In defence of hedonism

Iā€™m not sure we need the hypothetical of sex here, itā€™s far easier and makes things far clearer to say that low self esteem can be harmful in a number of ways.

Iā€™m not sure if that is just poor wording, but Iā€™d say that whilst it is true people can recognize and correct personal flaws, itā€™s certainly not always the case. Perhaps Iā€™ve just misunderstood the context of the original quote.

As Whitefire has pointed out, using words like soul and spiritual, that have obvious religious connotations, makes it harder to understand exactly what youā€™re saying.

If you mean actions give our lives meaning, then just say precisely that, donā€™t use words and phrases that have other meanings.

Low self esteem can cause some people to sometimes make bad choices, this might include their choice of sexual partners. However choosing to be promiscuous with random partners one has no emotional attachment to, need not in itself mean that one has low self esteem. So as I said, the original quote was a poor choice, either because it was poorly worded in the first place, or because the original qualifying context is lost here.

If you use generalisations in a claim assertion or argument, then itā€™s often wise to take care to qualify such remarks, so that they cannot be misinterpreted.

I tend to avoid words and phrases that have or are open to religious interpretation, or I make sure to qualify exactly what o mean.

Weā€™ve all seen theists on here present wishy washy claims for a deity, by trying to claim their deity is defined as something else, that we have objective evidence for, god is love, god is energy, God is everything etc etcā€¦ These are not clever compelling arguments, theyā€™re meaningless sophistry.

One last point, this is a debate forum, so expect your posts to be scrutinised and occasionally disagreed with, itā€™s not personal.

:wink:

No, it really doesnā€™t, though that may be what you meant when you used it.

I donā€™t even know what a subconscious philosophy is? It reads to me like woo woo. Can you explain in detail what is is, and demonstrate some objective evidence for it?

Logic is merely a method of reasoning based on strict principles of validation.

Science requires objective empirical evidence as part of its methodology. Scientific ideas should be logically consistent, but that alone is not enough. Iā€™ve seen many logically consistent arguments that are risible.

Descartes stripped back all reason and philosophy to a single concise statement he felt reflected the reality of human existence in a way that was a compelling base for all else. If that statement has been refuted then Iā€™d love to hear about it.

Could you give some examples of contradicting truths, so I can better understand what you mean please?

Why do you keep announcing your departure like that? Anyone is free to come and go as they please, and to post or not as they are minded to.

This sentence bothers me, as again it seems to be making a sweeping generalisation. I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but my values are far more complex than a choice of sexual partner.

Again this seems to be an absolute, may well not, or may often fail to, would be better. Low self esteem does not necessarily mean one will make bad choices for sexual partners. For a start I donā€™t think weā€™re describing a binary condition, but rather one extreme.

I think it is silly to assume everyone feels the same way? Also itā€™s not clear what you mean, as the first part seems to contradict the second?

Meaningless at the moment might boost my self esteem, though Iā€™m not actively seeking it.

Perhaps you ought to preface these claims as your own subjective beliefs, rather than as if theyā€™re axiomatic.

I donā€™t believe any such needs exist tbh, since there is no evidence anything beyond the physical exists, could you demonstrate some objective evidence for anything spiritual?

No, it is to get your rocks off. No more, no less.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Also agree, for the most part.

What are your guys thoughts on the necessity of ā€œprivately.ā€ And also what are your guys thoughts on requirement of clothes, sometimes by law?

Why does sex have to be done in private? What harm is there in sex done non privately, like out in the open? Too distracting? Could start an orgy?

To the clothes thing: is showing of ā€œmore skinā€ and especially of the sex organs, actually harmful? Why?

I can think of a few vague, weak answers to why on both, but to me, I feel more then anything this is a culture thing that is heavily influenced by ancient organized religion.

Is it persecution done to us by religions that by law I cannot skip the annoying wet bathing suit when I jump into a lake?

I have the day off, I consumed my legal drug of choice, burning questions while I am under the influence!

