One for all you theists out there, somewhere

Whose description? I guess it bears repeating. You obviously are too ignorant to get the hint regardless of how many times it is said to you or who says it.

Go fuck yourself! If you want to have a mature debate… stop making up definitions and listen to the fucking people you are talking to.

3 Likes

Is this addressed to me or someone else?

You have to change pusher dude.
You are one vile and disgusting human being.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO KILL ME?

Very basic “black and white” logic. The same you would expect from any theist indoctrinated with bullshit their entire life. “You are either with me or against me. You don’t like the utter nonsense and complete bullshit I am babbling, so, you must be an enemy and want to kill me.” Fucktard logic 101.

4 Likes

From day one you accused me of saying babbling shit to you when I had never even spoken to you. You had created it all in your head. Do you recall that or should I pull that up to remind you?

You continue to do so and expect me to take you seriously? Stop this childish behavior and move on please.
Are you ok dude? Do you need help?

You posted your babbling shit for all to read you idiot. This is a public forum. PUBLIC. No one gives a shit if you take me seriously or not. The posts speak for themselves. Go read a book!

2 Likes

Are you a comedian or do you not see that you are babbling shit I never said? FYI I am reading a book: 3001 The Final Odyssey. Do you like science fiction books?

Me? Love 'em, read little else for about 20 years. Imo some science fiction may be accurately described as great literature.

Last twenty odd years have read almost entirely non fiction***, mostly history. Last three years or so it’s been the history of christianity, especially Bart Ehrman. Still reading “Paul; The mind Of The Disciple” by A N Wilson . Also a couple from archaeologists ***

I discovered Dr Richard Carrier only a few months ago. Also love the Youtube clips from Bishop John Shelby Spong, my favourite theist. ( at least since my ‘small c’ Christian mother died last year)

May I ask what you’ve read in that general area? It’s a vast topic.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

** I have mild OCD. That means I will obsessively read one author. My favourite in recent years are the [fiction] books of French Egyptologist, Christian Jacq. His series on Ramses 11 are great fun.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((900)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Archaeology:

'Did God Have a wife?"

" Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel*** , (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. Did God Have a Wife? was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BCE), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon."

Your reading a book!!! I’m shocked! Why don’t you talk about that then, instead of babbling on about shit of which you know absolutely nothing about?

1 Like

@boomer47

Great… another book reader. We are becoming a rare breed and can share suggestions.

I tend to stay away from most religious and philosophy books. I have read too many of those when I was younger . Right now I prefer history, archaeology, science, science fiction, fiction, astronomy and autobiographies.

My memory is terrible but some books I read were The Faces of God ( or something like that) It was about the five different personalities of God ( a very conflicting god). Books by Carl Sagan, Sigmund Freud, Nietzsche, Autobiograhy from World Banker ( I forget which one). Many more but sorry my memory is bad.

I have a few lined up right now. Besides the one I am reading now next in line are : The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom 1750-1925 and The Outsiders by S.E.Hinton.

You mentioned The Bible Unearthed and I am more inclined to read religious books like that because it involves archeology. That’s one I will look into. Thanks

Pagels, “The Origins of Satan” is a must for anyone brought up in a heavily theistic society that is influenced by such nonsense.

I’m afraid you have it backwards. The book is written by two secular archaeologists and is about the history of Judaism. NOT ’ a religious book’ The authors question some of the basic teachings of Judaism, EG the existence of the Davidic Kingdom.

If you are not able to read the book, the Wiki article cited below is pretty good.

The methodology applied by the authors is historical criticism with an emphasis on archaeology. Writing in the website of “The Bible and Interpretation”, the authors describe their approach as one “in which the Bible is one of the most important artifacts and cultural achievements [but] not the unquestioned narrative framework into which every archaeological find must be fit.” Their main contention is that:[1]

…an archaeological analysis of the patriarchal, conquest, judges, and United Monarchy narratives [shows] that while there is no compelling archaeological evidence for any of them, there is clear archaeological evidence that places the stories themselves in a late 7th-century BCE context.

On the basis of this evidence they propose

… an archaeological reconstruction of the distinct histories of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, highlighting the largely neglected history of the Omride Dynasty and attempting to show how the influence of Assyrian imperialism in the region set in motion a chain of events that would eventually make the poorer, more remote, and more religiously conservative kingdom of Judah the belated center of the cultic and national hopes of all Israel.

As noted by a reviewer on Salon.com[2] the approach and conclusions of The Bible Unearthed are not particularly new. Ze’ev Herzog, professor of archaeology at Tel Aviv University, wrote a cover story for Haaretz in 1999 in which he reached similar conclusions following the same methodology; Herzog noted also that some of these findings have been accepted by the majority of biblical scholars and archaeologists for years and even decades, even though they have only recently begun to make a dent in the awareness of the general public.[2]

2 Likes

You have claimed to be an atheist, it’s in your profile. It’s right there next to your username.

