New guy who believes in God

The actual evidence for the non-existence of your god thing is overwhelming. Absence of evidence (IS) evidence of absence when we expect empirical findings.

For example, You tell me that there is a cookie in the cupboard. I tell you that I do not believe you. How will we find out? We go to the cupboard and we look for the cookie.

Finding no cookie, we look for evidence of the cookie. We smell the air. We look for crumbs or traces. Is there a cookie plate? Are there any markings of any kind that would suggest a cookie was there? Each and every one of these non-discoveries is evidence that there was never a cookie in the cupboard.

Now you can make up post hoc rationalizations. “The cookie was invisible. The cookie was magic. The cookie was odorless. The cookie was stolen by Jesus.” Your excuses do not matter. The evidence is, that there was never a cookie in the closet.

The evidence for your god thing is no different. We have no reason to believe there was ever a cookie in the closet and no reason to believe your god thing was ever real or that it started the expansion of the universe.

5 Likes

Incorrect. What is the issue is that theists use such wording as “soul”, and even “god” and are incapable of offering a concise definition.

4 Likes

Hilarious because no one tells me what to think or say. I am an independent agent, and as long as I obey society’s laws, I answer to no one, including some dude floating on a cloud in the sky.

My snarky reply to your comment would be “theists are not allowed to say “I do not know”.”

2 Likes

YET …

2 Chronicles 15:12-13

12 And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, 13 but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.

History is rife with many examples of atheists being horribly murdered by theists just because they were atheists. I can not state that the reverse is not true, but I can not find or remember any examples.

The theist world declared war on atheists, and that is still going on.

2 Likes

I see a lot of comments here and you’re still not reading or understanding.
This makes me a bit sad and tired.

Cognostic, why are you such a moron?
This isn’t about the ability to dream, it’s about Language usage and staying true to your beliefs.
If you believe that God doesn’t exist and you believe that consciousness is a by-product of the brain then you can’t give me an opinion about what do dreams mean, because dreams are just a by-product of the material brain.
But I, on the other hand, can have meaning of dreams because I believe in things you don’t.
So you need to stay true to your beliefs just like I stay true to mine.
If you don’t then you’re an idiot.

Kelli the topic and evidence of Jesus Christ is a long topic where we’re going to go into tired old debates where your Key point as an atheist is that you won’t believe testimonies of others while believing your testimony of an event. Where I will ask questions such as : If you don’t believe others, then why believe when someone says “I’m in pain”? Why react at all? And then you guys being atheists are going to say “duh but we call a doctors so he can verify” and I’m going to say “no no you idiot we’re not even at the doctor phase yet. We’re at the first step:acknowledgment”.
But as I’ve said previously we’re not even there yet. I’m at the first step, the very first thought process in asking Why do we exist?
I explained this to gentleman from Serbia who so far seems like one of the few intelligent ones among you here.

Whitefire, if you bothered to read, I haven’t even gone to the steps of asking What or Who from the gods created the universe, although being a Christian I confess that The Holy Trinity Christian God created the universe.
But as I explained, God is eternal. God is simply a super powerful force or being at this point in discussion. We haven’t even identified him yet.
Also to answer your next question (because you didn’t read): why is god eternal?
Because Infinity (a modern mathematical and philosophical concept) is eternal.

TinMan, I like your posts. They make me laugh and in the humor you show critical thinking and intelligence. I think that I would enjoy talking to you.
You had 2 questions.

1. Do you believe your god is all-knowing (Omniscient), all-powerful (Omnipotent), and all-benevolent as described in the bible? Yes I do.
  2. What made your god? Nobody. God is infinite. Just like the multiverse theory says that we live in an Infinite numbers of universes which collide and create new Big Bangs. So God, is like the infinite concept in mathematics.
    TinMan I also read your post regarding your journey and unfortunately like many people you were indoctrinated since childhood with religion instead of truly seeking God.
    I, on the other hand was raised in an atheist family and my first walk into a church was when I was 15 years old.

MrDawn, I don’t think you’ve read a damn thing in here.
This makes me sad … and tired.

Calilasaia, I don’t think you’re able to read or understand. This makes me sad … and tired.

David_Killens, the claims of the universe coming from nothing are made by scientists who also delve into philosophy. Scientists who are agnostic. Scientists who aren’t atheist. There are various flavors here of what each group thinks and just like a religion with many denominations, “atheism” is also a church of many groups and my key points here are answers to the Whys and also understanding your (atheists) thought process.
You still haven’t understood my point entirely and you’ve shown me a video and your thoughts on Time after Big Bang not Before Big Bang.
And if you’re not allowed to ask what happened before, then you’re not allowed to participate in this discussion.
Then you give some dumb answers in relation to religious killings (all true) without even understanding my point. This DOES prove that you guys come from a factory.

There’s a lot to discuss here and as experience tells me, most of you are indoctrinated and unable to think clearly, and I’d like talk about things you’ve all mentioned here in different topics as time permits. But a lot of those topics are what I consider tired old topics and this is why my approach is different. I want to understand thought processes when we are faced with an unknown or a mystery. And if I have time to go through all the subjects, I am going to argue that things would be a lot better in being a mystery than being solved. But also, this is a fact because as I’ve said above, we will never know all the mysteries of the universe and existence.
Usually what happens (like in this topic) is that atheists are unable to live, act and speak according to the rigorousity of things they request from others and holding true to their beliefs and lifestyle.
But for now I’m going to open the first other topic which was the result of the interesting, honest and free-thinking discussion I had with the gentleman from Serbia.
The topic of “The consequences of a thought proven to be absolute true”

Can your god create a rock that your god can not lift?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. A claim of (for example a tooth ache) is not extraordinary, and since we know people can have tooth aches, it can be casually accepted. But pertaining to the god question, probably the biggest and most important question for mankind, more than personal testimony is definitely required.

