The "morality police"

Since you did not quote my “rhetoric” to which you refer, I have no idea what you are on about. If you had any notion whatsoever as to how off the mark you are you would shrink in embarrassment.

1 Like

All I meant is that characterizing Muslims as violent and irrational is the first, middle and last resort of a right-wing bigot. And they only pay lip-service to the concept of women’s empowerment, merely as a way to claim moral high ground to which they otherwise wouldn’t be entitled.

As far as having to “recognize injustices wherever they exist,” we also have to understand their context. I’ve seen the atheist blogosphere explode over things like halal meat butchery in Europe, seemingly oblivious to the way these things originate in Europe’s racist right-wing. I fully understand that subjecting women to violence over headscarves is more objectionable than deriding feminists. But if we’re truly dedicated to women’s empowerment, we’d define that as a difference in degree.

I don’t hate all Muslims. I do, however, hate Islam. I think you might find that is the case for many folks who identify as atheist.

Enlightened West? West of what?

1 Like

Wow! Murdering someone over a head covering is just a difference in degree from making a reference to Meryl Streep? Ok, I think I understand you now.

Edit: same difference

West of the Rockies? West of the Mississippi? West of the Wild-Wild West? West of Eden? (No, wait. That’s East of Eden.) Mae West? Go West, young man? The Middle West? (Crap. That’s Middle EAST.) Uh, okay, I give up.

2 Likes

Do you still think it’s impressive sleight-of-hand to just use the word Islam when you mean Muslims? Am I really supposed to believe you’ve conducted some kind of sober, scholarly examination of the textual and historical phenomenon of Islam, and now you hate it?

Let’s be reasonable.

1 Like

Wow! Concocting a Bizarro-world parody of my original point makes it easy to demolish!

I fail to see why I deserve that. All I was saying was that we should be careful to make women’s empowerment more of a motivator than bigotry, and that we should be careful that fixating on injustice in other nations doesn’t distract us from the way our own society oppresses women.

What app are you using to read people’s minds?

3 Likes

Oh fuck! I have really been trying to avoid this post… The guy is a troll. It was obvious from the first post. Pretentious snowflake of a troll.

1 Like

[quote=“Istvan, post:27, topic:3233”]
we should be careful to make women’s empowerment more of a motivator than bigotry
[/quote

I respectfully requested that you quote me to indicate my “rhetoric” or indicate where I characterized Muslims as violent and irrational. Now you are once again straw manning me with insinuation of bigotry.

Well, read your own words then:

So let me see if I understand you…rhetoric, exaggeration, hyperbole, generalizations, and the like are instruments to be used by you to make whatever point you see fit, but calling you out for it is “parody” or otherwise unacceptable to you? Ok then.

Edit: sophistry

3 Likes

No, I do not, in fact, mean Muslims. I hate Islam. I think it’s entirely reasonable to do so.
Do you propose that a sober, scholarly examination is required to have that feeling?

2 Likes

I concur. The sheer dishonesty of his rhetoric is too obvious to ignore.

The real irony is his implication that he alone has performed such a scholarly examination, and not just of Islam, and also of atheists, and found them wanting. pretending to be an atheist was a stroke of genius, I mean we’ve never seen a theist attempt that canard before.

I have a headache now from rolling my eyes, that’ll teach me.

What utter asinine nonsense.

1 Like

Not one person has vented any such thing, repeating your lie won’t make it any less duplicitous.

The most blatantly stupid example of whataboutism I’ve ever seen.

You like to say we a lot don’t you, it fair makes my stomach turn when you do it though.

Or we could learn to reason beyond the most facile observations, like the ludicrous false dichotomies and whataboutism you are trying to peddle old school wisdom here.

That wouldn’t be naivety, it would be rank duplicity.

Right on brother, the proletariat need to rise up a=with our brothers and sisters in Iran, you should go there, tell them about your ideas, like you’re free to do here, see if the worst you get is some sarcastic comments.

It’s almost as if you believe that gibberish means something cogent, but your straw men are nothing to do with anyone here, and subjugating women for any reason is still wrong, whoever does it.

Well, then by all means, bring your “experience” from there to HERE…while lecturing US :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I agree that his implication was that he has performed scholarly examinations and I have not. He actually hasn’t a clue what my background as a scholar is. So, I can conclude from that, that he is assumptive by nature, rather than of purpose-full thought.
Although I’m not sure I concur that he is pretending to be atheist. After all, theists don’t corner the market on silliness. This leads me to have doubts (albeit minor ones) that he lives under a bridge.

3 Likes

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … There was a reason I gave this one a miss. He really does not see it. He actually believes he is sitting on the moral high-ground and no one should have a problem with his overly gross generalizations. Talking with snowflakes is about the same as talking with Christians. You will get your best results by ridding yourself of reason or logic and relying instead on the comments found in the Hallmark section of the local stationery store.

3 Likes

Well Cog…all I can say is…The seeds of love and kindness only grow when given away…

Edit: lick my stamp

1 Like

And yet you have the balls to tell a Christian that their personal revelation (experience) of God is not evidence. You could actually see every Islamic girl in the world and say they were all ugly, and that would carry no weight at all. Your personal revelation means squat! Hmmm… do you not see the hypocrite looking back at you in the mirror.

2 Likes

Saying that does not make your horseshit any less offensive. Your opinion of the relative “prettiness” of “a lot of middle eastern women”
is of no interest whatsoever to anyone here. Take your horseshit and put it back in your rude mouth from where it came…
What is the purpose of you posting here?
Are you interested in discussion/ debate over some religious philosophy or are you just spewing bile to see who you can rile up?
You list yourself as an agnostic …why?

Edit: turd in the punch bowl…

3 Likes