New guy who believes in God

I always think WTF that his reaction to her…after her being gang raped all night is a simple… “Get up. Let’s go.”

I think that’s a misquote. What he probably said was, “Where’s my breakfast?” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Which raises a huge and uncomfortable question in my mind. In those days and under those rules, who were treated better, a man’s wife and daughters or his slaves?

@Cr2187 I hope you understand that the evidence/argument to prove a jesus existed isn’t even circumstantial, and would not stand in a court of law.

At the very best, all that is available is the fact that some characters mentioned in the bible did exist. The Brooklyn Bridge exists in Spider Man comics, thus he exists?

And any account of jesus were written over a generation after his death. Is it really practical to believe that for a generation this telephone story did not get exaggerated, stories added and inflated?

And even if some dude named jesus did exist in that time, raised shit and was crucified by the Romans (which I can accept) that does not prove he performed any miracles or was the son of god.

And the Romans were known for generating a lot of records. I can access what Julius Caesar was thinking as he pondered crossing the Rubicon. Please think this through, that a civilization famous for records has absolutely nothing about this jesus? Just a mention on his movement many years later?

My friend, you have a long way to go to prove a jesus existed, and an even more difficult road to prove he performed miracles and was the son of god.

And please remember, the bible is the claim, not the proof.

2 Likes

Pretty much. Jesus is no more real than Ezio from Assassins Creed. Ezio Firenze is a fictional video game character that they inserted into historical Renaissance Italy dealing with real historical people. Which is historical fiction like the Bible.

But I wouldn’t hold my breath. @C2187 will make excuses in his head on how we’re wrong because of his indoctrination. He’s clearly not going to accept a rational argument on how there isn’t a grain of evidence supporting that his god or Jesus exists because he’s hung up on “the god of gaps” and a fuck ton of Christian propaganda that has got him programmed full of superstitious bullshit. I guarantee if he replies again he’ll go back to the same circular bullshit he’s been using and post more misinformation. I would not be surprised.

1 Like

I have a question for you, believer: How can you bring yourself to love and worship a self-confessed genocidal murderer who feels entitled to burn alive anyone who does not cower in fear before “him” and obey his every command? This imaginary god of yours is clearly a narcissistic, sadistic, vengeful psychopath who belongs in a padded cell. Right?

2 Likes

This paper in the BMJ has a different take on the Lot+daughters story. Essentially, the authors argue that the story reeks of blame-shifting, or an ancient cover-up story. If the daughters got their father so drunk they could essentially rape him (ancient drug-rape, even), how come they could make his penis stay erect for the duration of the sexual intercourse, and make him ejaculate? This would have to have happened several times, as both the daugthers alllegedly got pregnant this way. The story just does not add up. But it gets very interesting the moment one consider that the story is really about incest and sexual abuse committed by the father to his daughters. And as we know today, it is all to common for rapists and child abusers to accuse the rape victim of “seducing” the rapist, thereby shifting the blame.

Who seduced whom in the biblical incest story of Lot and his daughters? The answer reveals an ancient cover-up ploy that is in use to this day

Incest that involves the sexual abuse of a child by an adult family member is sadly far from rare. Exact figures elude researchers, but studies suggest that the incidence of incestuous child abuse is far too common in Western societies.15 “It is incest itself—and not the absence of incest—that has been universal… in most places at most times.”5

Perhaps the first report of father-daughter incest appears in the Bible in the book of Genesis19. The seducer this time, however, is not the father, Lot, whose wife had crystallised into a pillar of salt, but rather the daughters, who conspire to extract their father’s seed. Their unconventional manoeuvre, today it would be labelled “drug rape,” is implicitly and partially excused by the Bible by their desire to fulfil the first divine/evolutionary decree, procreation

[…]

And, one could argue that when Lot’s daughters plotted to “make our father drunk with wine” they probably already had a fair idea of how he behaved whendrunk and could count on the predictable, sexually explosive concoction of Lot mixed with alcohol. Also unlikely is the story of the double instant impregnation, with only one nightly contact for impregnating each daughter. Usually, sexual activity has to be repeated to achieve pregnancy, sometimes over many cycles. So it’s much more likely that these pregnancies were the result of repeated incestuous activity.

