In defence of hedonism

thanks for reitiring my statement.

Then next time use the right word - love :heart:. So you like sex only when you feel love for that person and feel it is returned. Big deal. Doesnā€™t give you a right to start judging others by your particular sexual needs or requirements.

If you understood what I am saying youā€™d realize Iā€™m not. If we were not a species which " is a self made soul" and were just animals which function on precepts you would understand that a person behavior is a self estimate of himself and life.

Re-iterateā€¦typically for emphasis or clarity. Unless you meant I repeated what you postedā€¦

:thinking: think notā€¦

I quit using this debate room, it was nice meeting everyone acquaintance,tali ho

Nope. Donā€™t have a fucking clue what you are talking about. Nadda - none.

ā€œSelf-made soulā€??? WTF.

I would view it as: We, (me) give our life meaning. We (me) attach meaning to ā€œneutralā€ things or actions. These actions result in positive or negative ā€œresultsā€ (how it personally effects you).

A personā€™s behaviour can be driven by their personal thoughts or influenced by societal ā€œstandardsā€.

1 Like

Hahahaha :rofl:. FUCK!!! Hahahaha. Jesus fuckinā€™Christ and I didnā€™t even get into ā€œdebateā€

:notes: duh duh duh :notes:
another one bites the dust

self made soul= deciding meaning

i will quit after this message, I dont think you know what i mean by self made soul. Because we have free will, we decide who we are, and this is the actual measurement of how ones sexual behavior can ultimately be deduced. Self made soul means a person conscious philosophy or subconcious one. And I am not going to explain what a philosophy is, but to give a brief explanation of it, its how you asses existence, and a lot is determined by that.

Yahā€¦ ??? andā€¦

Oops :grimacing: now its a different meaningā€¦

How can you have a ā€œsub-consciousā€ philosophy???

Philosophy is mind-candy.

Philosophy is a system of ideas, ideas you use to make choices or believe things in life. If you do what everyone else does in society and when asked why and you answer ā€œthats just how life isā€ . your subconscious belief is imititating the people of your environment and upbringing, and only being able to communicate with people who have the same concrete lifestyle and your upbringing, usally because of blanking out in thinking.

so when you think and know why you are alive and your purpose in the world, you hold philosophy consciously.

Philosophy is the science which integrates existance and mans relationship with existence.

ā€¦ok ā€¦

You might. I donā€™t. I make choices based on evidence, past experience, current information, etc to make the best decision possible under whatever my current circumstance is.

I donā€™t ā€œbelieveā€ in things ā€œin lifeā€ ā€¦ I have ā€œconfidence levelsā€.

No. You have conscious ā€œreasonsā€. For example, ā€œmy mom told me soā€ OR ā€œitā€™s the lawā€. It may not be good reasons, or you may not have looked further into the issue, BUT they are still conscious reasons. Some boil it down to ā€œbecause god saysā€¦ā€

YOUR acceptance of beliefs handed down to you by others in your environment creates a form of cohesion, family bonds and tribe. Nothing subconscious about it.

Now it may be used in this way ā€¦ sub-conscious: the part of the mind of which one is not fully aware but which influences oneā€™s actions and feelings.

So having a fear of spiders :spider:??? Not knowing or remembering why???

I donā€™t know how convinced I am that there even is a ā€œsub-consciousā€ mind - but Iā€™m not a psychiatrist or physiologist.

I know what philosophy is - it isnā€™t a ā€œscienceā€

• but it is theoretical. It can be a ā€œdisciplineā€ (a specific philosophy) that some people buy into. A way of thinking.

Andā€¦???

I donā€™t require it to give or attribute meaning to my own life.

