"Spiritual" Delusion

How very true. That is amplified if they work alone.

Superstitious beliefs are like a virus. The problem starts when it spreads like Covid. When a multitude of people pick it up and start forcefully spreading it; it becomes a pandemic of a problem. Yes, I think Christianity is a problem. It has gotten to the point where someone’s beliefs take priority and infringe on our rights here in America. When the US government starts taking away women’s rights because someone with “Christian” values got “offended” I begin to take issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took away gay marriage as well.

1 Like

Not to possibly derail this topic but I pondered an interesting thought the other night. Do you consider outside information or media as something consumable? Are you consuming content, you can choose your choice of content by preference?

1 Like

Beliefs drive decisions and positions. It can range from the horrific act of not taking a sick child to the doctor when one is clearly indicated, to voting for ridiculous laws.

I agree that generally for most, no harm. But religion is a gateway to society going in the wrong direction or individuals making very poor choices.

My argument is that one can life a life with just as much joy and confidence without a god thing. Opening up the “spiritual” (whatever the F that is) can of worm leads into very fuzzy and imprecise decisions and world view.

3 Likes

My biggest issue with religion is its effect on education. There’s been a running battle with the fundies in this country for over 100 years on teaching evolution in science classes. They either push for banning the teaching of evolution, “balancing” evolution with creationism or ID, or push to “teach the controversy”. It’s all bullshit and can only lead to the schools turning out scientifically illiterate kids.

It’s like a game of Whack-a-Mole… Beat down one attempt and another pops up under another, thinly disguised, guise. With the current makeup of the Supreme Court, I wouldn’t be surprised if the creationism nutjobs gain ground.

3 Likes

They do not have to go to the Supreme Court to get their way on this issue. Creationism was defeated in court. So in their minds what is the solution? Teach less science, a lot less. That is a far easier path to them to follow in order to achieve their goals.

LOL… You don’t really think they want someone capable of critical thinking on a jury do you? They literally want the stupidest people they can find. The prosecutor loves the Jesus adoring value-laden, string em all up and let god sort them out, church-going, bible toting, fearful of god, life and her own shadow, cat-loving, everything in the proper place, 8th grade educated, widow.

The defense, on the other hand, wants a cop-hating, tree-hugging, anti-vaxxing, transexual or at least gay, anti-religious but into meditation, social activist, who is anti-abortion, pro-black lives matter, anti-trump, and who can not name three countries in North America, The biggest country in South America, or how many stars there are on the American flag.

3 Likes

Holy shit… That’s probably the most accurate explanation of a jury selection system I’ve ever heard. Nailed it! :joy:

As many times as I’ve seen the Argument from Incredulity used in a courtroom and during depositions?.. no. :joy:

2 Likes

They have several potential “solutions”.

Since the current court seems to have no problems with going against precedent, even long-standing precedent, they can easily overturn their precedents in Epperson v. Arkansas or Edwards v. Aguillard.

As you say, they can try to minimize the teaching of science in general. This, IMO, is a tougher proposition, since although many Americans distrust science, most do see it as one of the engines of economic progress and acknowledge that it’s given them things like smartphones and routine air travel. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater would be a tough course to navigate.

Another approach they can take is one of intimidation of biology teachers similar to how the anti-abortion people intimidate doctors at clinics. I haven’t seen any evidence this has happened, but if they get desperate enough it could happen.

But it can happen. Just look at Florida’s ban on teaching “critical race theory”, and even some states restricting what is allowed in the classroom.

Which American flag? There are 21 in the Americas.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Nice reply. I’m going to remember that. America is a frigging contenet and there are 2 of them along with all the islands. Too often I find myself referencing the USA, as America, and just don’t think of all the other ‘Americas.’ I stand corrected!

3 Likes

Yeah, don’t read any news tomorrow…

Part of the issue here is “United States” doesn’t lend itself to a descriptive term for its citizens. “United Statesian” sounds awkward and silly, which is why we’ve adopted (or usurped, depending on your point of view) “American” instead,

Even though as a Canadian I was born, live, and will die in North America, I don’t bear a grudge. But if one reads all of my posts, I make the distinction and use the term “US citizen”.

1 Like

Makes sense. Being abroad, the question most frequently aske is; “Are you a US Citizen?” No one official asks if I am American. Locally, people do ask, “Are you from America.” I would never have the heart to tell them that America is 57 different countries. Apparently some of the flags are missing from our currently posted visual aids.

I hope this is the full list:
Statistics and data of all countries in America).

“Freedomlandian,” perhaps?

2_jpeg76807a1721098b1caf949e8fb22b9130

1 Like

Freedom from what? Progress, reason?

1 Like