New guy who believes in God

I am surprised I am answering this again. Apparently my first response did not post.

LOL Fill up? Ha ha ha ha ha ha … (density = mass/volume), Therefore, the layering of Earth is a result of gravitational pull. The densest layer (inner core) is at the center and the least dense layer (crust) is the outermost layer. Can you guess where water falls in this mix? Why do you think valleys are full of air? Now, there is the real enigma! And, what do you imagine is gluing all this oxygen to the rocks? Wow! So many mysteries.

Water is composed of Hydrogen and Oxygen, it is an emergent property of the combination of 2 hydrogen molecules and one molecule of oxygen. All hydrogen atoms were created about 380,000 years after the big bang . Oxygen was created much later in the nuclear furnaces of stars, towards the end of their life cycles.

Earth’s oxygen supply originated with cyanobacteria, tiny water-dwelling organisms that survive by photosynthesis. In that process, the bacteria convert carbon dioxide and water into organic carbon and free oxygen.

Model gives clearer idea of how oxygen came to dominate Earth’s atmosphere | UW News.

Is this supposed to be some sort of apologetic theistic gotcha? Science has some very good models of how all the elements were created.

1 Like

Again, did you have a school to attend as a child?

What part of “water molecules are present in abundance right across the universe” did you fail to learn?

Those protoplanetary discs I mentioned earlier … included in the material would have been cometary ices. Cometary ices loaded with water, albeit extremely frozen water.

Which, wait for it, would have been integrated into the early Earth via the same process of gravitational attraction that integrated all the other materials into the early Earth.

Do you spend your entire life demanding this level of spoon feeding from everyone around you?

4 Likes

You obviously do not understand the meaning of the terms you are using. Agnostic literally means, “Without knowledge”, and that means “I don’t know.” Most atheists are in fact agnostic - atheists. These terms are not mutually exclusive. Atheist literally means “Without a theology” or “Without a belief in god.” The atheist holds no belief in god. Atheism says nothing at all about delving into the multiverse, spirituality, simulation theory, new age garbage, UFO beliefs, or any other whimsical imaginations that are unsupported with solid evidence. Atheists are people who do not believe in the existence of God or gods. (Full Stop) Whatever else they bring to their lives is a personal matter. Unless of course they hop onto a public forum and begin spouting past lives Buddhist nonsense or begin making claims of spirit existence. While these are perfectly acceptable positions or beliefs for atheists to hold, most atheists are also skeptics to some degree. When ideas do not pass the sniff test, they just don’t seem to go very far without being challenged by most atheists. (Just something I have observed.) You my friend, do not understand the terms you are using.

How seriously can one take any claim that can’t differentiate between near death, and being dead. :roll_eyes:

Nope, just as before you took your sabbatical, what they are “reporting” are claims about dreams derived from brains starved of oxygen, but not dead of course.

Psychologist James Alcock has described the afterlife claims of NDE researchers as pseudoscientific. Alcock has written the spiritual or transcendental interpretation “is based on belief in search of data rather than observation in search of explanation.”

“Chris French has noted that “the survivalist approach does not appear to generate clear and testable hypotheses. Because of the vagueness and imprecision of the survivalist account, it can be made to explain any possible set of findings and is therefore unfalsifiable and unscientific.””

Don’t just Google what you want to believe…

FYI,these “reports” are not demonstrating anything that happens when one is dead, but rather what the a very much alive brain experiences when scientific knowledge is keeping someone alive, after their heart has stopped beating.

Wow, “some say” that do they… :smirk:

Subjective
adjective

1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Here’s something from the late Christopher Hitchens that nails it for me.

“NDE’s are not accounts of what happen to you after you die, they are (anecdotal) accounts of what you may experience whilst alive, thanks to life saving scientific innovations.”

:thinking:

It wasn’t, before asking questions, try Googling the big bang theory, then Googling how solar systems and planets are formed. Those two events are separated by 9.3 billion years.

Sigh, the earth didn’t form itself, see above.

Gravity, or did you mean how was water introduced to the planet? In that case, gravity.

Onto, not into, and the problem is not simplicity, your questions are beyond facile, the problem is that they are a) asinine in the extreme to anyone who understands the most basic scientific facts that explain them, and b) even were they unanswerable mysteries they would not in any way remotely evidence any deity, you are clumsily trying to use a known common logical fallacy, called an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy. I have linked it for you. Note the emboldened part in this quote:

“Argument from ignorance (from Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents “a lack of contrary evidence”), is a fallacy in informal logic.”

