Unable to debunk this (geological claim)

its called sarcasm mate.

Cranks - normally the “atheist” would show under the name - BUT it’s not. You’ll need to click on the name to see whether atheist or theist.

Previously only “theists” were blank under their names.

Lol - for an atheist yes…sarcasm.

For a theist - serious worldview :smirk:

I did actually select atheist, strange that it’s not showing.

Yah - I saw via your writing that you’re most likely not a believer.

Cranks is older - like really super ancient. He’ll catch on - Boomer to you.

Put a little smiley face or wink after the phrase and it is less likely to be misunderstood. Boomer is pretty sharp, my guess it was late or early and he was just scanning. I’ve done the same.

I’m pretty sure @Monke is an atheist, and his claim was intended to be irony.

It’s written under your name now anyway.

Whilst it is true that the land we see, including mountains are a top layer and are moving as continental drift over lower layers, I think you have misread the Quran when you refer to it as meaning the same thing. In fact, 27.88 is part of a prediction, not a description of the world. I have copied below the line before and after to highlight the context.

27:87 And (remind them of) the Day when the Trumpet will be blown, and all who are in the heavens and the earth will start in fear, save him whom Allah willeth. And all come unto Him, humbled.
27:88 And thou seest the hills thou deemest solid flying with the flight of clouds: the doing of Allah Who perfecteth all things. Lo! He is Informed of what ye do.
27:89 Whoso bringeth a good deed will have better than its worth; and such are safe from fear that Day.

You can see that the Quran is not referring to continental drift, it is making a mythological prediction of what to expect on judgement day in order to emphasise the might of Allah.

2 Likes

Pretty nifty stuff, I’m enjoying your posts.

I don’t want to meander too far off the point.But reading this thread I’ve been wondering why no one has mentioned the Golden Age of Islam, and what we owe Muslim thinkers of that era. That is distinct from the Quran, which I see as the mythology of Islam

1 Like

@PaulDavisCooke

Thank you, very edifying.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment.

As for the golden age of Islam, whilst there was indeed a period where Muslim thinkers advanced human knowledge in many spheres, for me the most important thing we can take from it is the negative influence of religion.

As Islamic scholars were discovering and inventing new ways to understand the world and improve lives, Europe was mired in the early and mid medieval periods. The Catholic church held real power and the predominant philosophy, if it may be called that, was to stifle, even forbid scientific endeavour, because all that mankind needed could be found in the Bible and anything which contradicted the holy book was either false or the work of the devil. It even took Islamic scholars to translate the ancient philosophers and retain their knowledge, rather than burn the books as heretical.

Then we scroll forward to today. Since the Enlightenment, the west has been on a path towards secularism and the hold of the Christian church over men’s minds has weakened. Slowly at first but with gathering momentum, we have seen science and technology truly change men’s lives for the better. And what is happening in the Islamic world, so infected with a new fundamentalism? Stagnation, poverty (despite the wealth generated by oil), injustice & tyranny. And of course terrible violence, mainly directed at other Muslims.

The Enlightenment began after 1,715 years of Christendom. If the Islamic world has to wait another 1,100 years for it’s own enlightenment, there is a chance none of us will make it. We must hope that they learn from the European example.

And now I realise that I too have wandered off the path of your question. I do like the sound of my own voice :grin:
The golden age of Islam was indeed a special time. It began with trying to better understand Allah’s work but without restrictions it flowered into progress in many areas. It was also a time of inclusion, with Jewish thinkers contributing to the whole, particularly in Al Andalus. How very different to today.

3 Likes

I’m not sure i know this now? This is another of those preposterous claims that seem to have a tenuous link to scientific facts, like tectonic plate shift. However anyone claiming that would need to evidence it beyond any reasonable doubt before I’d worry about examining it’s provenance, and even then I wouldn’t need to disprove the claim it was divinely inspired, as that is irrational.

I know that’s an old post sorry, I hadn’t offered an answer though and was minded to respond, as this use of argumentum ad ignorantiam by Muslim apologists is quite a common tactic.