Vegetarianism and Pastifarianism

Very well could be, I’m 64 now, and the oldest living member of my family. Growing up, my 3 sisters and I were raised in the tradition of having family dinner together every night, no exceptions.
The 4 of us had to have milk every night with dinner, and if you finished it before you were done eating, you could either have more milk, or water, period.
Both of our parents grew up on a farm and were exposed to eating their own livestock. We had meat and potatoes most of the time. We ate pasta and rice on a regular basis also.

Because we were catholic, meat wasn’t on the menu on Friday nights. We had elbow macaroni mixed with Campbells tomato soup, and fish sticks, which always seemed to be burned. We dreaded dinner time every Friday.

Sunday dinner was either roast beef or baked chicken, with mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade biscuits, and raw veggies(carrots, celery, radishes, dill pickles) and jello for dessert. I loved it then, and I still do.
Next Sunday for Fathers day, I’ve asked my wife for a dinner of roast pork loin, mashed potatoes with homemade gravy and biscuits. I can’t wait.

1 Like

Of course it is, but false dichotomies are allowed in jokes, otherwise they fall flat on their faces. :laughing:

I tried this.

Kids named the food when they were younger.

:grimacing:

BUT if push-came-to shove

2 Likes

We were explicit in our rule of no names. I was aware of the potential problem well in advance.

1 Like

Yah - so was I… they did it anyway :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

The trick is to replace the deceased “Peg” (Peg is a chicken); with a new chicken named also named Peg.

1 Like

Name them Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

5 Likes

My kids were smarter than that way earlier. That’s why I had to tell them why they can’t name the animals that don’t sleep on a door step.

Well I didn’t mean a [secret] switch. I mean switching out an adult (dead) chicken named Peg for a small one named perhaps Peg 2. Just keep adding numbers when they die, heh.

2 Likes

If you have any turkeys, name one of them Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

A company in the U.S. just got approval to start production of lab-grown (cell cultivated) chicken.

Ahhhh…Kentucky Fried Soylent Leghorn…
It makes one’s mouth water doesn’t it?

2 Likes

Something about that just doesn’t sound right.

To be fair I see it pretty much the same as enormously big fields of monoculture. If they can eventually make it cheap enough it can be a source of proteins for those in need.

However!

Eating meat is not all about muscles. I can’t say I’m being a very good example of it, but head to tail principle in carnivores is basically essential for proper nutrition.
What I’m trying to say is that we need different tissues, not just muscles.

I’ll stick to our small farm and domestically bred and fed animals as long as I can.

2 Likes

I’m actually pleased that lab-grown meat is moving forward. It will be so much better for the environment. Current methods for providing the quantity of meat that is eaten is so damaging to the only planet we populate.

3 Likes

Indeed it is. A short visit to some of the massive feed lots in the western U.S. makes a lasting impression of this.

1 Like

There’s one of those on the route I take a few times a year. A disgusting, smelly mess. I feel sorry for the cows. It’s also a breeding ground for antibiotic-resistant bacteria as they feed the animals massive amounts of antibiotics to enhance growth and to prevent disease in the overcrowded conditions.

3 Likes

If only we used the land used for growing crops, used for feeding livestock, to grow crops for human consumption instead.

If only…

It’s humanities biggest ethical blind spot, trumps religion by a longshot.

1 Like

Interstellar travel is the only thing that will save man kind and I believe that when we master gravity, we will be capable of bending space-time so that we can traverse unimaginable distances in a matter of minutes. The key is not to warp space, but rather time. Below are personal drawings of the machine which will allow us to warp time. Feel free, anyone, to build it. I don’t have the spare time, at the moment (I can’t get my hands on Plutonium either for that matter). I’m currently caught up in another project.

2 Likes

Not trying to criticize, Ratty, but I’m not seeing the flux capacitor in your schematics. And what about the dilithium crystals? Not sure how we can warp space-time without either of those.

3 Likes