It is not a choice between natural or scientific explanations, and an unevidenced deity using inexplicable magic. Nor is this the first time you have used this fallacy, and been told about it. Here for example:

Or here:

Again here:

Note, no god is in any “equation” until sufficient objective evidence can be demonstrated it exists, or is even possible. What you’re describing already exists, the odds against it happening therefore must be irrelevant no? Like winning the lottery is astronomically unlikely, yet people win lotteries against those odds every day all over the world, so it must be inexplicable magic at play, your rationale not mine, for clarity.

You try ti use the same fallacy here again:

and here…

SInce I am just using up bandwidth now, I shall just point out that you have used this same logical fallacy relentlessly from your first visit, and HERE is a link to your posts for anyone who cares to check.

I don’t need to really go any further. Honestly, doesn’t this say it all? There is nothing in any of this that is not reliant on self-reported consensus. We previously talked about ‘consensus.’

Am I bored with this yet?

1 Like

It’s called near death because the people are clinically dead for a while and then receive resuscitation.

I don’t think you understand what it means to take DMT. There’s no sleep involved and no oxygen deprivation.

Exactly, so anecdotes about their experiences do not indicate we can experience anything after our brains die.

I didn’t mention DMT, or sleep? I was responding to your claims about NDE, and quoted Wikipedia in response to your own quote, and they absolutely involve oxygen deprivation if the heart has stopped.

Wikipedia reports that the oxygen deprivation explanatory model is supported by the reports of fighter pilots who experience unconsciousness due to g-force acceleration. However Wikipedia also reports

Also, hypoxic hallucinations are characterized by “distress and agitation” and this is very different from near-death experiences which subjects report as being pleasant.[14]

Lack of oxygen = bad hallucinations
Being dead = good hallucinations

However, it does indicate that experiences continue after brain activity has ended. In fact, the whole thing is just the soul escaping the body before the brain starts to decay. That is the objective of the soul (if it is to go to heaven).

Much the way that a stroke occurs after there is a restriction of blood flow to a portion of the brain, the end result of cardiac arrest is akin to a global stroke: once the heart stops beating, oxygen is cut off from all the body’s organs, including the brain, and within seconds, respiration stops and brain activity comes to a halt.

You can’t defend against the claim that people experience things after the ending of brain activity because people’s hearts and brains have been reactivated after clinical death and the people are coming back with exceptional stories to tell.

I would love to see evidence for that. Demonstrate you have a soul ratty. Show me one legitimate study that concludes a soul is actually an existent construct.

3 Likes

Well, when a person goes into cardiac arrest and brain activity comes to a halt, people who are subsequently brought “back to life” recount extended experiences beyond the time of death. As such experiences include existing outside of the body in a weightless state; going to the gates of heaven through a portal of light; and meeting other souls in that very same heaven it seems to me that you are under the pressure to demonstrate that the soul does not exist. My case is quite open and shut.

I can explain all of this quickly and easily, with two simple ideas. Sleep paralysis and phantom limb syndrome.

It is a well-known fact that when some people lose limbs, their brains continue to feel the limb; and their bodies react as if they have the limb, long after the limb is gone. This is exactly what happens in NDE and in OBE. The body shuts down. The brain, absent input from the body’s senses, creates the ‘astral body’ or ‘religious hallucination.’ The absence of sensation from the body creates serious integrity problems for the brain. It compensates by creating its own sensations. This also occurs in extreme cases of sensory deprivation.

Sensory deprivation or perceptual isolation is the deliberate reduction or removal of stimuli from one or more of the senses. Simple devices such as hoods (HINT: Buddhist Mindfulness Meditation) headgear and earmuffs can cut off sight and hearing, while more complex devices can also cut off the sense of smell, touch, taste, thermoception, and the ability to know which way is down. When I practice OBE I use earplugs.

Sensory deprivation has been used in various alternative medicines and in psychological experiments with an isolation tank. I was introduced to it through my dream culture studies and Zen practice. When deprived of sensation, the brain attempts to restore sensation in the form of “YOU GUESSED IT,” hallucinations](Hallucination - Wikipedia).

(Sensory deprivation - Wikipedia)

I can still do the OBE thing today. I do not believe any of this, OBE, NDE, or the rest is distinct from sensory deprivation. As for the drug experiences, they have their different causes. Mushroom hallucinations are not quite the same as experiences with OBE, however, I have done both at the same time. I met a character called “The Laughing Man” who took me on a little journey once. As I said, it is all brain states. I believe that completely at this point in my life. (This was not always the case.) I was probably once as fucked up as ratty. LOL.

