The war on science continues

One million agrees Cranks!!! I absolutely love this place because of it! Also I don’t have to hold arguments in my head.

Heh, I read that book way back in 1978. Unfortunately, the author did not foresee the current environment, in which people who have plainly failed potty training are installed in positions of power and authority, without any evidence of past competence in any field to warrant the requisite promotions.

1 Like

I came across it around 1971 doing a business course. Fair dinkum, I was as keen as mustard in those days.

I worked in the Australian federal public service from 1966 to 1999. When I joined promotion was from alphabetic seniority. I kid you not. We were also arse deep in war neurotics until the early 1970’s, when they began to be invalided out.

Promotion by seniority was abolished well before I had enough seniority to benefit from it.

Each time I was promoted there was always blood on the floor,not mine though.

Promotion by seniority was a guiding principle in Japanese business for decades, not sure if it is still the case.

Not quite the same thing but certainly the results can appear similar.

In principle no, because promotion was effectively automatic.

However,as time went by, it became common to come across individuals with unfounded beliefs in their superior ability.

THE hallmark of the public service,as with politics, is mediocrity. It has always been arse deep in people suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Same here for the most part. I am pretty sure my wife is way smarter than I am, but beyond that, intelligent conversation, especially in the subjects that come up here, it is all to rare.

2 Likes

Fellow Unbelievers,

Masks have brought out the crazy in everybody, both pro- and con-.

In the store where I work, I was witness to a rotund Tammy Faye Bakker clone without her trowel-and-mortar make-up and a T.D. Jakes/Leroy Brown clone all preaching to everyone: “Your mask don’t work! And yours don’t! And yours don’t either! The only thing that works is the healing pow’r uv Jay-zus!” :latin_cross::innocent:

I was holding my tongue and sanitizing my register and belt as best as I could until Rev. Jakes/Brown came up to me and said: “That don’t work either!”

I then said: "This, Sir, is what has extended man’s life expectancy from less than 30 to 78 and more in 100 years time!":microscope::test_tube:

He said: “That still don’t work!”

I replied: "Look, show me your medical sheep-skin or I don’t want to hear it!"⚕

He then shuffled off, still muttering: “That don’t work!..That don’t work!..”

Others deny the power of masks, yet still insist on clearing the shelves of isopropyl alcohol, huydrogen peroxide, and hand sanitizer.:roll_eyes:

On the flip side, you get an old duffer complaining that the store is not forcing people to mask and social diatance…while standing 4 feet or less from the Manager to whom he is complaining!
:crazy_face:
Then one guy comes in with a mask…made of rubber, with eye goggles and certified for Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC) Warfare…with filters on each side that cost $200 each!:diving_mask:

Finally, there are those who come in with masks that say: “Faith Not Fear” and “God Is Good!” I’ll just reply “The irony is not lost” and they never get it.:grin:

It’s like Carl Sagan put it: A Demon-Haunted World.

2 Likes

Fellow Unbelievers
Oh, and the funniest anti-maskers are the Junior Junkyard Dog Legal Eagles who say that masks are a form of tyranny…yet the threaten to sic the Alphabet Soup government agencies against stores politely requesting masks, and they’ll cite The Americans With Disabilities Act! :rofl:

Don’t you know, too, that if somebody did that to them, they’d claim they are “Sovereign Citizens” or “Moorish Science Church” members who are so above the jurisdiction of those Alphabet Soup agancies! :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil: