Living Forever In Some Heaven

Is that like accepting the null hypothesis?

@anon14261619

Oh for fuck sake!

Science proves nothing. It presents theories based on that which is observed, measured and repeated. Science does not deal in superlatives.

Neither does science waste its time disproving anything. However, it may conclude that X claim (say the existence of god) is not supported by evidence.

Proofs are found in mathematics and a logical inference is sometimes called ‘a proof’. (which it is not)

2 Likes

Stop taking everything so seriously I didn’t mean to start this as a serious subject. As I was just being silly whith the what if question.

Science has not found one, but is still can not be completely ruled out.

I love your posts.

Sorry Fievel. Very hard for me to tell when you are being deliberately silly.

1 Like

boomer47Atheist
He is getting better, believe it or not. He just does not understand what an unfounded claim is yet.

Fievel, “Science has found no good evidence supporting the idea of a God.” (Be careful here because there IS evidence. Stories, heresy, personal testimony, etc… This IS all evidence. It is just not good evidence and it does not stand against critical inquiry.) When you make silly statements, an intelligent theist can always demonstrate that you are wrong. Instead of making so many absolute statements, learn to ask questions. Ask for “evidence” not “proof.” Yes, we all use the word proof and we use it incorrectly at times. Colloquially we tend to interchange it with evidence. However, if you are going to say something as definite as. “There is no proof for God.” or “Science can not prove God.” You should be more exact. “There is no good evidence supporting the idea of a God. By good, I mean evidence that can stand against critical inquiry.” and “Science has found no good evidence supporting the idea of God.” These are much more realistic and much more defensible positions. “There is evidence, it’s just not very good evidence.”

2 Likes

Yeah dont mind Cranky…he’s perpetually stoned… :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, and with real stones. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Okay will have to reread it sober sometime to have it sink in better. In simple stop mixing up proof with what evidence has to say about a god.

And yes as others said I am stoned currently.

If heaven had wild chicks who flashed their boobs, beer flowed like a river, joints appeared on pot plants that grew everywhere, and rock music blared, maybe it would be more appealing.

You can safely rule out impossible things.

2 Likes

@Cognostic

What @anon14261619 has cited is religious apologetics yet again using an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy. Nothing is proved or disproved through a lack of evidence, thus the sentence science can’t disprove god, is the very definition of that logical fallacy, it’s a meaningless statement, and if it’s being used as a premise to arrive at a conclusion of belief then it is also the very definition of irrational.

We’ve done this to death, usually with theists who get the right raving hump, when you explain atheism isn’t an irrational response to a lack of evidence because atheism does not claim a deity does not exist, unlike theism which is a belief and therefore the affirmation of a claim.

Breezy used to spend hours pretending this wasn’t true.

Whatever happened to Breezy, after he was banned from here I was sure he’d dedicate himself full time to publishing the flaws in evolution he insisted he’d discovered.

I keep checking to see if evolution has been falsified, and he’s won a Nobel prize, but bafflingly it’s not happened?

1 Like

Not to folks like Pat Robinson lol.

Yes like leprechauns faeries and angels.

I believe in the Easter Bunny. LOL.

Evolution is as close as we get to explaining our existence. The likelihood of it being a god of some sort are remote.

When it comes to death I can live with just not being anymore.

Yeah. Being dead is no biggie. Why should it be? We simply cease to exist , just as we did not exist for the aeons before were born.

BUT, dying tends to be an experience for most people. THAT terrifies me, as it does all all human beings and many other animals as far as I can tell… This fear is instinctive. In fact survival is our most powerful instinct. were it not it’s likely our species would have ceased to exist a long time ago, if indeed it ever evolved to our present state.

1 Like

Makes you wonder about suicide. It seems our base survival instinct can be overridden by the brain, is human ability to commit suicide unique to the animal kingdom?

1 Like

Well evolution is supported by all the objective evidence, so much so it long ago became an objective scientific fact. No one can demonstrate that a creator deity is even possible, so it’s irrational to offer any comment on how probable it is.

1 Like

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160705-many-animals-seem-to-kill-themselves-but-it-is-not-suicide

Depends on the culture.

Japan is a shame based rather than a guilt based society. Under the Shogunate and and before, honour and loyalty were everything, and are still more important than in our society.

A lord could traditionally order a vasal to commit seppuku***, or refuse permission for suicide.
Surrender in battle was considered shameful. A Samurai was expected to commit seppuku rather than surrender.

In modern times, THE big deal in Japanese education is high school, not a later degree. Children who have failed (both sexes) have committed suicide to apologise to their parents.

In western society suicides tend to be the result of a depressive illness. The person quite literally not of sound mind. Such people tend to be suffering severe mental pain. Suicide is not so much to end life , but is seen as the only available choice to end the pain.

I have not looked at assisted suicide or the less common suicide because of public disgrace

Yesterday I was watching a clip on Youtube about survivors of the Titanic. There was ONE Japanese passenger and he survived. When he got home, he was fired from his job for surviving.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Same in Korea. University students jump from buildings during finals week for fear of failing tests and shaming themselves and their families.

" Suicide is the fourth most common cause of death in South Korea; on average, 40 people commit suicide every day. South Korea has the highest suicide rate among the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) nations, which include countries such as Germany, the U.K., and Japan. It is the only OECD country whose suicide rates have increased since the 1990s. For years, social scientists have puzzled over why this economically successful state has such startlingly high suicide rates."

https://bpr.berkeley.edu/2017/10/31/the-scourge-of-south-korea-stress-and-suicide-in-korean-society/

If you look at the comment section, Kim made a comment about the article that is spot on. The article was true 20 years ago. High school students and Middle school students would stay at school and study until 11 or 12 o’clock at night. The went to school on Saturdays and had half day classes on Sundays. This is no longer the case. The school system is very much like the American school system now, with the exception of after school private academy s. Most students go to private academies after their regular classes.

Embarrassment over failure certainly plays a big role IMO.