2 Likes

One problem. We are dealing with clinically dead people whose hearts and brains have stopped functioning. These people, once resuscitated, report experience which extends into time beyond the point of death.

Possible. I’m quite fucked up. Not as much now as in my early to mid twenties. Imagine having a vice grip headache which is more of a “mind” ache than a real “pain” experienced in the brain. And imagine having that for four years.

Then fast forward to today where I’m regularly in cogent and intentional conversations with a being who, at all stages of judgment on my part, is superior in every imaginable manner to me.

I don’t have the luxury of “owing” a self identity. My self identity, at the best of times, is an allowance on the part of the being. Any “train of thought” I manage to produce is quickly put into perspective by the taunts and menacing torture of the superior being.

Which is probably why I enjoy writing on this forum. It gives me a sense of self where I’m otherwise overwhelmed by the presence of this being.

As far as “I” can tell, my agency in this body extends only to what I absorb through my senses along with volitional control of my appendages (all five of them - and even then I cannot control the fifth with any amount of regularity).

But your report of the “laughing man” should give you pause for thought. Are you able to clearly reason that this being was an extension of your drugged psyche (in spite of how idiosyncratic he may have been in both appearances and mannerism)?

I’m lost. What are you talking about?

2 Likes

The reality is that some people will succumb to death as a result of cardiac arrest. The facts show that brain activity comes to a halt soon after the heart stops providing blood flow to the brain.

These same people are resuscitated back from death. And those people report experiences which, if we are to believe these people, extend in time beyond the point of death.

These experiences include floating weightless above their body while sometimes observing doctors and paramedics in the process of life “reviving” procedures.

Besides the fact that the timeline for these experiences extend beyond the time of death, the content of the experiences have commonalities among those who die and are resuscitated.

Such commonalities include travelling to a heavenly realm through a portal of light and meeting with the souls of loved ones who have passed into death prior.

If we are to even allow for the existence of these experiences, we must explain how they are able to happen in spite of the heart and brain no longer beating or sending electrical impulses (respectively).

NOT DEAD. Brain-dead is brain-dead. There is absolutely no evidence that anyone can have any memory of anything, once the brain has stopped functioning. People regaining consciousness have a functioning brain. People whose hearts have stopped still have a functioning brain. People who have suffered a heart attack can describe events occurring to them while they are resuscitated. This is well documented. This suggests, while their heart may not be beating, their brain is alive, functioning, and aware of what is going on around them. This is true, even though they display none of the clinical signs of consciousness. (Nothing mystical, no soul, no magic, not even anything special. Just a body dying.)

FYI - From all we know " A patient cannot recover from brain death .
NEUROCRITICAL CARE SOCIETY
Q: Has anyone ever recovered from brain death?
A: No. Death is permanent. If anyone claims to have recovered from brain death, then the diagnosis
was incorrect.

And the refrigerator dore is closed, the curtains have been dropped, the open sign turned around, and all the crows have gotten the flock out of the field. Your story is 'OVER"

No one is resuscitated back from death. If they are dead, they are dead. They are resuscitated back from a heart attack or some event that has caused the heart to malfunction. (The heart does not stop during many heart attacks. It goes into a state of fibrillation.) Atrial fibrillation is a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate In this case the heart beats so fast that blood is not being pumped. This is when they use electric shock and “defibrillate” the heart. The heart is beating during many heart attacks.

NOW HERE IS A BIT OF NEWS FOR YOU… ‘SURPRISE’

Can You Use an AED on Someone with a Stopped Heart? The short answer to this is no. An AED can only be used on someone with a rapid heart rate . You cannot use it on victims with an extremely slow heart rhythm or those whose heart stops beating.

Please read something besides the wall in the bathroom where you take a dump.

2 Likes

If you were listening, you would not have asked the question.

People regaining consciousness have an inactive brain which is reactivated.

Sure. If you look at a guy in a coma who is literally brain dead, then we’re talking about brain cells which no longer have the capacity for brain activity.

However, a brain cell which is unable to activate is not the same as a brain cell which has stopped activating.

None the less, a brain which no longer transmits signals is not capable of generating experiences. And yet that is exactly the state of the brain in persons who have had cardiac arrest, accumulate memories and experiences 5, 10 minutes into this event, and then regain their brain activity when the heart is revived.

These people are wholly conscious in (or outside of you prefer) a body whose brain is NO LONGER ACTIVE (ie. no electrical activity; no gamma waves; no delta waves; naughta)

1 Like