[…]

If it was Lot who abused his daughters, why not openly place the responsibility of the incest where it belongs rather than pinning the blame on his daughters? Sadly, the cover up ploy, which the ancient biblical narrators choose, is as familiar as the act of incest itself. Abusive men have been shamelessly mouthing excuses throughout the ages. “It wasn’t my fault; it was she who seduced me, walking around the house like that. Besides, I didn’t do it, I couldn’t have, I was too drunk.” Lot may be a notorious villain and a sordid weakling, but he is still the nephew of the patriarch, who was the progenitor of the nation, and hence the noble name and family honour must be preserved. The way out of this dilemma is to shift the blame on to the women. Seduction, according to the Bible, is in their nature anyway (see under the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden of Eden, where Eve is blamed for seducing Adam to commit the original sin).

4 Likes

Every time I start thinking the bible can’t possibly be any more vile some new depravity crops up that I missed. Of course it’s way more likely that the father raped his daughters instead of the other way around. The sheer mechanics make rape more a male thing. Even if men do get raped it’s other men doing the raping. The whole story stinks. An older man so drunk that he doesn’t even recognize his own daughters is a piss poor candidate for a baby making session.

Ummmm… I have a rolling pin up my butt. I have no opinion on this one.

:hugs:

And now the word requirements for posting that even mods can’t bypass.

And worst of all is that in the original, this is a story about beduin hospitality. “Sanctity of home” and guest protection in beduin tent.

You are welcome buddy. Once a smart man said " Make frends with Christians and stupid people and you will feel like jenius all the time".

For those who still doubt, this is for you.

@Kataclismic

I don’t think Eli will be coming back. He became very maniacal on the board and threatened violence, so David locked up his account.

This is one area in which I have to agree with you. (Please, try not to faint.) As I have said several times on this site and elsewhere, even IF the god of the bible was somehow shown to be real, there is no way I would worship it. Granted, I would no longer be an atheist, because at that point I would obviously believe it was real. Doesn’t mean I have to bow down to it and kiss its ass, though. Plus, IF that god was as described in the bible (all-knowing/all-powerful), then it would already KNOW EXACTLY WHY I FEEL THAT WAY. So it would be ridiculous for me to “pretend” to worship it. And there is absolutely nothing I could do to stop it from sending me to wherever it chooses. It really is just that simple.

1 Like

The idea of a “magic genie in the sky” is so preposterous that I can’t help being angry at anyone who is stupid enough to believe in one. Especially a magic genie that boasts about drowning the human race and threatens to burn us all alive unless we cower in fear before it and actually worship it!
But my anger is really not about their stupidity—because that’s not their fault.

What infuriates me is that they are so self-loathing, self delusional, self-gratifying, that they ALLOW themselves to be completely irrational and to abandon their humanity and respect for human rights. All they want is to get their lazy ass into a cushy, blissful “afterlife”.

These suckers are traitors to humanity. They really are. Just look at their centuries-long history, when they were in power. —>

Can you please stop repeating memes and photos and “stuff” on every fucking thread?

2 Likes

Old Man has reached the end of his rope. Andy. You are NOT scoring points around here. You really do need to slow your roll, and role. Do you have any idea at all how you appear to ‘rational’ and ‘reasonable’ atheists?

Why y’all bein’ so damn stubborn? Can’t you see that ol’ Andy is here out of the goodness of his heart to teach us all how to be True Atheists. And THIS is the thanks he gets? You ungrateful bastards. :triumph:

Cheese. I grated it, but now I must ungrate it? Great, just great.

2 Likes