I’d be fired and walked out of the building by security, in probably less than 1 hour. It is madness.

4 Likes

As I said, this is a demonstrably false claim. Science has amassed knowledge based on objective evidence, validated by the best most rigorous method of validation humans have, and not one single thing it explains includes or requires any extant deity.

Do you not believe invisible unicorns exist, or do you believe they don’t exist?

What objective evidence can you demonstrate for the non existence of invisible unicorns?

2 Likes

Can I just presuppose they have to exist otherwise we wouldn’t know anything???

I call myself an agnostic atheist. That means I do not believe in god(s) but do not claim to know. Just like you, I’m agnostic about thousands of topics. I know a bit about some things, but nothing about most things. This is true of every human being on the planet as far as I can tell. The age of the polymath is long gone.

I’m almost certainly wrong about many of the things I learned at university because I finished my degree in 1985. IE I’m badly out of date. But it’s highly unlikely I’m wrong about everything. Same goes for my entire world view; probably wrong about a lot of things, but not all.

When it comes to things metaphysical such as the existence of god(s) I can’t claim to know. Consequently, I concede that it’s possible that I’m mistaken, although I consider that possibility remote.

To answer your question: I consider the possibility that I’m wrong about **everything ** to be so remote that I’ve never really thought about it.

I think your question is disingenuous. That what you really want to know is if I think it’s possible that I’m wrong not to believe in god(s). Of course it’s possible, that’s why I call myself an agnostic atheist. I think I’m on pretty firm ground not believing in YHWH, the monster of the Torah. But, there’s a remote possibility that I’m wrong not to believe in him.

Now for the insincere ,dishonest bit: Your question implies that you concede it’s possible that you may be wrong in your beliefs about god. If this is true you will be the first Christian apologist I’ve ever run across who has the humility to concede that possibility. Instead I’m expecting more of the same old hubris, ignorance and intellectual dishonesty.

Of course, without the magic from the horns, we would still be pounding rocks and eating berries.

Apparently you can, who knew…

I don’t believe you.

3 Likes

Sheldon many of us understand that such a statement comes from an apologist who barely understands logic or what an atheist is.

3 Likes

Indeed, and like many before him then tags the word logic onto his claims like a soundbite, as if we will be fooled into thinking his irrational claims are the opposite.

2 Likes

Do you know how to argue honestly? Does your faith force you to lie? If you are going to actually debate, open your fucking ears and listen to what the other side is saying…

NO ONE HAS SAID YOUR GOD DOES NOT EXIST. The statement, “I am not convinced of a god.” means “You have not convinced me that what you are saying is true. You have not given me any evidence. You have not met your burden of proof. All you have done is make an inane assertion.”

Stop building straw men. Stop lying and trying to shift the burden of proof. Either provide facts and evidence to support your assertions or admit that you have none.

1 Like

Beat me too it and more eloquently.

The bloke not does not have a clue. He either does not bother to read the posts of others or does not understand them.

He does come across as dishonest. What a surprise in a christian apologist. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Unlike god I have some integrity. (Assuming you are referring to the Christian god.

Society at that moment in time. Do you think right and wrong comes from a god?
You do know at some stage it was considered right to own slaves?

Which god, and why is he necessary?

That is the difference between atheists and theists. (generalization)
As an atheist I ask you to show me any evidence that substantiate your claims.
As a theist you say that you don’t deal with evidence.

The first mistake is made by assuming there is such a thing as atheism. Atheism is not a religion. People who say that they are not convinced that there is a God are atheists. Saying that I am not convinced of a God is not the same as saying I am convinced there is no God.

I am not convinced that you are a Hispanic heterosexual paraplegic male contortionist(lack of supporting evidence) but I sure as shit can not say that you are not.

(No disrespect to any Hispanic heterosexual paraplegic male contortionist implied, or any person associating or identifying as a Hispanic heterosexual paraplegic male contortionist)

2 Likes

Besides the fact that it makes you look like an ass? Nothing at all.

And as soon as you make up those last few science papers, your can get your sixth grade graduation certificate and start middle school.

Why do need a god delusion to see the benefits of integrity in debate?

1 Like

No morality without Christianity. Wish I had $100 for very time I’ve heard/read that claim. The first time was in 1959, I was 12. .

At what point does ignorance become egregious?

1 Like