Ha ha ha ha hahaha ā€¦ rocks offā€¦ You mean ā€œrockets.ā€ Rocks just sit there. My rocks, Bob and Harry, have not moved in a decade. They just sit there beneath the tree. What are they going to get off of? The dirt? I wish I had a rocket so I could get it off!

I realize I misinterpreted what you wrote. Your sentence structure is a bit confusing and hard to follow. I am guessing english is not your first language?

Thanks for clearing that up.

So let me fix an earlier statement you made to your more precise definition.

To:
the effect of having sex just for pleasure is low esteem, but not the cause of low self esteem.

You unfortunately slipped a ā€œsheā€ in your overall original statement, Tabooscientist, so translating it to make sense of what you wrote in my head comes off as a very rude and frankly misogynistic to me:
"If a woman has sex just for pleasure, she will be regarded by society poorly (ā€œlow esteemā€), but her having sex for pleasure will not be the cause of the womanā€™s low self esteem.

Then you just left at that. An unfinished thought, what is the cause of the womanā€™s low self esteem then? I imagine a lot of readers will presume you meant: ā€œher low self esteem is because she has sex for pleasure.ā€

Today is my day off and I got some real good, fresh flower. I am hoping I am just misinterpreting what you are trying to convey.

Iā€™m sure it may be with some males and females.

My assessment has always been that promiscuity is adolescent behaviour. In truth; perhaps, perhaps not. I have no way of proving such a claim. In the end itā€™s simply a facile generalisation.

Oh, I read, learned some time ago, that woman with bipolar disorder will often fuck anything not nailed down.

1 Like

My apartment balcony (5th floor) looks out directly over a school. One must consider such things as protecting children from exposure to purely adult themes and activities. That consideration is always at the forefront of my decisions because of that school.

When I was a baby civil servant, I had a heated exchange with the personnel officer. I argued that the department had no right to tell me or anyone else to get a haircut, unless it was to comply with safety standards. Still had to get a haircut. There was a bloke who had shoulder length hair. He kept it tucked into his shirt at the colour

Was as a time I would eschew clothing in the summer at home. Stopped doing that some years ago. I donā€™t like to look down on the unemployed.

Adelaide has its very own nudist beach, about 20 miles down the coast. Iā€™ve never been. I prefer not to air my shortcomings in public.

FYI, when someone new posts here and has atheist next to their name, and immediately starts using religious phrases like soul, and spiritual in their claims, I become very suspicious.

Perhaps Iā€™m just being slightly paranoid.

FYI, as far as sex goes, as long as no one is being harmed, forced, coerced or exploited, then what consenting adults do to each other is entirely their own business. The idea sex must conform to anyone elseā€™s set criteria is absurdly stupid. Nor do I care what anyone thinks nature intended, else Iā€™d not be using a pc or phone to discuss it on the fucking internet would I. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I am of the same opinion. The name implies the ability to deal with taboos, and supports science. But frequently within this personā€™s post are theistic references and positions. IMO this person is a troll, posturing as an atheist but actually a dishonest theist.

3 Likes

Again a generalizationā€¦ my best friend has bipolar and she only has sex once sheā€™s in a relationship. She enjoys the emotional attachment. Myself, I donā€™t have bipolar, (I donā€™t just fuck anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, mind you, it may be debatable given my attraction to Cog) BUT I donā€™t require the ā€œemotional attachmentā€ part - just the physical attraction part; and Iā€™m quite capable of separating a ā€œsex actā€ from ā€œa relationshipā€ā€¦

Agreed. There are private nude beaches. Or a person can skinny dip when no one is around.
Sex outside can be fun, again ā€œthe idea of being seenā€ BUT in reality, hiding out of obvious sight.

I would not appreciate taking my boys grocery shopping and being exposed to some asshole not wearing clothes while getting milk,
OR running into a sex act being performed in isle 2.

Poor Cog: Iā€™m always emotional. If you make it to the bedroom, I am in love with you, at least for the night. Love is like that sometimesā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m a true believer in loving the one youā€™re with :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: