Vegetarianism and Pastifarianism

Pastafarian Prayer.
Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy sauce be yum, on top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day, our garlic bread, …and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trample on our lawns. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us some pizza, for thine is the meatball, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. R’amen.

Why does The church of the flying spaghetti monster specifically outline a position against vegetarianism?

I have been a vegetarian for just under a decade, I’ve never been one to tell others to be vegetarian, (bar the first week, I quickly learned.)

If I am asked, I give my reasoning behind why I choose to not eat meat, and if pressed further, I’ll happily debate, but only if I am not the instigator of the debate.

I do believe my position to be ethically (and potentially morally) superior, in many cases, but not all. (Not everyone can be vegetarian for health reasons.)

I am just curious, as I love the concept of Pastafarianism, but the anti-vegetarian stance has always given me pause.

Why do the church of the FSM take such a stance, does anyone know?

1 Like

It likely has to do with the Pastafarian Reform revolution of the 1580’s. The “Vegemites” of Burgundy, France threatened to overthrow the entire church of Pasta with their “Gospel of Vegetarian Lasagna”. So powerful was their tasty Julienned Carrot and Squash Lasagna doctrine that the Meatball Pastafists could see their own demise right in front of them!

Contrary to their own Pastafist doctrine, they expunged the Vegemite insurgence from all historical records and laid their recipes to waste. It is still possible, though, in some parts of the world to find the secret recipe of vegetarian Lasagna. Still, to this day, the Church of the Pastafarians remains strictly omnivore. That, at least, is my understanding of the situation.

4 Likes

Are they the same group that later split in two?

A smaller minority decided they could no longer eat cheese, and became Vegan, spinning off into isolation, sitting in parks or by rivers on blankets, smoking weed and playing Mandalorians.

1 Like

Yes! This was over the great chicken abortion act of 1589 which ratified hens as holy vessels of the sacred spaghettini.

The Vegan faction would later go on to adopt the holy avocado as their primary object of worship.
:avocado:

1 Like

Such rich history and culture, yet so little is known by so many.

If only there was some sort of collection of stories, put into an omnibus, maybe with a few exaggerations for theatrical effect.

Well I mean the deity is made out of meatballs…

Ah, but surely we can’t eat a deity?

Are you a vegetarian because you love animals, or because you hate plants?

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s all a matter of context and personal interpretation. After all, nobody really knows the original language of the first written Words of Holy Pasta. So how many different languages and cultures have they been translated across over the centuries? It simply stands to reason there were a few errors here and there. Why else would there be the different Pastifarian sects? It is quite well known that the Carnivorians, Omnivorians, and the Herbivorians have never been able to agree on the correct interpretations. And I shudder to think of how many pointless Chef Wars have been waged over such disagreements. :disappointed:

Basically, what it all boils down to is that you must believe in and worship the FSM (Pasta Be Unto Him) in whatever way that helps you be a good person and allows you to be happy with your life.

(Edit for an order of cheesy bread.)

1 Like

Couldn’t that be considered a false dichotomy?

I choose not to eat meat, as I have access to alternatives and I value the life of non-human animals.

If I end up in a position not of my own making, where meat is the only source of protein, I will eat meat.

The reason I started my vegetarianism, I worked in a chicken factory for four ten hour shifts in two days. (I needed money fast, as I my ex-girlfriends older sister, stole my rent for herself, then disappeared.)

It wasn’t just the actions I saw in that place, It was the sheer amount of death, large wheeled tubs, every minute being rolled past, filled to the brim with stripped chicken corpses.

This was just one factory, not even closed to being the biggest.

I personally see the meat industry as humanities largest ethical blind spot.

I have tried veganism, but I do still need eggs in my diet, and I have yet to find a valid alternative.

I am almost inspired to create a new Pastafarian sect, without all the cheese and meat.

Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy sauce be yum, on top ground chilli spices. Give us this day, our garlic bread, …and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trample on our lawns. Lead us directly into vegetarianism, but deliver us some Pringles, for thine is the veggieball, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. R’amen.

Now that, I can get behind.

1 Like

I couldn’t be a vegetarian even if I wanted too, which I don’t. I eat meat with every meal, mostly chicken or turkey. We don’t eat as much beef and we used to though. I am a member of PETA though, the other one.
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

To each their own.

Wouldn’t that be

Animals
eating
tasty
non-human animals

I mean, we are monkeys.

SHIT, I mean, I am definitely a cat!

I am curious though, is there any type of non-human animal, that you wouldn’t eat?

As long as it’s cooked and seasoned properly, I’d eat it.

Even dogs and cats? :eyes:

That depends on the situation. I wouldn’t do it by choice, but if in a situation where starvation was rampant, say if the world had collapsed and food was scarce, I would.
I wouldn’t like it, but yes.

1 Like

You sound like my parents’ generation, who insisted that it wasn’t dinner unless the meal had potatoes. Meaning, pasta dishes were out, rice based dishes were out, etc. As for me, over the years, I have learned that “it’s not dinner if it’s not meat” is b.s. And quite frankly, I would get piss bored with the taste if I had meat for every meal. My big eye opener regarding non-animal protein was at a restaurant where the vegetarian option sounded more tempting than the meat option, and I ordered it without even registering that it was the vegetarian option. For me, variation has become the key, and the key to variation is that the food tastes great no matter what you eat. And no matter what you eat, if it doesn’t taste good, you avoid it. If it tastes great, you’ll eat it almost no matter what the ingredients are. I’m lucky enough to have a wife that is an excellent cook with a talent for transforming almost any ingredient into a tasty meal. The more types of cuisines you can enjoy, the greater the variety you will accept, and the easier it is to not get stuck in a habit of rejecting other things than your default.

3 Likes

The same principle you apply to cats and dogs, I apply to apply to all non-human animals.

If I have an alternative, I will go for that.

Most of the meat that my family eats is raised by ourselves. My in-laws are living on a small farm, just outside of Belgrade. We always have 10-15 goats, 2-3 pigs from spring to autumn and some chickens, once or twice a year.
Since my in-laws are old, I and a hired butcher do all the killing. He is doing the killing with a rod-gun or pig-gun while I hold them. Well, except for chickens we kill them all by ourselves.
It may sound strange, but I’m in reality sincerely grateful to that animal at that point, and I do something like that scene from Avatar. I say in myself thank you for feeding my family.

4 Likes