Then why do you believe they exist?

Then how on earth can you claim to believe they exist?

Those claims are not the same.

Then you clearly don’t know what open minded means.

That’s gibberish, it makes no sense?

You either do or do not believe a deity exists, and you have already claimed you do not, it’s there in your profile for everyone to see.

The word dishonest seems to be competing with the word confused, judging from your posts.

1 Like

It’s not a religious book, it’s a secular book about religion, and that’s not how you spell archaeology.

If you want the quick version, the author made a YouTube video under the same name.

Possibility needs to be demonstrated, else wise you are just talking out your ass some more.

1 Like

That makes sense . Believing the bible is true makes it easy for a person to believe in just about anything without evidence.

I’ve always thought Lewis Carroll expressed that ability quite pithily:

"Alice laughed: “There’s no use trying,” she said; “one can’t believe impossible things.”
“I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

Alice in Wonderland.

Religious people have lots of practice.

‘If you could reason with religious people there wouldn’t be any’ (Dr Greg House)

2 Likes

@boomer47
@Sheldon
@Cognostic

I suggest you don’t take 2 comments I said (I believe that UFO’s and aliens exist… and … I believe the possibility is there), take them out of context and make them look like I am talking about 1 particular thing.

Quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as contextomy or quote mining) is an informal fallacy in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoting_out_of_context#:~:text=Quoting%20out%20of%20context%20(sometimes,to%20distort%20its%20intended%20meaning.

Boomer. Fuck your bible. You keep bringing it up as much as any theist I know.
Cognistic: Well you blew it on day one and two. No soup for you !!
Sheldon. Fuck you and here’s why.

1. It has already been explained to me by Boomer what The Bible Unearthed is so what’s your point? Looking for a reaction you troll well you got it.
  2. You don’t keep up with things as they go along and then make up shit . You want a detailed explanation of why I say this…well fuck you and reread everything if you have to. Don’t expect me to copy and paste just to make your life easier.
  3. I only need to convince myself of what is true and what is not with the evidence that I see with my own eyes. I have seen plenty to know that what I see is real and all the conversations we can have can never give you the evidence you need. How many times do I have to repeat that I have no evidence to give YOU or anyone else and I have no interest to pursue that path. No matter how many times you ask that question the answer remains the same.
  4. You think you are an expert on the English language? Your sentences, word choices and structures clearly shows that you are not even close to any professional writer with language skills. So what does that make you? Better than those below you and worst than those above you? Welcome to the club .
  5. For defending an outright lie pasted by your buddy Cognistic. Having a memory failure? Well fuck you and instead of correcting people’s writing skills TRY READING EVERYTHING FOR A CHANGE before making conclusions.

So what? I may if I wish. Don’t need your permission Sunshine.

It’s not ‘my’ bible. I happen to have read it and have an interest in the history of the Abrahamic faiths ,as well as some training in cultural anthropology.
Don’t like what I post.? Oh dear, I may lose the will to live. To put it in the vernacular; El fucking stiffo.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … “To hell with independent verification!” Comes the shout from the ignorant as they lemming their way up the street!

Mumbled the gagged man from behind his spit mask in a four point tie down prone position on the gurney.

He repeated once again, as if anyone at all was listening to his inane ramblings.

The doctor walks in, looks at the note pad where our patient had been attempting to scribble the night before, grasps what the patient intends to say and makes the following changes.

"4. (Do) you think you are an expert (when it comes to using) the English language? Your (word choice, sentences and syntax) clearly (show / demonstrate) your (ability to compose written material is nowhere near professional quality.) (Rhetorical Question removed, it serves no purpose) I assume you are better than those who’s writing ability is not as developed as your own but not as prolific a writer as those with superior skills. (I would seriously consider dropping this last sentence as it is true for anyone who has ever picked up a pencil and put it to paper. This renders the comment utterly and completely meaningless.) Oh… it’s “worse” not “worst.” Hope this helps. Feel better soon!

How in the fuck did he know I was using paste? Now that is God Damn Amazing. — As for the comment about “Reading Everything” You can’t be fucking serious!

Do you have any idea at all how long it would take to read everything? That is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard of. I spent 8 years studying psychology and if I am lucky, I probably only read about 10% of all that was being published at the time along with many of the classics. 8 years of study gave me a good overview, a bit of depth in specific areas of interest, and the ability to communicate effectively with other professionals in the field. Can you even imagine how long it would take to read everything. Seriously dude… That is the mother of all bad ideas!

Perhaps if you wrote something worth reading, more people would read what you are writing.

3 Likes