How to deal with a 100% Christian family

I have a family who is half Mormon, half …mega Christian. For years I have been informed that I am not allowed to speak about Anything that goes against their belief systems. This includes such bizarre things as not being able to mention once living in North Dakota or anything about my life there because it will remind my daughters husband that my daughter had a boyfriend before him. I can’t even say the words “ North Dakota “.
I am disabled and to a point I will have to live with one of my children. Because of their kids… I can’t mention science, I can’t watch documentaries, I can’t mention my life in mesick Michigan or North Dakota, and I can’t say anything about wearing masks because they think covid is a conspiracy. Because I don’t agree, they think I have dementia.
Soon, I will either be homeless, or I will be censored and in fear of their wrath the rest of my days, I think I prefer homelessness.
How do I deal with this ? How have you dealt with it amongst your family ? I’m not pushing atheism on them. I just want the freedom to be me.

3 Likes

Welcome… first off, it sounds like you’re in a very controlled environment. Regardless of religion, or different belief systems (or non belief), what you described here does not sound healthy.

My advice, since you have access to the internet and phone (?) is to google agencies (govt and perhaps secular charities that deal with seniors and those disabled). I am sure there are programs, homes and protective measures they can take on your behalf.

Elder abuse is a serious issue and although you may fear losing family in this process or being alone, neither should come at the cost you’ve described. Especially when it comes to your health and their attitude towards a potential exposure to Covid.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

We do have a number of very Christian people in our family. But there are also a number of others who are not. We also have a different power dynamic. We are a strong willed bunch to say the least, so if they say something crazy, I will go out of my way to point it out. They can believe what they want, but I’ve put family members on notice that if they want to be around my kid, they are not to try to indoctrinate.

Unfortunately, you have a very different situation. If your family members do not think covid is real, your life literally may be in danger if they catch it and don’t care to try to contain it. If they do not respect you, your health, and/or your beliefs, separating yourself from the situation may be best.

You cannot talk sense into somebody who doesn’t want to learn or care.

3 Likes

I have patented my idea for dealing with the 100% Christian family. Once I share it with you, you are fiscally obligated to send me $50.00. The fact that you have posted a request for help IS our contract.

So here it is… The best way to deal with a 100% Christian family. And the final result of my life experience which encompass over a century of finely detailed research.

La, la, la, I can't hear you!

1 Like

You are being you. This is who you are in this situation. Aren’t you really saying that you want to be different than you are? The situation sounds abusive. Do you qualify for a Guardian Ad-litum?

The Guardian Ad-litum is a person appointed by the courts to protect your interests.

Honestly, this is not a question of theism or atheism, but rather, one of survival from the way you have described it. You need someone in your corner. You probably need to contact social services.

2 Likes

freedom is priceless. I am going to join a homeless club soon I guess, because my family and community are Muslim and I cant stand to stay around people that force me to pretend all the time and live a bullshit lifestyle. I have one life so I wont waste it in a place that I don’t belong to.

2 Likes

Good for you! I am excited for you and the positive steps you are taking for yourself!!! :hugs:

1 Like

Well done, that takes courage, but it is worth it. I like this quote:

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you’ll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

It is apparently from Rudyard Kipling, and when I feel I am alone, I sometimes read that quote, and remind myself that sometimes that is important to be alone, and that all through human history others have felt this way.

I’m sure things will work out for you and a much better life is waiting.

1 Like

I have a friend who is in a horrible marriage with a bipolar monster. He lives in fear of walking into the house each day after work. “What can I do he complains.”

You can honor yourself for hanging in there. You can pat yourself on the back for being the daddy you always wanted to be (He has a little girl). You can endure and endure and endure until you can’t endure any more. And when it is time to change, you will know it.,

You will walk away with a clear conscious. You will know how long you have endured. You will know how many times you held your tongue or tried to make things work out. You will know you have given your all and have finally reached a point where you have no more to give. And then, you will pat yourself on the back for having the strength and courage to make the leap into the unknown. You will know exactly why you made the leap. And you will go on to meet new challenges and new difficulties because one of the things we get to choose in this life is the nature of our problems.

No one can promise you a better life. But it will be a different life.

2 Likes

OMG Cog - well said!!! Yes yes yes … now your reward…

I love boobies. If I had my own I would stay home and play with them all day. I once bought boobies for a girlfriend but never gave them to her. Instead I put them in pillow cases and slept on them until they broke. Yep, probably why I am still single.

1 Like

Bollocks.

Perhaps I’m getting too old for idealism.

There’s a plethora of aphorisms and books glorifying and romanticising the stoic life and heroic death. It’s the kind of bullshit cynical old men have used and still use to get gormless young men to go to war.

Today there is no philosophy, nor any ideal nor person for whom I am willing to die.

Right now, there is nothing more precious than my life, which I value and savor every day.

I concede I might have some different ideas if I had children. But I don’t so I don’t. :face_with_monocle:

Not sure how that quote ecourages anyone do do anything, except be themselves.

I guess the language indulges the poetic, and I happen to like that, but each to their own.

AND

Most like a misread… CRANKY needs glasses :nerd_face: CRANKY needs glasses :eyeglasses: :notes:

skipping and taunting and laughing

Yes, you cheeky madam, possibly a misread. I may have misunderstood what he meant by ‘owning yourself’ . I interpreted it along these lines. From the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley:

"It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul."

See link for full poem.

To that I say bollocks, because it alludes to the illusion we often have of being in control of our lives----AND at times, we also form the quaint motion that life has meaning or purpose.

I almost mooned my 32 inch computer monitor, but decided that would be vulgar so I fucking didn’t. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oh, Cranky has been wearing glasses for over 35 years. Coincidentally, I had my annual eye checkup yesterday. There is some concern that my diabetes may be effecting my eye sight. Because I catatrophise everything, I’m freaking.picture a 160 pound headless chook. (chicken)

1 Like

Well unlike religious texts, I don’t have a problem with poems being subjectively interpreted. In fact that’s part of the pleasure.

The way I read the Kipling quote, is that it is a very hard and often frightening and lonely experience to think for yourself, and all too often we get swallowed up by group thinking. There is actually some credible peer reviewed research to support the last part. The idea that anyone or anything can know our every thought, let alone control them, is one of the most terrifying ideas I’ve encountered. I can’t think of Orwell’s dystopian classic without a shudder. Though in real life the totalitarianism he railed against tried to do precisely that, control the way people thought. As do all religions of course.

I love poetry and metaphors and a good analogy and personification in literature … speaks to me.

Oh, and a good romantic serenade …

[quote=“Sheldon, post:16, topic:279”]
of cours

*Throat clearing sounds. La la la la la la up and down the scale… More throat clearing.

There was a young lady named Candy
Who once consumed too much brandy
Then she got funky
And tied up a monkey
And waggled her tits in his fanny.

Then she beat him with a rolling pin and left him craving for more.

Hey,

HOW the FUCK is making me JEALOUS with strippers names “Candy” gonna work??? Huh huh???

OH I know!!! You got me riled up before (angry sex) - now you’re flaunting some paid tart in my face WITH a ROLLING PIN to boot!!!

You looking for some “claim my monkey man -
OUT preform the whore-slut pole dancer???”

You got it babe - meet me in your bathroom :kissing_heart:

Can I bring my rubber duck this time?