Religion contributing to food insecurity

Awwww Fuck! I didn’t know we had a cookbook! I have been boiling them until they are tender and the meat is just falling off the bone, then I cover them in barbeque sauce and grill them crispy on the outside. Add a couple of taters, some corn, and you have yourself one Hell-of-a-meal.

I can’t wait to try some new ways of fixin those little fritters. What’s your favorite baby recipe?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It means a lot hearing that . . . I often feel stupid when I get myself in these situations.

1 Like

Hi guys, I just wanted to follow up on this.

I actually got a better, higher-paying job working out of my home . . . so I don’t work for this hospital anymore.

And–in fairness to the hospital religious nuts–I brought up this Sikh issue in the cafeteria during lunch on my last day, and a manager in the social services dept. overheard and grilled me on the conversation.

He apologized, told me that I was in the right, and mentioned that he would add the Sikh temple to it’s list of food resources . . . and have a talk with the staff to “adjust their thinking” on the realities of food insecurity, and to be more open-minded.

This happened just the other day, so I wanted to follow up with everyone, especially because of the validation and emotional support that was extended from everybody in this thread.

So, thank you again.

4 Likes

Congratulations :partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada::partying_face::tada:!!!

I am so very happy to hear you have a new job and left the previous by effectively defending your position on the Sikh food pantry.

I look forward to any updates from you in the future. I am certain you will be doing great!

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I actually recently volunteered at the Sikh langar food pantry, and it was an eye-opening experience.

There was a church in my area that is involved with feeding people who have food insecurity, and they turned away a gay couple and their children because of their “values” about homosexuality.

No such thing happens at a Sihk langar. I helped feed all kinds of people, and nobody cared about anyone’s “values” beyond the requirement of “leaving any conflicts outside so that people can eat in peace.”

There was no prosthetylizing, no value judgements, and no snide comments about a person’s circumstances.

It was quite refreshing.

7 Likes

Holy Christ on a greased celery stick! What kind of fucked up mentality turns away hungry children from food like that??? :rage::angry::rage: Wish I could have been there for that bullshit. Those kids and their parents would have been fed, one way or the other. Good grief!

2 Likes

I have volunteered in a few soup kitchens, and I saw this only once . . . but once is too much.

It was a Freewill Southern Baptist church, and I’ll never volunteer for them again.

In fairness, I’m sure that this particular congregation doesn’t represent the majority of Christian churches.

From now on, I’ll only volunteer at the Sikh langar.

3 Likes

I personally saw from the beginning of my brief ventures into theism at a younger age that there is this very hypocritical, anti-christian form of hate for other denominations and schisms. The non-humanity is such a turn-off that I wonder how otherwise reasonable people remain religious.

3 Likes

Agreed. The hypocrasy is an extreme turn-off.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/trans-woman-turned-away-soup-kitchen/&ved=2ahUKEwiXsrfZgpT5AhW2ZjABHcRQD1o4ChAWegQIGhAB&usg=AOvVaw3g56HW5aRiH-L8P1fM1nEb

Here is a blurb about a trans person being turned away from a soup kitchen, as an example of what I mean.

This trans person was also served a trespassing citation by the police for trying to worship.

According to the church, this is what Christ wants of us.

People wonder why I’m so much against organized religion.

2 Likes

Your wasting your time. Religions don’t turn people away from soup kitchens. People turn themselves away by making sinful choices with their lives. No one has to have sex with a person of the same sex. It is a sinful choice they make. Wallowing in the sin of self indulgence.

3 Likes

Are you for real? Or is this sarcasm? As an autistic person, I lack social insight.

Many religions claim they are inclusive and charitable. But they are exclusive and transactional in practice.

You must adhere to their dress and conduct code, and give them something in return, be it listening to a sermon or confessing or donating money.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that.

2 Likes

A heads-up on Cognostic. His motives are always positive and altruistic. But his methods are either plain and simple, shock treatment, or sarcasm.

3 Likes

Wait… Sarcasm?.. From COG???.. No waaaaaaay! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me know.

3 Likes

Only because you are Autistic: I would never give anyone else a break. Yes. I am talking out my ass. At the same time; I am saying EXACTLY what Christians say. Exactly!

3 Likes