Ten Commandments in school classrooms?

Hi guys.

I found this. What do you think?

Iā€™m guessing that the Satanic Temple lawyers will jump on that. Maybe they can get their 7 tenets posted too. Theyā€™re so obviously a better and more realistic set of tenets than the 10 commandments that even some grade schoolers will likely see the difference.
Iā€™ve always disliked being thought of as a satanist just because Iā€™m an atheist, but there are so few options to combat these clowns.

4 Likes

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Australia

The ā€˜Iā€™d Really Rather You Didnā€™tsā€™

The 8 Iā€™d Really Rather You Didnā€™ts

1. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t act like a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou ass when describing my Noodly Goodness.

2. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others.

3. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay?

4. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age and mental maturity.

5. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t challenge the bigoted, misogynist, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the b******.

6. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t build multimillion-dollar churches / temples / mosques / shrines to my Noodly Goodness when the money could be better spent

7. Iā€™d really rather you didnā€™t do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather / lubricant / lass Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a condom!

7 Likes

Religion has no place in schools, period. The Christians are absurdly hypocritical about it. They only want THEIR religion being advertised in schools and they do where I live on school lunch hours. My daughter said that they allow Faith Assembly to come in and sit in one of the class rooms and bribe kids with pizza or fast food to get them to attend the meeting. Iā€™m not okay with that.

9 Likes

It seems the U.S. is becoming more and more like other countries dominated and ruled by religion. Will it be long-lasting? I sure hope not. So much rides on the shoulders of Gen Z.

5 Likes

I agree with you (and with everyone elseā€™s posts as well).

A major impetus for me joining this forum is to explore the problems that religion creates when it comes to me doing my job in healthcare.

Now, it seems that the cancer keeps spreading.

3 Likes

Yes, unfortunately cancer often kills itā€™s hostā€¦

5 Likes

A law that at least sounds similar was struck down by the courts about 40 years ago in Kentucky.

3 Likes

Theocracies are incompatible with a democratic republic, theyā€™re on a collision course with the constitution, lets hope the secular constitution wins out, as I suspect they donā€™t realise they are sawing the branch theyā€™re sitting on, and religious rights like all others, are best protected by just such a secular constitution that separates church and state.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the courts are filled with a lot of right-wingers.

2 Likes

I completely agree. However, the folks in the U.S. supporting such laws and rulings look ahead only to the ends of their noses.

1 Like

Even if I was the most conservative, deeply religious right-winger . . . I still wouldnā€™t want laws like this.

The reason why we have religious freedom in this country is because the government is secular and is not supposed to favor one religion.

Also, the government screws up almost everything . . . as almost one dollar in four spent by the government is wasted.

Even if I was a rabid Evangellical . . . do I want the government screwing up religion too?

I liken the push for religion in schools to the tobacco companies trying to hook kids on cigarettes. They know their numbers are falling and if they donā€™t capture the next generations theyā€™re screwed.

7 Likes

Iā€™m certain allowing the 10 into schools opens the doors for all religious views. Here are some more options we can stick right beside the Christian garbage.

Church of Satan and LaVeyan Satanism and published ā€œThe Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earthā€:[2]

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in anotherā€™s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your home annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

In his 2005 book Manifesto of Evolutionary Humanism German philosopher Michael Schmidt-Salomon devised ā€œThe Ten Offers of Evolutionary Humanismā€. In short, they read as follows:[6][7]

1. Serve neither foreign nor familiar ā€œgodsā€ but rather the great ideal of ethics to lessen the suffering in the world. To possess science, philosophy and art means not to need religion!
  2. Behave fairly to your neighbour and also to those farthest away!
  3. Have no fear of authorities, but rather the courage to reason for yourself!
  4. You shall not lie, cheat, steal or kill ā€“ unless, in an emergency, there is no other way of asserting the ideals of humanity!
  5. Free yourself from the bad habit of moralizing!
  6. Do not immunize yourself against criticism!
  7. Do not be too confident! But even doubt should be doubted!
  8. Overcome any tendency towards tradition blindness by informing yourself in depth from all sides before making a decision!
  9. Enjoy your life because it is highly probable that it will be the only one you have!
  10. Put your life in the service of a ā€œgreater causeā€, become a part of the tradition of those who desire(d) to make the world a better place in which to live.

Christopher Hitchens (2010)[edit]

Christopher Hitchens was an English American author, columnist, essayist, orator, religious and literary critic, social critic, and journalist.

