The Existence of Aliens

Pepper ghost technique :arrow_down:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, did you even bother to read my post about the phone call from my wife’s deceased father?

1 Like

Yes I read it minutes after you posted it

For a start it would need to be evidence that is not solely based on subjective and irrational anecdotes. It would need to be measurable testable and falsifiable.

Then ask yourself what inference one might draw from this fact.

If the concept presented is unfalsifiable, then by definition it would be impossible to objectively evidence whether that concept exists or not.

Evidence that is testable measurable and falsifiable would be a good start, but then moving away from irrational unevidenced anecdotes would also be a good start.

This has now been answered innumerable times, a photo can be faked, you’ve not established they are objectively possible, you have presented no objective evidence that what has been photographed is a ghost, you haven’t even accurately defined a ghost, or how their existence might be tested, or that the concept is falsifiable. All you have offered is another argumentum ad populum fallacy, based on an unevidenced anecdote.

So what are you asserting this shadow was, and what objective evidence can you demonstrate to support this claim? Only what you have presented is just another anecdotal appeal to mystery.

Excellent. So, do you believe my dead father-in-law actually tried to call me and my wife?

No, I believe it’s a puzzling mystery, but that it can be explained by technical glitches.

2 Likes

Good. See how that works? So, with that being said, perhaps you should start applying that same reasoning and critical thinking to all those videos you’ve been watching. ESPECIALLY when the people involved in them are likely looking for attention and/or profit.

(Edit for monetary gain and notoriety.)

3 Likes

Could you share this explanation, or did you mean to say it might be explained? Which of course is the same as might not be explained, ipso facto there is no explanation. Thus no one can offer any claim, assertion, or belief.

Did you have any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

@Rohan01 - This is the key to everything. For those with a rational and skeptical mindset, those who rely on facts and reality, it is only logical to believe in something after being presented with demonstrative evidence, and not before. Before we are given the evidence needed to demonstrate the existence of anything paranormal or supernatural the default position is “I don’t know.”

Now, in your case, as you are the one making the assertion that all this ghost stuff is real. You need to provide evidence that is sufficient to debunk the evidence of 2000 years of lying charlatan bullshit artists, con men, frauds, swindlers, bunco artists, illusionists, conjurers, witch doctors, holy men, faith healers, shamanists, story tellers, mystics, spiritualists, voodoo doctors, conjurers, magus, seers, necromancers, soothsayers, wizards, exorcisors, popes priests, and prophets. All of whom have been caught in their lies. None of whom, have ever, demonstrated an ouce of substantial evidence for their claims.

The time to believe a claim is after it has been demonstrated to be true and not before. Your biggest issue is you do not know or understand what counts as evidence. Extraordinary assertions demand equally extraordinary proof. The evidence that will hold up against all the lies of all the bullshit from all our history, will indeed be remarkable. You are not going to find it on YouTube.

3 Likes

I agree with pretty much all of what you said

OK: here is an exam. One question: is it possible that many people could be faking a magical effect, or does so many people’s involvement mean the magic was real?

Bonus question: does that fact that a large number of people are involved indicate something must be true?

1 Like

Follow-up…

Now, what if I had made a video and put it on YouTube with a bunch of dramatic talking and witnesses, along with maybe a couple of people claiming to be “expert ghost hunters” making a few remarks about how incredibly paranormal the incident was? Hell, I even took a pic of the phone screen to PROVE it happened. No offense, but I have a sneaky suspicion you would have been using it here as one of your “examples” and asking us to convince you it wasn’t “paranormal”. Which begs the question, why did my story here not convince you? Was I not dramatic enough?

I know, I know, I know!!! Oo, oo, oo, oo, …

Wait…were they women or men?

Edit to put on helmet and pads.

On a related note: Since it has been filmed, it must be true? Those interested in martial arts will surely have heard about legendary masters who are/were able to do seemingly impossible things, like throwing people while not touching them. Here is an example of a “kiai master” that put out a challenge…and then an MMA fighter accepted the challenge:

(it’s an old video, so the quality is crap, but the content is interesting)

I have trained a couple of different martial arts over the years, and I’ve heard lots of variations on this. It all boils down to magical mumbo jumbo. In this video, an aikidoka who had first hand experience with this explains:

In short, the no touch techniques “work” because of a combination of conditioning, psychology, and social pressure.

2 Likes

Just not on that last chap, who cleaned his clock in the good old fashioned way. :rofl:

Linked to that video I found this:

Worth a watch…

2 Likes

I hate to admit it; but I kind of wanted to watch Bezos break a couple of Musk’s limbs.

1 Like

That is one of the more sober and realistic approaches to Aikido and its capabilities that I have seen. I was exposed to woo-woo Aikido in a weekend seminar once, and that was a rather…“interesting” experience.

Have you ever heard of Real Aikido? It’s Serbian (internationally recognised) version developed during religious wars in 1990’s.

This is just a promo video, first one I could found and it’s not even made by Serbians. So if you are interested, you should do a bit of your own research. Technique is is intended to be used with maximum force, meaning that each lock and joint movement is intended to destroy the joint, when done in survival mode.
I had opportunity to work with inventor when I was a kid during my karate days. Later we used some parts of it in military training.
One of main tactics for training is to do entire sessions in sand.