What's wrong with the bible?

@Italianish

Hey Dude,

Do you have any objective evidence of your god existing in reality?

I feel for you Italianish, you are presently in a toxic and confusing environment. From your post I get the powerful impression that you are not an atheist, you still cling tenaciously to a god. There is nothing wrong with that with the exception that you are confusing yourself. Take care of yourself, but first fix your environment.

Noā€¦ not that I can put my finger on.

Listen here. You donā€™t know what I am and have been going through. You donā€™t know the every day pain I suffer. This is not freedom. This is a nightmare for me. I dont want to believe in the Bible i dont want to be part of it. I want and need to figure out if its not the truth.
And by saying ultimate objective truth I was being sarcastic.

sometimes I actually donā€™t believe in God. Whether or not i am an atheist doesnā€™t matter. What matters is knowing whether or not the Bible is true.

@Italianish

Well, ok then. There is no objective evidence for any god. Which means there is no reason to believe in a godā€¦if you do so despite the lack of objective evidence, thats at the least, a failure in reasonā€¦at worst, delusional. There you goā€¦I truly hope you can now see that a god is not real without objective evidence. I would keep asking myself is there any objective evidence of himā€¦or any of the doctrineā€¦every time someone spouts off any religiosity.

1 Like

Well that is easy: the Bible is clearly false. I mean just for starters: somehow the Egyptians, Chinese, and Norte Chico societies manage to keep right on going during the Biblical flood (which the Bible says covered the tallest mountain, and killed everyone except 1 family).

1 Like

@Italianish

Well actually, it matters great deal. If one is an atheist, one simply dismisses the bible as mythology. A non existent being canā€™t write or reveal anything.

You seem stuck on the validity of the bible. I urge you to read; ā€œMisquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Whyā€ by Bart Ehrman.

Or perhaps have a look at the lecture linked below.

ā€œMisquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Whyā€

After a month or so of your ā€œYes but----ā€ responses, Iā€™m beginning to think that you remain a theist and desperately want to believe the bible is true. Iā€™d like to suggest that an atheist forum might not be the best place to come for the kind of support you seem to want.

You have persisted in asking for help, yet seem unwilling or unable to consider or act upon any suggestions made. Mate, itā€™s getting really old. .

1 Like

True in what sense? Multiple posters have shown you texts that we know are objectively false. So do you mean true in the generic sense it is a message from a deity?

1. The bible contains many claims and myths that are errant nonsense.
  2. The idea a deity with limitless knowledge and power would communicate in spurious and errant texts, or even ambiguous allegory that at face value gets basic facts woefully wrong, is an absurd claim, and of course is also an unfalsifiable claim.
  3. If there is no objective evidence for any deity, then the premise the bible is a message from it is axiomatically unevidenced hearsay.

The emotional trauma youā€™re experiencing is the loss of the life you thought you had. Let it go, and train your mind to think critically, and view claims with objective detachment. You must learn not to fear the unknown, or worse to replace it with archaic horror stories, or pernicious religious myths that falsely claim you will suffer and be punished for thinking rationally.

How you do this, the day to day detail of achieving it, is of course up to you, but until you move on you will be caught in the emotionally painful trauma of clinging to the lost life you thought religion had given you.

In a way the questions youā€™re asking already mean it is a practical impossibility for you to go back to your old belief, because once you start questioning, and looking for objective evidence for theism, it is inevitable you will simply realise more and more there isnā€™t any.

Deluding yourself now would be all but impossible, and why would you want to anyway? Let it go, and the pain and fear will start to go with it.

Think of it as a journey, with the most painful part already behind you.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Thereā€™s alot more internal struggle than you know about me. I want you all to know that I have spent money and time on t
Books and.resources within what I have received from some of you.

Iā€™ve purchased books and spent alot of time trying to understand everything that people have given me. Thereā€™s so much more inner chaos that I deal with other than the outer toxicity
I get it
Its a mess. I look like Iā€™m a theist that wants to be a theist.
No. I hate being a believer. I have alot of things going on in my head day to day. I dont want to tell everyone my life story. Just know itā€™s difficult.
I wouldnā€™t spend the time I did trying to figure things out as well as the resources i purchased.
I purchased 8 books since ive been here and watched countless videos
I also have ocd and add among other issues. Not to compare but I have alot going on its difficult

In my opinion you need read and study only one book to disbelieve in the Abrahamic deity, and that is the bible. Plagiarized from Judaism, and a precursor to Islam, an objective reading can lead to only one result, atheism.

Perhaps you need to focus less on how this makes you feel, and more on the facts of theistic claims, but only you can decide that.

This, italianish is a good point.

• I have said it took years to reprogram. BUT I made progress throughout the years
  • I have been in and out of toxic environments and cope with physical ailmentsā€¦AGAIN ā€œin and outā€ and learnt from the experiences
  • PLEASE share some PROGRESS you have made since writing on this site ā€¦what steps are you taking to change your environment

I have known folks (not saying you) that bitch about the same oleā€™same oleā€™ their whole fucking lives, which tells me they must have enjoyed ā€œsomethingā€ about it.

I spent over forty years searching for a god. I spoke to religious leaders from ever faith, I had long discussions with seminary students, I looked long and hard. But what really divorced me from religion was when I sat down and read the bible.

If you want to examine the bible for flaws, just read the entire book from one end to the other. leave nothing out, read every passage in the order they are presented.

2 Likes

? What do you imagine is false about the Bible? Itā€™s an extremely simplistic position.

Yes actually I have a few mental illnesses.
Thatā€™s why its difficult.

Hahahahaha :stuck_out_tongue:.
Better change your atheist identifier - or are you a bible believing atheist? ā€¦as opposed to a bible scholar of the historical recordā€¦

Using your bible - answer the question ā€¦ is god moral?

EDIT: what the fuck??? Italianish are you re-editing your posts??? WHY???

ItalianishAtheist

Here in lies your problem. People are not ā€œRefuting the Bibleā€ People are refuting the claims made by the bible. THE BIBLE IS THE CLAIM - NOT THE EVIDENCE. The evidence is all on the side of the refutation of the claim.

There is no good evidence for anything in in the Bible. The Bible is a bunch of stories strung together and canonized by a religion.

That Cog or heā€™s a ā€œnatural bornā€ apologist- oh wait - babies :baby:t3: canā€™t read ā€¦ he was taught these things and canā€™t somehow ā€œthinkā€ differently

Maybe itā€™s a mental illness of some sort (not being sarcastic) - because what you are describing is highly unlikely, IMO