The Existence of Aliens

Yeah me to, for years I watched and learned, but also watched and kept my opinions to myself…c’est la vie…keep an open mind, but don’t accept claims that are not supported by sufficient objective evidence. I was lucky to find a Sensei that had no ego at all, he made me laugh, and made me focus, he was generous, and cared only about sharing what he had learned, he was first and foremost a gentleman, in every sense of the word…there was a huge sign above the front door of the dojo that read:

Manners maketh the man, and never forget it.

He was knighted for his unswerving contributions to the local community, and sent many students to the Olympics to compete in Judo.

He also had a wicked sense of humour, and not a shred of malice or prejudice in him, I miss him greatly.

Yeah, for real self defence in a dangerous situation, woo-woo and pretend techniques are no good. As for me, I would prefer aiming for the groin by means of kicking, punching, slapping or pinching, Krav Maga style.

1 Like

Another thing about these claims or videos is that some of them should’ve been disproven already if they were false. Here’s an example: A singer Jason Upton and his band claimed that while they were warming up for a concert in Alexandria, Louisiana, an angel was singing with Jason when he was warming up. They also claimed that a boy said he saw an angel behind Jason. They also shared a supposed audio recording of it happening. This claim could obviously be false, but the thing about it is that people who were actually there in the auditorium when they were warming up, such as audio workers, janitors, people watching or even other band members should’ve easily said that nothing happened. If they never did a concert in Alexandria, then someone should’ve been able to point that out.

People frequently go along to get along.

2 Likes

Sounds like leprechauns again to me. WTF do you have against leprechauns; but don’t have against other forms of magic like ghosts and angels? IT"S ALL BULLSHIT; IT IS A CON; YOU ARE THE MARK.

2 Likes

Btw I saw your original post, I’m wondering how to stop thinking about it? I’m struggling with doing that

I don’t really know. Maybe start with why you are scared of angels (ghosts, etc) and not leprechauns.

I’m going to take a guess that people in the community you’ve been growing up in didn’t/don’t profess belief in leprechauns; and that this is why you are not afraid of them (or believe they might be real).

From the outside: angels, ghosts, and leprechauns all look really silly.

2 Likes

Divert yourself. Change your focus. Start doing something else, study a new language, read some science fiction books, volunteer at an animal shelter or food bank, learn carpentry…

1 Like

Do you know what falsifiable is? I saw a leprechaun in my garden this morning, and it was sitting on a tree stump eating a peanut butter sandwich. Now. Prove that I am wrong. It winked at me and a gold coin appeared in my hand. I looked at the coin, rolled it over in my fingers, and when I looked up the leprechaun was gone. Then I looked back down and the coin was gone. Now DISPROVE anything I have said.

Really? How many times do I need to explain that this is a known logical fallacy called an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy? Your claim is irrational by definition and I explained this right from the first and many times since, so can you explain why you’re still using it?

Sigh, another unevidenced anecdotal claim really?

How is audio going to support this unevidenced claim?

Now you’re combining an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy with a bare appeal to numbers, an argumentum ad populum fallacy. Can you demonstrate any objective evidence for the claim, because you’ve offered nothing so far.

False dichotomy fallacy, the choices are not either they did the concert and the supernatural claim is true or they did not do the concert at all. Every other claim can be true, but how does that support the supernatural claim for which no objective evidence has been demonstrated.

I though we were passed you rehashing this kind of unevidenced superstition as if the unsupported anecdotal claims represented compelling evidence?

Don’t stop thinking about it, think harder and more rationally about it. You have been given everything you need to do that right here, and again in this post.

HERE

Is again a master list of logical fallacies, go the site and learn them all, learn what they mean, learn how to spot them, and learn to reject claims and arguments based on them. If you do nothing else this will move you away from superstitious and irrational fears, and arm you to spot them easily.

Start thinking as rationally as you are able to, millennia of human ingenuity has developed logic specifically to make it easier to weed out poor weak and irrational reasoning, the question is do you want to, or do you want to continue to indulge in superstition?

From what I read on the link you provided, that fallacy applies if someone believes that something is true because more people believe it, like if 80% of people believed in aliens, then aliens must be real. It doesn’t apply to what I said. This seems to be the same with the argumentum ad ignorantiam, I’m not assuming that it’s true because it hasn’t been proven false. I’m assuming it’s true because if it was false it should’ve been proven false already. It’s not the same thing as me assuming a wild ghost story my friend told me is true because I can’t prove that he was lying.

OR (and hear me out here) perhaps the incident claim is such ridiculously obvious bullshit that no respectable “investigator” needs to waste his/her time and resources in dubunking it. You still don’t get it, do you?

• Whether you want to accept it or not, there are people who will resort to just about any means to gain attention, popularity, money, or any combination thereof. And there are many who make a ton of money off the gullible folks (like you) who believe their cons.

• You STILL don’t understand how easy it is to stage/fake images of “ghosts” and “spirits” and such.

• Do you believe magicians have supernatural powers? Because I know I certainly cannot explain many of the magic acts I’ve seen.

Aaaaaand I feel like I’m wasting my breath here… (heavy sigh)… Tell ya what, young man, you just go ahead and feel free to believe anything and everything you hear and see. Folks like you are a conman’s dream.

3 Likes

It is a bare appeal to numbers, the amount is irrelevant.

That is a bare appeal to numbers.

Hmm…

So you are claiming it is true because it hasn’t been disproved, which is a textbook argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.

Both claims are using the same argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.

What would you accept as proof that it is false (I mean like in some fantasy world, it was proven false by ______?). If you don’t already know the answer to this question; then you have unconsciously manufactured a scheme where you can systematically reject what you don’t want to believe and let pass what you do want to believe.

Or rephrased (sarcastically): why do you hate leprechauns?

2 Likes

How do you know? Dawkins speculates that life on earth might indicate an intelligent origin and could have been brought here by an advanced civilization in the past.

Its amazing how most card carrying atheists will balk at the idea of seeking evidence for intelligent design yet glibly applaud efforts to do just that in the guise of SETI and wax lyrical over belief in extra terrestrial spaceships and civilizations.

AH HAH!! I knew there were cards!
You fuckers said “cards? What cards?”
Bastards! I will be expecting mine in the mail…
Edit (at least I know the secret handshake)

4 Likes

We know life is possible, we don’t know unevidenced deities using magic is. also that’s seems a bit of a facile misrepresentation of what was said, here is a LINK.

3 Likes

The assertion was …

And the utter, complete, BULLSHIT, you responded with was …

And some dumbfuck stupid (unfounded and unevidenced) assertion about most atheists* Are you really that fucking stupid? Is there any reason at all, a manipulating liar spouting complete bullshit, should be treated with any kind of respect at all? You are a dishonest interlocutor, and I personally believe it is intentional. You can not be so ignorant as to ignore all the facts before you. You are dishonest.

Your replay, in no way, addresses, or comes anywhere close to addressing the assertion I made.

5 Likes

But do you have the apron and gauntlets?

3 Likes

Shhhh! You weren’t supposed to tell him about those yet. He is only a level 3 initiate. He hasn’t been to an eggnog party yet. He never took a ride on your trike, naked by the full moon’s light. He can’t sing Hayabmuk.

2 Likes