How many genders are there?

Thankyou Calli.

I was getting to the point of replying to some of the monochrome comments on this page…but as usual, bugles blaring, the 7th Intelligentsia Regiment of Reason and Research come riding to the rescue with Calli at their head!

Thanks mate. This has been saved and will be reread several times before deployment to the amazement of the unwashed and dogmatic.

Ah. You mean like racism? Lots of luck. We human beings can’t help ourselves. We love to put people into boxes and we love to judge others. I think that’s a massive ‘should’. I guess we can dream.

Racism will have gone when we see the person first, rather than a black white, brown, peuce or candy striped person.

Because of the possible reproductive/evolutionary implications, will we ever reach the point of seeing the person first, and then their gender?

I’m a long way from that. I still see women as attractive or un.

Recently, I’ve been saying things to myself like " Hold the phone the buckeroo. She could easily be one of your old girlfriends"

It’s always seemed to me that if you lived with a person for decades, you wouldn’t notice them aging, nor hopefully would they notice you aging.

I was only married for 12 years. Herself still looked just fine to me when she left.

Perhaps more interesting is my last crush. I was 63, she was 52. Hadn’t seen her for a decade, and she still looked fabulous.

Unfortunately: I agree with that statement 100% as well. We are all bigoted assholes. Judgmental to the core. (Speaking for myself of course.)

My opinion:

All living things have two imperatives, imprinted inside their genetic makeup, and that is to survive and procreate. Take a male when he casts his eyes on a female, and he is programmed to decide whether the female would make a good mother. And there are certain obvious physical attributes. A healthy body, firm muscles, clear skin, wide hips for childbirth, and decently-sized breasts.

And a huge fucking rolling pin!

1 Like

1 Like

IS that one of those implements into which one inserts rocks? Or is it just made of some solid material such as cement? Be a great pacifier. :innocent:

I’ve already fallen for that trap. Aint gonna happen twice! Nice to see how clean you got that rolling pin though. I never thought it woud look that good again.

The word “fucking” in there would ordinarily be funny, but has connotations that sent a slight chill down my spine…

:hushed::thinking::hushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

As if transgenderism isn’t controversial enough, how about trans-speciesism? Where people self-identify as members of another, non-human species, including mythological ones?

As Hunter S. Thompson used to say, when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I will admit that the only reason I started this thread was to see how many crazy, bat-shit answers it would generate. There were quite a few different opinions, and plenty of insults going back and forth. There were the usual insults to my intelligence and political leanings, and those don’t bother me. Regardless of what I say or how I say something, nothing is meant to be personal. Like the relationship between my wife and I, and it took years to get to this point, we have agreed to disagree on the subject of religion.
This forum gives us all the chance to state what our opinions are on virtually any topic we would like to discuss, and the subject matter can get very “heavy”, or it can be meant as a joke, it always varies.
I try to read all of the responses on every new topic that comes up. There are some very intelligent people on this forum, and the subject matter can get really “deep” sometimes, and then I just check out.
The one thing we all have in common is our lack of beliefs in any god/gods. Organized religion will always be trying to dictate everyone into believing in their god, and forcing us to live our lives for their god/gods, not for ourselves.
I’m just trying to live what’s left of my life on my own terms, but as I get older, it’s getting harder and harder. My physical and mental health are becoming more of an issue, right now I’m living on 9 prescription drugs, and sometimes I don’t feel like any of them are helping in any way. The only way to find out is to stop taking them, and on the couple of occasions that I’ve done that, the results weren’t good.
Long story short, I have different views on several subjects that come up, and nothing I say is meant to be personal, and I don’t take anything on this forum personally. I visit this forum daily to see if any new subjects have come up that are interesting, and if not, I have other things to do with my life. As Spock used to say “live long and prosper”.

We have that in common. Except I know the psychotropic drugs I take keep me stable. I hate taking them, and have tried to go off them a few times, with medical supervision. Without one I’m ratty within 3 days. (short half life) without another, I’m suicidal within about a month.

In the meantime I’m still able to function and be independent. I’ve noticed my short term memory beginning to slip. I will keep going as I am for as long as I can, savouring each day.

Living alone is one way to become and remain independent, although it’s not for everyone.

Personal? Over the internet? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …

I expect, if someone wanted to say something personal to me they would send it in an E-mail. This shit is all show.

High five mate.

The internet is anonymous. People will often say things they would not say to one’s face due to fear of personal injury or death. Of course in real life, I would simply avoid some of the people here. As for the really annoying apologists, we have a saying in OZ; “I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire”. They in turn show schadenfreude at the thought of atheists burning in hell forever. So fuck 'em.

It’s because internet platforms such as Twitter can be so vicious that I don’t use them. I do have a Facebook account, kind of . I only link to people I have actually met. Over the last two months my friends’ list has been reduced by 40%. I now have three friends. I upset a couple of them. I’m beginning to think I may need to lower my standards. :thinking:

We do agree on this comment. We may throw shit at each other, but in the final tally, I do wish you the highest level of the quality of life.

There is something I try to convince most people, and that is we have much more in common than differences.

Go Bears

Bears? Do they have multiple genders too? :laughing:

I don’t know, but black bears, brown bears, grizzly bears, and polar bears have been recorded engaging in homosexual behavior.

Here in is our disagreement. Just because you think you are a dog, does not make you a dog. If you think you are Jesus and act like you are Jesus, we put you in a little white room with soft bouncy walls. But for some reason it is okay the be born male, with all male body parts, or female with all female body parts and insist that you are the opposite gender? Really?

(Don’t go jumping the gun on me. If a person is legitimately born with both sexes or gender neutral, I fully get leaving them the fuck alone, letting them mature and make their own choice. THIS - is the problem from my perspective. 'They should not have to make a choice. They should be absolutely fine just as they are. They do not have to be male or female. This is Black and White thinkiing.) Forcing them to choose a gender is forcing them to “Not Be Who They Are.”

Similarly, choosing a gender identity that you are not, is not different than trying to be somethig you are not, when you convince yourself you are a “Female trapped in a male body.” This is delusional thinking. You are a male, in a male body, who wants to be female. You will never be female. You may approximate life as a female by living as a female and even fooling yourself and others but in doing so, you are in fact living a lie. You are not living in reality. On the other hand, if you believe, I am a male, born male, who wants to live as a female, you are dealing with what is real whether you opt to live as a female or not.

Who they “Really Are” is the genetics tehy were born with. Who they want to be is the illusion. Happiness comes, mental health and stability occurs when the real self and the ideal self act in congruence.

If you actually believe you are Jesus, you are a loon. If you move to the mountains and opt to live like Jesus lived, you are just a bit strange but probably mentally sound.

This assumes that who they are is the same as the biological gender they were born as, as i said my understanding of gender dysphoria is that this is not the case.

Are you saying gender dysphoria isn’t real?

Who is forcing anyone to choose a gender, I have certainly not.

My understanding is they are not choosing their gender identity, anymore than you or I chose to be male. I’ve already explained that gender dysphoria mean the gender they are identifying as is who they are. The gender dysphoria arises because the biological gender they were born as is not. This is what gender dysphoria means.

Why would you think gender dysphoria involves convincing yourself of anything? Did you have to convince yourself you were a man, or a heterosexual?

Only because you are misrepresenting gender dysphoria.

The reality is they are one gender, and their biological gender is another. If this were not the case they would not be suffering from gender dysphoria.

Again then, my understanding of gender dysphoria is that who they really are is different to the biological gender they were born as. It is worth noting that psychiatry is evolving on this issue, which is quite complex. lets not forget that homosexuality was labelled a mental disorder in the past, but psychiatry has changed this view.