Islamic love, tolerance, understanding in savage reprisals

From the religion of peace more tales of savage cruel attrocities. A young woman, an adulteress, received 100 lashes while her partner suffered just 15 after appealing against a punishment of 30 lashes.
Islamic Compassion
The insanity of this and all religions that focus on immediate punishments for perceived sins of disobeying their imaginary gods still offends the reasonable mind.
Rather than beating this woman cruelly how about talking with her to find out the underlying issues of her life that led to her taking a lover?
Instead of thrashing children senseless for misdemeanors against parents, why not encourage family solutions to internal problems?
Instead of chopping off the hands of thieves why not seek to understand the reasons for their need to steal? It could be remedied by arranging gainful employment which would now be rendered impossible by forceful amputation.
Why the impatience to see people punished unreasonably when their sadistic gods guarantee tremendous tortures and punishments in the afterlife?
Why cant these so-called spiritual leaders employ the deep wisdom and compassion they claim is sourced from their omnipotent gods? I see only the insecurities of control freak religious leaders who shield their doubts and fears and those of others behind draconian legislations that bring them comfort in their own deluded ‘piety’.
Peace but only if you do exactly what you are told under threat of immediate physical damage or death is not peace and it doesn’t seem to be working. Why do these punishments stubbornly persist for centuries? Its a failed system.
Instead of the vague notion of ‘love’, a little respect and dignity for our fellow human beings might be a better alternative, but then I am just a godless infidel with evil and heretical notions about the potential of mankind.
…edited to correct an error…

7 Likes

Is it possible this is how they justify that their god is both just and merciful?

The penalties are disproportionate to the offense, but hey, our god will reduce it a wee bit.

What! The WITCH took a lover? STONE HER TO DEATH! Make her eat bacon!

What? Reasons for thieves? All thieves have reasons. Reasons are like assholes, we all have them and they all stink. OFF WITH THEIR HEAES! AND THEIR OTHER HEADS TOO! (Oh … Hands. Okay. That works too.)

GOD - Can’t be unreasonable, it is not in his nature. You atheists. Sheeesh. When are you going to fucking learn. Respect and dignity are ‘Earned.’ You get it by being the biggest, bad boy god on the block. “Tremble before me and show me respect or fucking burn.” Now that is a god worthy of respect!

2 Likes

Meh. These laws and practices are nothing measured against Middle Assyrian laws. Islamic laws (and Christian laws, for that matter) would probably be felt as women’s liberation in comparison(*) (not that it excuses anything, they should be compared to other contemporary laws and practices instead of bronze age law). Here are a few samples of Assyrian laws:

If the wife of a man go out from her house and visit a man where he lives, and he have intercourse with her, knowing that she is a man’s wife, the man and also the woman they shall put to death.

If a man have intercourse with the wife of a man either in an inn or on the highway, knowing that she is a man’s wife, according as the man, whose wife she is, orders to be done, they shall do to the adulterer. If not knowing that she is a man’s wife he rapes her, the adulterer goes free. The man shall prosecute his wife, doing to her as he likes.

If a man have relations with the wife of a man at her wish, there is no penalty for that man. The man shall lay upon the woman, his wife, the penalty he wishes.

If a man divorce his wife, if he wish, he may give her something; if he does not wish, he need not give her anything. Empty shall she go out.

If the wives of a man, or the daughters of a man go out into the street, their heads are to be veiled. The prostitute is not to be veiled. Maidservants are not to veil themselves. Veiled harlots and maidservants shall have their garments seized and 50 blows inflicted on them and bitumen poured on their heads.

If a woman of her own accord drop that which is in her, they shall prosecute her, they shall convict her, they shall crucify her, they shall not bury her. If she die from dropping that which is in her, they shall crucify her, they shall not bury her.

Unless it is forbidden in the tablets, a man may strike his wife, pull her hair, her ear he may bruise or pierce. He commits no misdeed thereby.

(*) although somewhat inteded as sarcasm, there is a core of truth to this

This is why when it comes to religious people who talk to me about sinning or being punished for sins, I keep saying “Tell you what, if your God actually exists, I’m more than willing to let it punish me for my sins, but if you punish me, you tacitly admit that your God is nothing more than just another pathetic, non-existent, impotent, fictitious, petty ass piece of shit deity. if your God exists, it’s more than capable of executing judgement on its own. Do you really think God needs YOU to carry out its will? That would be like us humans demanding that amoebas worship us and carry out our will”.

1 Like

Bingo! This never ceases to amaze me. On one hand, the Christian/Muslim folks practically GLOAT about how all-powerful and all-knowing their god is. Then turn right around and tell how THEY have to defend their all-knowing/all-powerful god and punish those who offend their god and/or break the rules of their god. How and WHY the fuck would an omniscient/omnipotent god need a puny mortal human to defend it or carry out its punishments on other puny mortal humans? And the worst part is they are totally unaware of the contradicting irony of it all. Truly fascinating.

1 Like

It reminds me of that old joke about these religeous leaders where they decide how much they’re going to pay tribute to God and they say that they’re going to throw the money up in the air as an offering, and whatever God wants… he keeps.

2 Likes

You forgot about when they kill gay men.

LOL, Sin only exists if God exists. A sin is an act against god’s will. A transgression against divine Law. Someone has a burden of proof here.

The Abrahamic religions with their detailed laws and punishments have failed to understand that their gods need no help when it comes to destructive acts.