Philosophy can be fun mind candy, but often delves into the realm of fantasy, imaginationā€¦

Tell me some thing, how do you determine the criteria for whats evidence? Logic ? I do believe so. So if you think in terms of logic then , that is a philosophical premise. meaning you think reality is real, and you dont believe the world can have to contradicting truths. im done goodbye

When I was in my teens, I was a devout catholic doing my best to ā€˜live the apostolateā€™ .Thought I knew all about agape. I knew nothing. Today Iā€™m an atheist, and am unable to believe in the spiritual .

When I was 20, and in love for the first time, I thought I knew everything about eros. I knew nothing. I have only ever had sex with women for whom I felt deep affection.

When I was 50 I thought I knew all about philia. I knew nothing. I Iearned that one needs to be a friend to have a friend. I learned that for me the word ā€˜friendā€™ is very close the word ā€˜brother/sister.ā€™ Throughout my life I have almost always had at least one friend.

Never had children, so I have never experienced storge .

Have never managed philautia. I have found being compassionate to oneā€™s self exceedingly difficult.

Have done reasonably well with Xenia

That which I value most in life is to love and to feel loved. (I say to feel loved rather than to be loved because Iā€™ve never been able to read minds)

2 Likes

Philosophy is NOT a science.

2 Likes

If you are meaningless without it, is it, in fact, meaningless to you? The person engaged in this sex act is attempting to gain acceptance and self worth through sex.

Is there such a thing as a meaningless sex act? Not sure? The person engaged in the sex act with an individual suffering from low self esteem may be attempting to enhance his or her own sense of power or esteem. If not, why choose such a person for a sex partner? Perhaps it is out of a need for affection or a sense of being alone? Whatever the reason, can we call it meaningless?

If I am honest with myself, I donā€™t think I have ever engaged in a sex act that was meaningless. I have certainly been hedonistic! I have certainly put my desires first. Andā€¦ I have certainly had the same done to me. People have sex for reasons.

Different criteria of evidence for varying degrees for the claim.

You say you had breakfast. OK. My criteria may be ā€œjust your wordā€. After all, people eat. I eat breakfast. If youā€™re lying, it doesnā€™t effect me in any way.

You say we ā€œare a brain in a vatā€. Well, thatā€™s quite a claim (even philosophical). My environment, reality, regardless of whether YOU have a convincing logical argument, letā€™s me know that it really doesnā€™t ā€œmatterā€ in my day-to-day life. For example, I would still need to eat food regardless of whether Iā€™m just a brain :brain: because that is obviously how this is ā€œfedā€ into my senses.

If a person ā€œbelievesā€ in god and creation - again, quite the claim. My level for convincing requires evidence (demonstrable) for this because it usually requires a host of ā€œlife changesā€ (eg. Donā€™t eat pork).

Varying degrees.

The scientific method has been used to move mankind forward in all areas of life and has very real personal results.

Do you?

What ā€œworldā€?

Physical reality holds a host of paradoxes. The Quantum reality has been demonstrated to have ā€œeffectā€ occur before ā€œcauseā€. Obviously :roll_eyes: you donā€™t ā€œknowā€ me and it is arrogant folly to tell me ā€œwhat I do and do not believeā€ā€¦

1 Like

The world certainly has contradicting truths. Is what you are offering a truth? What evidence do you have for that truth?

Both Newtonian Gravity and Einstein Gravity are true. Both theories have proved to be successful in describing gravity and both are completely different.

Is anything your offering as ā€œtruthā€ as predictable, measurable, and reliable as the two theories of gravity?

I play hockey for fun. I do not have to have any love or emotional attachment to anyone (on my team, the opponets, the referees, or spectators) to enjoy the sport. That statement could apply to playing chess, racing, or sex.

Just because two or more people decide to participate (in mutual consent and privately) in an activity that gives them pleasure, that is all it is. Fun. Notwithstanding procreation, sex is fun, it is not holy or special, it is just fun.

Some people are so judgemental, sex has to be conducted under certain sets of parameters and rules, or it is ā€œwrongā€.

1 Like

So the meaning is fun. Sounds good to me!