What is the biggest lie?

Again . The proposition is “ what is the biggest lie “. I answered that saying “ life is meaningless “ is the biggest lie .
It is self evident on a personal level that one believes one’s own existence has meaning on some level whatever one may think about meaning in absolute terms . To say that “ life is meaningless “ is a self evident lie .
Depression and mental illness can cause a person to believe that life has no meaning but that is something we try to help people overcome rather than accept as normal .
Theist or not has nothing to do with the question of whether life has meaning , it is self evident it does .

Where did I say that God is the reason why life has meaning ?

Er-uhhhh… So, does that mean that the things you put into Cog are some type of meaningful reward? :flushed::flushed::flushed:… Ewwwwwwwww!.. :nauseated_face::dizzy_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like

Ok I will play. My life is meaningless. I was born in the conventional way, I will soon die…in between I had a ball of fun and, I hope, entertained many people. A meaningless life which will be forgotten within ten years.

My life is as meaningless as my death will be. Demonstrate the lie please.

4 Likes

@Sid Speaking of lies. Would you say that Christianity and religion are lies too?

The thing with lies is that they never have any evidence supporting them to be true. There’s almost always evidence working against lies that debunks them. There’s cases where it’s hard to discover the truth. But really…

Wouldn’t you agree?

Oh, while we are on the subject of lies, there is something everybody here needs to know about me. It’s a bit embarrassing, I admit, but it is only fair that I tell you. So, here it goes… (deeep breath)…

I ALWAYS lie. I NEVER tell the truth about anything. Hell, even what I am telling you all now is total bullshit, and I swear that is the absolute truth. So never trust a single word I say. It’s for your own good.

1 Like

The biggest lie I ever heard was, “I have a nine inch tongue and I can breathe through my ears.” Strangely enough it seemed to work anyway, probably out of sheer curiosity.

Only you know what your life means to you . The fact that you would mention fun and entertaining doesn’t sound to me like someone who finds that life has no meaning .
You have no idea how your interactions with other people throughout your life will affect somebody after you have died . A simple act of love or charity to person can have change the world in ways you cannot imagine . In the same way an act of malice and deceit can do the same thing .

Which is clearly a statement the claims is true, and since you’re a theist, I think we dispense with sophistry.

More sophistry, firstly it was you who made a claim, the burden of proof is yours. Secondly to disbelieve your claim, as it clearly is a claim, is not the same as holding or asserting a contrary claim, which was you did when you asserted life has no meaning is the biggest lie.

It has been explained that despite not believing life has any overarching meaning, the atheists here universally accept that humans subjectively try to create meaning from their lives. Those are two very different positions, as of course you cannot fail to know as a theist.

It seems you’re not ready for honesty debate, and prefer to continue with sophistry. People will tire of your semantics, so unless you’re only purpose is to troll the heathens, we get that from time to time, you might get to your point, if you have one.

What objective evidence can you demonstrate for any deity?

What objective evidence can you demonstrate that life has any overarching meaning? (Not the subjective meaning individuals attach to their own life)?

You’ve been given a lot of latitude, it’s time to piss, or get off the pot…

Are you saying you don’t believe life has anymore meaning that what an individual subjectively attaches to their own life, and those they care about?

What objective evidence can you demonstrate for any deity, or that life has any overarching meaning attached to it derived from theistic belief?

It’s in your profile, the posters here can read the word theist, which you’ve claimed to be.

Are you saying you don’t believe the deity you believe in, gives human life any meaning at all, beyond what what we as individuals attach to our lives? Are you losing your belief in a theistic deity?

or whether it is meaningless, your argument thus, is rendered false.

It may be to you , however , you are not the sum total of humanity .
If the statement was “ life is meaningless to some people “ then you are proof that statement is true .
The statement “ life is meaningless “ is self evidently false because most people throughout history believe that their lives do have meaning .

Can you answer the part in @Sheldon’s question on whether you can demonstrate evidence of the existence of a deity?

1 Like

Maybe not the biggest, but something I think about a lot living in America is the wealth disparity. We are pushed to believe it a consequence of greedy capitalists, while history shows a different story.

“The ‘Evils of Capitalism’ are merely a symptom of the disease of inherent self interest. Our biggest flaw is that which animals also possess, yet worse still, as animals do not have the ability to reason. The ease at which we are tempted by greed, lust, pride, power, and public approval manifests Itself to the world as an endless spiderweb of deceit, betrayal, murder, poverty, and public execution. With a single glance it may appear that the tumor is the problem, especially to the hypocrite. But with careful reveal of the truth it is quickly shown to be the cancer that is the root of the evil. “

You have polled “most people throughout history”, and you know what they believe? I have to say I’m dubious, either way that is a bare appeal to numbers, as argumentum ad populum fallacy, ipso facto your argument is irrational.

You are also using sophistry to pretend the phrase life has no overarching meaning, as is claimed in theistic beliefs for example, to mean life is entirely without meaning, but despite your sophistry they are very different claims. If all you are claiming is that people try to attach some meaning to their lives, and this is an entirely subjective and secular act, then I agree. Is that all you’re claiming when you asserted life has no meaning is a lie? Your continued reticence on this, despite being asked for clarification, smacks of dishonesty.

Which deity do you believe is real? What objective evidence can you demonstrate that deity is real? You seem to be very reticent on this questions as well, again this does not strike me as someone looking for candid debate.

1 Like

Evil is a subjective term of course, and capitalism is merely an economic system. Nothing wrong with striving to make it fairer of course, but if you have a better economic system I’m curious what that would be?

Sorry but I don’t see your point? Humans are capable of unbridled self interest, well yes so what?

Do you mean all people including those who lived in pre-historic times or only those who have lived in times with historical records? If the former: how can you know, and at which time in the evolution of ape-like creatures to humans did they go from a state of not having a notion of “meaning” to their lives to a state of believing that their lives have meaning? If the latter: when, how, and where did the big shift happen, why did it happen, and how do you know?

The point here is people have a bad habit of blaming the economic and political systems for the struggles in their country. This feels especially true in America. This quote addresses the idea that a system cannot be to blame, but only the people inside the system. And because we live with unbridled self interest, we individually are to blame for suffering.

If you could tell me what a deity looks like then that would be helpful