The Death and Resurrection of Jesus/gospel narratives is highly historically attested according to mainstream scholars

Awww. So sorry, JC, that you are unhappy with your life of being shackled to a god that will punish you severely if you try to live your life the way you truly want. But while I cannot speak for the others here, I’ll tell you this for myself. If your wonderful god is the only thing keeping you from becoming a self-serving degenerated menace to society, then I certainly will have no part in trying to prove your god does not exist. On the contrary, I will happily encourage you to continue fully believing in your chosen god so that you might somehow remain a good and productive human. Meanwhile, the rest of us will CHOOSE TO BE good people for the simple reason it is better for us and for those around us. We do not need threats or extortion to force us to be kind to others. So, please, for your own sake and for those around you, do not lose your faith. For, by your OWN admission, you will become a horrible person if you should stop believing in your god.

2 Likes

This is called the ‘MINIMAL FACTS ARGUMENT’
Your “Biblical Scholars” are not historians, but rather are largely members of the clergy with a vested interest in perpetuating the myth. "There is no First Century evidence, contemporary to the life of the Jesus character, that can confirm his existence, let alone his crucifixion.’

1. Gospels are stories and not facts. There are no eyewitnesses and no first-hand accounts. The Gospels have no attested accounts. Attested by who? The authors are unknown, they are full of inconsistencies and forgeries. The recent Jesus Seminar, " Provocative meeting of biblical scholars ends six years of voting on authenticity in the Gospels." Showed that 80% of the words attributed to Jesus in the NT were not his. That is what YOUR biblical scholars have to say about YOUR bible.

2. Obviously they do not. You are demonstrably wrong. There is a story in the bible about the disciples seeing the resurrections. The Bible can not even agree on who the disciples were, what their names were, or how many there were. The fact that there are 12 is a matter of tradition. The only way you get there is by dishonestly combining names and pretending different disciples had two or sometimes three different names.
    A complete listing of New Testament apostles follows.
    James, Brother of Jesus
    Barnabas–Acts 14:14
    Paul–Acts 14:14 and many other references
    Apollos– Corinthians 4:6-9
    Timothy and Silvanus– I Thessalonians 1:1 and 2:6
    Epaphroditus–Philippians 2:25.
    Two unnamed apostles–Second Corinthians 8:23.
    Andronicus and Junia–Romans 16:7
    .The Gospel of John, therefore, portrays Mary Magdalene as the first apostle ,This is further validated by the "Greater Expectations of Mary*** Gospel of Mary*** Whom Jesus took to the top of the mountain and demonstrated secret teachings. You have nothing but stories. “All Scholars - Not even true; and a very weak attempt at an Argumentum Ad Populum.”

3. Paul was an Apostle and not a Disciple. Get your disciples and apostles straight. And Buddhists set themselves on fire, And Islamists jump into airplanes and crash into buildings. So what. Stupid religious freaks play stupid religious games and win stupid religious prizes. The only transformative experience an idiot needs is sleep deprivation and a good brainwashing; the kind you get from religious indoctrinations in a place like Jonestown or Heaven’s Gate. Stupid people win stupid games.

4. Wow! That never happened before? How many Christians converted to Protestantism after the Protestant Reformation? How many Christian divisions are there in the world today? Splits are a common occurrence in the world and happen all the time. The fact that the Jewish faith split apart is nothing new. Where did the Jewish faith come from? It split from the Persian faith. So What? You are aware of course that the Early Jews were polytheistic during the exodus from Persia. They later became Henotheistic and only much later in their history Monotheistic. Are you aware of ANYTHING?

What evidence. You put forth biblical stories as evidence. Stories from the Bible are stories from the bible. They are the CLAIMS and not the EVIDENCE. You have made a mountain of claims and asserted that your religious scholars agree with your claims. That is all you have said. You have not provided evidence for the claims. We are still waiting for the evidence.

3 Likes

Let’s see:
Using Baez’s standard of: 5 [crackpot] points for each word in all capital letters; that’s like ~60 150 crackpot points in the initial post. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

That sounds incredibly false if for no other reason: as far as I know, there is no contemporary source for the New Testament character Jesus. If anyone knows of one; I’d like to hear about it.

1 Like

Meanwhile this atheist (myself) does not run around raping and killing. I choose to be a polite and law-abiding member of society and IMO practice a higher level of morality than that prescribed in the bible.

6 Likes

I noticed that too. I hope our little theist friend understands that the loudest one in the house is not the correct one by default.

1 Like

AWWWW, BULLSHIT!!! I’M OFTEN THE LOUDEST ONE IN HERE, AND EVERYBODY KNOWS I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Fuck, I forgot the volume control in tin men goes up to eleven.

1 Like

Goes up to 12 now. I got an upgrade.

Pfff. My volume button goes to “MAX”.

1 Like

Where was the evidence for resurrection?

You should watch this!

Who the hell is Max? And what makes him louder than 12?

The loudest of them all.

MAX is always as loud or louder than 12, as MAX does not have a theoretical upper limit, but approaches ∞.

2 Likes

lol they always go to Josephus or Tacitus. This old guy really does an amazing job explaining why historians wrote the Josephus letter off as a forgery. The man was a Jew, the Christian scribe doctored the letter.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why I listed Josephus as the first clue as well…

These people never bother checking any of the threads to see if their so-called “evidence” had ever been addressed.

1 Like

Being a receptacle for religious propaganda is a much more convenient way to go through life than being a thinking, informed adult.

And it includes the side benefit of enabling smugness in those so predisposed, in my observation. Bonus.

2 Likes

Sounds just like every theist that calls in to the Atheist Experience, they must all be reading from the same script.

1 Like

Scholarship? It’s just people reporting things that they already believe, non of it is objective.

I always thought it was Motorhead.

Currently watching a documentary on MJ. What an athlete!

I know this is a debate forum, but can I just say in all honesty - who cares if Jesus lived or died?

The Buddha lived and died. His spiritual legacy outweighs Jesus 10 to none.

The amount of spoken word attested to Jesus in, say, the red letter Bibles they have is maybe 1 millionth in comparison to the amount of spoken word attributed to the Buddha. Probably less. I’m probably exaggerating on the high side.

And taking everything into consideration, why would I want to worship a madman? Why not follow the legacy of a man who advocated a life of bettering oneself - not blind faith and vampire blood meals?

1 Like