Name just one respectable physicist who agrees that this universe came from nothing. FYI I could fill out a form on a web site and have a PhD in my hands in an hour. That does not make me a scientist. Reference a RESPECTED physicist.

Excuse me?

YOU DO NOT DICTATE WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS FORUM.

Fuck, another theist attempting to stifle free speech because it does not agree with what they are saying. When I combine this crap with the utterance that was said in the “Are the rumors true?” thread …

Suddenly I understand you, Eli, are intolerant and probably racist, one who came in here pretending to be full of love and compassion, but are not.

2 Likes

Now you’re just stooping to deflection and evasion tactics like every other theist we’ve had on here who likes to make up shit. You were asked to provide objective evidence for the existence of your deity. You haven’t. What objective evidence can you demonstrate for the existence of any deity?

It’s not that hard. Either you can or you cannot.

1 Like

Not any more. Eli has been banned for threatening physical violence.

2 Likes

Good. It just seemed that with every post he made, he got crazier and crazier. From what I’ve seen with his posts. There was no arguing with him. If @Cognostic wasn’t getting through to him, no one else here was going to.

Ha ha ha ha.

If I was “unable to read or understand”, I would not have been able to present the contents of highly technical scientific papers … or did this elementary concept elude you?

Though I notice you threw an entirely typical mythology fanboy hissy fit while waiting for a simple technical issue to be resolved. The rest of us just exercised patience.

Congratulations on demonstrating that you’re incapable of adult discourse.

4 Likes

When did I say that. Go back, read the posts and cite the source. You are proping up another straw man. I clearly told you that if you have any good evidence, I will believe. You have offered nothing but an assertion. “I don’t know, therefore god.” There is nothing imaginitive or creative about that. It is the end of creativity and the embracement of tradition. Creativity is in front of you in the great unknown, not in a stupic Iron Age mythological belief system.

Dreams are no more a byproduct of the brain than hearing is a byproduct of the ears or sight a byproduct of the eyes. Dreams are the way the brain works. They are generally agreed to be subjective expressions of emotional states. "Dream experience (DE) represents a fascinating condition linked to emotional processes and the human inner world.)

Why do you continue bashing your already flat head against the banana tree. We are in complete agreement. You believe your bullshit for no good reason at all. Thank you for sharing. It’s not my fault you want to kee sounding stupid. It’s your life.

2 Likes

And there is your problem. You ask stupid questions. This is called “begging the question.” Another fallacy. The word “why,” is an inquiry into purpose or reason for something to happen. What if there were no purpose or reason? What if you are simply the thing that emerged from the process accompyning the Big Bang. An emergent property of the Big Bang in the way hearing is an emergent property of ears. You do not get to attribute purpose or a reason to events that occur naturally. (Avoiding the equivocation fallacy you are sure to skip to, when I say “reason” I am not referencing causality, but rather, “a reason from some conscious being.” You do not get to ask why and then postulate a God until you have offered evidece for that god thing to actually exist.

Well, we have our firsst attribute,

I’d love to know how you came to that conclusion. Or are you just making another inane assertion. I’ll ignore the trinity bullshit for the purpose of STAYING FOCUSED on the fucking topic., Demonstrate that your god thing exists and share with us how in the f… you know he is eternal, a super powerful force.

God is eternal because infinity is eternal? Really? Are you that stupid? Can you demonstrate infinity is eternal? Infinity has not been measured in units or measurement. It is not a numbe of any kind. Perhaps you meant to say “Eternal.”

Why are you still ranting. No one has a problem with your illogically silly god belief. Most of the atheists on the site are in full agreement with you. You believe in your god thing for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL. If you had a good reason, we would have heard it by now. You don’t! We haven’t.

3 Likes

This guy is just a troll. A dishonest troll who does not want to actually discuss anything. He just want’s to make assertions and watch the reactions.

2 Likes

Which is THE fundamental problem with many theists.

The rational position is not to believe anything without sufficient evidence. Additionally, the proof must be proportional to the claim. That is the default. Eli has positioned himself where he claims he will change his position if god is proven not to exist.

4 Likes

Not just that. But ignoring demands for evidence when it’s asked of them on here. It’s always ignored and when they address the demand for evidence, they play dumb. “oh I uh, don’t know what kind of evidence you want or what evidence you’ll accept” and then they go into the old Creationism argument about how trees and the earth are evidence. Just one load of bullshit after the next. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Where did god come from?

Eli is no longer with us. Banished into the Netherworld where his digital soul with float around randomly for all eternity. It would seem his highly moral Christian values made him think he could make threats without consequences. Go figure… (shrugging shoulders)…

Anyway, to answer your question, our dearly departed Eli did provide me with an answer prior to his eviction. He told me, “God is eternal. He has ALWAYS been here.” I can’t imagine why he would lie about such a thing, so I’m guessing it must be true.

He thought he would be protected from being shafted. But alas his god did nothing to stop him from being smited by David. His god must have thought the lil shit deserved it.

laughing-mad-sweeney

1 Like

The Lord works in mysterious ways. :pray:

2 Likes

1 Like