His new Ten Commandments are:[11][12]

1. Do not condemn people on the basis of their ethnicity or their color.
  2. Do not ever even think of using people as private property, or as owned, or as slaves.
  3. Despise those who use violence or the threat of it in sexual relations.
  4. Hide your face and weep if you dare to harm a child.
  5. Do not condemn people for their inborn nature ā€” why would God create so many homosexuals only in order to torture and destroy them?
  6. Be aware that you, too, are an animal, and dependent on the web of nature. Try and think and act accordingly.
  7. Do not imagine that you can escape judgement if you rob people with a false prospectus rather than with a knife.
  8. Turn off that cell phone ā€” you can have no idea how unimportant your call is to us.
  9. Denounce all jihadists and crusaders for what they are: psychopathic criminals with ugly delusions. And terrible sexual repressions.
  10. Be willing to renounce any god or any faith if any holy commandments should contradict any of the above.
  • In short: Donā€™t swallow your moral code in tablet form.

Bayer and Figdorā€™s Ten Non-Commandments (2014)[edit]

As detailed in the book Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart: Re-writing the Ten Commandments for the Twenty-first Century by Lex Bayer

1. The world is real, and our desire to understand the world is the basis for belief.
  2. We can perceive the world only through our human senses.
  3. We use rational thought and language as tools for understanding the world.
  4. All truth is proportional to the evidence.
  5. There is no God.
  6. We all strive to live a happy life. We pursue things that make us happy and avoid things that do not.
  7. There is no universal moral truth. Our experiences and preferences shape our sense of how to behave.
  8. We act morally when the happiness of others makes us happy.
  9. We benefit from living in, and supporting, an ethical society.
  10. All our beliefs are subject to change in the face of new evidence, including these.

Ten Indian Commandments (not dated)[edit]

The Bird Clan of East Central Alabama has the Ten Native American Commandments.[17]

1. Remain close to the Great Spirit.
  2. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
  3. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.
  4. Be truthful and honest at all times.
  5. Do what you know to be right.
  6. Look after the well being of mind and body.
  7. Treat the earth and all that dwell there on with respect.
  8. Take full responsibility for your actions.
  9. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
  10. Work together for the benefit of all man kind.

en Commandments (Revised) is a work by unknown philosopher and concerned Netizen AVacc who revised the Ten Commandments when he noticed the original version was lacking.

1. You shall hold no life below your own.
  2. You shall seek and love the truth.
  3. You shall hold education as your life long vocation.
  4. You shall live by your own honest work.
  5. You shall honor all people.
  6. You shall not kill.
  7. You shall be responsible for your own actions.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not lie.
  10. You shall be gracious.
9 Likes

Thanks, @Cognostic, for collecting those and posting. Some are quite lovely.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in complete agreement with you, if a stranger asks me if Iā€™m a Satanist, Iā€™ll gladly respond with ā€œyes, as a matter of fact I amā€.
If theists want to think that weā€™re all Satanists because we donā€™t believe in any of their garbage, thatā€™s their problem, not mine.
This ruling is fucking stupid. I hope TST does challenge it.

1 Like

The FFRF is aware of it. They tried to keep the bill from passing and will likely open a case to challenge it now that it has.

2 Likes

I never tried to make a modern version of ten commandments, I never thought about that since they are not actually that much referenced here.
I did, however, tried to to create a ā€œsecular, humanist, naturalist (whatever)ā€ version of lordā€™s prayer. I never got a good name for it. Keep in mind that this is my attempt to create an archaic impactful message in second language. Feel free to add or correct it. I donā€™t have much more other people I can exchange this with. If you think itā€™s nonsense, I like to hear it. If you think itā€™s somewhat cool, at least, I would be proud of it. I also made a little bit adapted version in my domestic language.
All this was inspired by events at the start of Co-vid pandemic when we nearly doubled number of cases in one day basically, during the eucharist event. Thousands of people shared one spoon. We donā€™t have crackers, our unleavened bread is just boiled wheat seed, semi mushed.
Well here it goes.

Our Mind who art in our sculls
respected be Thy name, Thy emotion
valued, Thy acts here and now
be measure for times to come;
Teach us today how to make
our bread, and to accept
apology as well as to
apologies, and to help when we can
but not to judge!

More precise, in my opinion, would be to say ā€œinspirationā€ instead of ā€œmindā€ but I was told it sounds too big or too long, so I have chosen ā€œmindā€.

Edit for grammar: do you know what ā€œrakijaā€ is?

3 Likes

One can only hope.

And I hope they get screwed with a pinecone.

3 Likes

The only consolation I have in that regard is that I see fewer and fewer of the younger generation holding any interest in organized religion. For instance, my stepdaughter and her husband have nothing to do with church/religion. Meaning my wife and I arenā€™t having to battle against it. Therefore, my grandson will not be indoctrinated the way I was. That is a plus and some small amount of hope in my book.

4 Likes