Non-Theistic Religion

Why should we care about what Einstein had to say about a religion?

1 Like

Very interesting. I have never seen a Won temple in Korea. I am keeping my eyes open for them now. They are in regular buildingā€™s like churches. There are about 350 of them in Korea. Thatā€™s not much considering there are churches on every corner and buddhist temples on every mountain with shrines or smaller temples tucked into every small Dong. I did a city search and canā€™t find one in my city. But the big circle on their garb and buildings will not be hard to miss. Iā€™ve never seen it, not in 25 years. Iā€™m going to keep my eyes peeled for it though.

im-glad-that-you-said-that-italo-brown

1 Like

A talk about Buddha? Can I join grabs popcorn where are we, guys? Whereā€™d we leave off. I know SOOOOO MUCH about Buddha. Ask me whatever you like hmph flexing arms

Well Ratty. I found myself giggling at the idea of wanting to see a Hindu eat a nice big juicy sirloin. I imagined them choking it down and apologizing profusely to Brahma in tears after each bite. Thatā€™d make my day. Iā€™d probably pay money to see that. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Iā€™d much rather see a cow eat a Hindu. Of course Hindus are worshipped by cows in India. It would be very tsk tsk.

A few observations regarding Buddha and Theist religion.

UHHHHHH. How do I say this? The Buddha was given the epitaph ā€œtrainer and teacher of gods and men.ā€ - not off to a good start.

The Buddha preached an after life. Hell for bad people. Heaven for very sexy people. And rebirth as a catapiller for sex offenders.

The Buddha taught the existEnce of numerous realms containing NUMEROUS deities. Namely, ā€œThe Gods who delight in Creationā€ and ā€œThe Gods who delight in Otherā€™s Creationsā€ - just as an example.

The Buddha acknowledged the existence of an Overlord. The Buddha did not explicitly or implicitly attribute ā€œexistenceā€ to a Creator God, however.

Itā€™s not really buddhism. Itā€™s a neo-christian-buddhist mix of cultish bullshit. Pretty much the same shat that buddha was pushing in his time when he went up against the taoists.

Buddha went up against Tao? No. That canā€™t be right. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s wrong. It might just be me, but I think youā€™re mistaken. Did I read that right. Hmm. Yes I did. Indeed. No. That canā€™t be. Are you sure? Hmm. Now Iā€™m confused. I canā€™t be sure. Iā€™m doubting. Iā€™m on the fence about this one. :woman_shrugging:

Buddhism went up against all the Religions of its time. That is what relitions do.
The arrival of Buddhism forced Taoism to renew and restructure itself into a more organized religion , while addressing similar existential questions raised by Buddhism. Early Buddhism was sometimes seen as a kind of foreign relative of Taoism and its scriptures were often translated into Chinese with Taoist vocabulary.**

Some Buddhist practices were similar to Taoist ones , and Buddhist monks would use Taoist concepts to explain Buddhism to the Chinese, overcoming the cultural and language barrier between Indian and the Chinese people. Buddhism also influenced Taoism with its institutional structure, which Taoists copied and modified.

Buddhism and Daoism have co-influenced each other over hundreds of years in China. Although Buddha lived from 563 B.C. to 483 B.C., the founder of Daoism, Lao-Tzu was thought to live in the 6th century BCE. Buddhism and Daoism didnā€™t encounter each other until Buddhism entered China around the third century BCE ā€” and since that time (arguably) they have influenced each other as both flourished across China.

Nontheism is choosing not to believe in any of the available Gods. Atheism is not ever having to make that choice.

So you think you can choose your beliefs? Really? Can you choose to think you are a jar of peanut butter?

Non = without Theism = belief in god
A = without Theism = belief in god

They are the same word. You are either convinced that a claim is true or you are not. I seriously doubt you can choose a belief.

3 Likes

Agreed. Belief is the result of becoming convinced

Editā€¦sheesh

No, but once I fell into the ā€œbeliefā€ that I was a rutabaga and found myself being chased by an Appalachian vegetable gardener, until she realized that she had ā€œchosen to believeā€ that I was indeed, in spite of my contrary appearance, a ripe and ready rutabagaā€¦upon realizing her self-delusion, she then gave up the chase and started following Tin, who at the time had ā€œchosen to believeā€ he was a cumquatā€¦

Edict

1 Like

And let me tell you, Iā€™ll never make THAT mistake again. I never knew that being sweet on the outside while being sour on the inside could cause such mental conflict.

(Edited for duality.)

1 Like

Yeah, in the future, you should probably stick with gummy bearsā€¦the wife would prefer thatā€¦uh, not to imply that I would have ā€œintimateā€ knowledge of what she would preferā€¦

Edit for obfuscation

1 Like

Little Debbie strawberry shortcake rolls, actually. I admit itā€™s kinda difficult believing thatā€™s what I am, but itā€™s worth the payoff. :grin:

2 Likes

Well if you keep at it you could become an entire smorgasbord before you know itā€¦imagine THAT payoff.

Edit for menu revision

Good news folks. The Satanic Temple is sueing Idaho on their Abortion ban. Iā€™m really hoping they win. :grin:

3 Likes

Two thumbs up to the Satanic Temple. I just found out one of my employees is a member. Iā€™ve no idea at all why she has been so meek around all the Christians in the office. We went to a special function Sat. Morning and she let it slip while I was explaining Testimony of Truth from the Nag Hammadi library was where the Jews Stole their idea for the 10 commandments and that a little story called the Epic of Gilgamesh predated Noahā€™s flood, and that the whole story of Satan was made up bullshit by the Christians (I cover a lot of territories when I get goingā€¦) and that modern Satan worshipers didnā€™t actually worship Satan and didnā€™t believe in him and that they were just making fun of the Christians for their stupidity, and thisā€¦,. not so little girlā€¦ starts pointing to herself and says, Yep, Iā€™m a member. HOLY FUCK I was more shocked than the Christian, who didnā€™t have a leg to stand on after the onslaught I had just delivered. So, I topped it off with, ā€œAnd the commandments of the Church of Satan are more moral than those of your Church.ā€ And this little lady pipes in, ā€˜You want to hear them,ā€™ and reads them off one by one. And I can see them physically flowing in one ear and out the other of our Christian friend as all he heard was; ā€˜Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa -wa-wa-wa - wa-wa-wa-wa-waā€¦ā€™ He stood there with his eyes glazed over. It could have been the fact that he had been friends with a SATANISTā€¦ LOL I did quote a bible verse for him ---- ā€˜Do not yolk yourself with nonbelievers.ā€™ Just ignore everything we say. Time was up and we had to get going. We were all friends again and I gave the guy a ride home. We have talked Christian before and all of our conversations have come out like this one. He just does not have a leg to stand on or the apologetic sense to hang with objections to his assertions. So, I will make sure to mention this to my Satanin friend.

6 Likes

Oh, how I wish I could have been there to see THAT! :joy::joy::joy: Why didnā€™t you at least record it, you selfish bastard? :joy::joy:

(Disgruntled edit.)