My contention is wouldn’t gods who proclaim to be sources of love and peace want us to dole out mercy and kindness and respect to fellow “fallen” humans? Corporal and capital punishments, whippings, amputations, blindings, burnings at the stake, hangings, throwing people off buildings (remember the gays) and cliffs seem to be no more than expressions of competing with gods that are theoretically already most competent at that sort of thing.
Gods are just emphatic “rules boys”. Do this, don’t do that, or else.
If you recall the ‘creator of the Universe’ could not build his own wooden floating zoo, craft his own Ark of the Covenant, stitch up the curtain of the Tabernacle, or even write, edit, redact or bind his own holy book and had to rely on his minions for all these labour-intensive activities, it suggests gods arent necessarily good with the manual arts.
It is not inconceivable that the real message the theists are missing could be that we need to do that which gods can not do directly in human affairs, in large part, confer compassion and forgiveness despite the rules in a show of that godly peace and love. Sure, be pious and follow the rules but show how much wisdom and integrity your god endows you with and back off on the punishments because all those things are already promised to be carried out after inevitable death and with far more detail than mere mortals can manage. Mortals cant injure the “immortal soul”, gods, pictured eagerly waiting on the other side of the veil, it is said, can.

If any god is so powerful as to be able to punish each and every one of us for every single minor and major infraction of their rules and laws committed in every second of each of our lives without error, it would be a mind-blowing piece of bureaucratic perfection. Humans have shown themselves totally unfit for that sort of activity, but they are perfectly capable of being merciful and kind. It is too easy to act like a god, much harder to act like a compassionate human being.
Gods and their fiats can just make people act like arseholes.

2 Likes

This is me being lazy by posting videos to explain why Islam is arguably not a religion of peace:

Their religion is bullshit. If Islam was the religion of peace, there would be peace in the Middle East. Not senseless war, murder, and rape.

First Video: Is Islam A Religion of Peace? If the guy says anything but “No.” I am all over his ass. Like a monkey after a banana balloon with a hole in it. (Islam is a religion of surrender. As long as everyone surrenders to the will of Allah, there will be peace. Aside from that… FUCK THE INFIDELS!) Muhammad is perfict, call him a pedo and we have to kill you…,. but we will kill you peacefully. Okay… the guy is sounding pretty realistic. It’s consistant with all I have read. And his conclusion matches my first assertion. I give the man a 'Thumbs Up!" I’ll just assume the other two videos are similar. I have watched a lot of these when I was younger. It’s all old hat now. One video was enough of a refresher course.

Tolerance is a basic principle of Islam. It is a religious moral duty . It does not mean “concession, condescension or indulgence.” It does not mean lack of principles, or lack of seriousness about one’s principles. Sometimes it is said, “people are tolerant of things that they do not care about. Tolerance without greater acceptance indicates a sense of conditioned approval. However, the Quran views the tolerance as an important starting point in establishing greater peace . The Quran seeks to establish peace between various religious communities and acknowledges differences of belief and cultures.

Welcome @Gracepil962

I hope you enjoy your time on the board.

Your post reminds me of this:

Too bad that for Islam, just like with Christians, it’s not practiced - ESPECIALLY where it could be observed internationally.

BTW the idea of “tolerance” as described here:

is apart of what contributed to our species survival. Co-operation with other tribes for trade, exchange of ideas and genetic diversity.

Today, “tolerance” is apart of democratic systems for human equality. The older god books/writings may contain some BUT their overall messaging is not very tolerant (as their god is not very tolerant) no equal rights, discrimination, slavery, female property and death to any who don’t believe as their god prescribes.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … Oh hell, I laughed so hard I started leaking monkey shit. Islam also doesn’t mean “rationality, insights, or sanity.”

THE GOOD STUFF BEGINS AT 2:30 (The Islamic Peace Conference in Norway. Normal, Everyday, Muslims.) This is not an Islamic country. … Well… Not yet…

Extreme radical views my ass. That’s a bald face lie. They just sat there and all agreed that it’s okay to treat their women like shit because they’re not equal to them. What disgusts me is that they’re okay with abusing women because the Quran said so. I can’t believe anyone supports this bullshit religion. It’s worse than Christianity.

1 Like

It’s actually the same as Christianity. Christianity has simply been dragged kicking and screaming into modern morality. If the Christians had their way, women would still be men’s property. (Ahhhheeemmm… This, confidentially is why I keep trying to get White to convert to Christianity. I am working subliminally on her with every post I make.

In the Ten Commandments, the wife is property: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife,… Numbers 5:12-28

“Wives…do not adorn yourselves outwardly by braiding your hair, and by wearing gold ornaments or fine clothing; rather, let your adornment be the inner self with the lasting beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit… It was in this way long ago that the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves by accepting the authority of their husbands. Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord.” Revelation 14:1-4

1 Timothy 2:11-15 KJV

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1 Corinthians 14:33-35 KJV

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Proverbs 11:16 KJV

A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong men retain riches.

1 Corinthians 11:3-16 KJV

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man;

Colossians 3:18 KJV

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

Titus 2:4-5 KJV

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

1 Peter 3:1-6 KJV

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands;

Ephesians 5:21-32 KJV##

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church:…’

1 Timothy 2:9-15 KJV

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

Proverbs 12:4 KJV

A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.

Genesis 3:16 KJV

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Thanks Cog, if I ever want to hyperventilate I’ll just reread those verses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .
I think it’s true that if you go back some 600 years, about how much older christianity is than islam, you’d find that christianity openly had much the same attitudes toward women that islam has now. Women as second class citizens and property. It hasn’t exactly gone away, but it must be tiresome to oppress half the human race and eventually inroads get made :slightly_smiling_face: . I can only hope it’s the natural progression of things for women to gain ground since by every projection I’ve seen islam is growing and will over take christianity as the world’s most dominant religion in the not too distant future.

2 Likes