How do you explain Laws of Logic and Morality?

Of course the bible is evidence against the notion that the deity depicted is perfectly moral. The most common rebuttal is that humans can’t fathom the perfect morality of a deity, thus we can’t make the claim. Of course they always fail to realise the logical inference from this excuse, as any claims from them that a deity is perfectly moral, would go in the same bin they’re throwing observations from those making the opposite claim, it’s Catch 22.

Either humans know what is and is not moral, and thus are able to assess the behaviour and actions of a deity or they can’t, if they can’t then no one would have any basis on which to claim a deity is perfectly moral, if they can then either one would accept genocide, ethnic cleansing, sex trafficking prisoners, infanticide, torture, endorsing slavery, homophobia and misogyny to name a few, are perfectly moral, or one would have to admit the deity depicted falls well short of even imperfect human standards of morality.

So even if a deity can be demonstrated to exist, morality would remain subjective, it cannot be otherwise.

1 Like

Get to the basics, @christianapologist.

Please first list, then demonstrate, your claims that both a god and moral absolutes exist.

If you are unable or unwilling to do so, then your initial purported interest “in a respectful exchange” will be rendered, at best, self-delusion.

You’ve identified yourself as a rookie apologist. It appears to me that some combination of ego and prejudice against those identified as atheist led you to consider yourself prepared for a discussion here. Based on your admission that you felt ganged up on, I’d bet you felt quite overwhelmed and perhaps a bit startled at the responses you initially welcomed and were, as you said, excited to read.

Now you have a choice. You can, as you’ve indicated a desire to do, actually learn some things, or you can bail. Which will it be? You can follow in the footsteps of the many who came before you and choose the latter. I suspect most here would be neither hurt nor surprised by that.

Side note: If you choose to stick around, it’s advisable you let go of your demonstrated aversion onto folks’ vernacular about god(s) and religions. It has little, if anything, to do with you personally. Many people find god(s) and religions abhorrent and that often shows in the language they use to describe them. Instead, focus on the substance of what is being communicated. To do otherwise and focus on it is easily viewed as an avoidance mechanism.

1 Like

Hi @christianapologist, welcome!! I am a former Christian myself (28 years) and like discussing these topics.

Before I start to go over some of your responses, are you willing to be wrong and change? In essence, I am asking if you care about truth enough to change if you are mistaken. I am, I have, and, I imagine, I will continually learn how I was wrong and change. Most theists I’ve seen come in here have very little interest in an actual exchange of ideas and are just interested in spreading their religion. I hope you are different. To me willingness to change and claiming ignorance when someone doesn’t actually know something are very undervalued in our society.

I rarely meet a Christian that actually understands atheists. Instead of making assumptions in your posts about us, please just ask questions, as we will to you. This prevents straw-manning.

This is my main problem with apologetics. They start with “our god exists” and then end up at the epistemology and logic they need to make it all work. I’ve read more Christian books (by Christians) as an Atheist than I ever did as a Christian. As an example, in Lee Strobel’s “Case for Christ”, he would just say that Jesus performed a miracle and that’s evidence that he was god with no epistemological justification. Can you trust what a witness says about reality nobody else can measure when they get other things right. No. Can you trust they wrote it all down correctly. No. Here Strobel assumes that the miracle both happened, which is a claim itself, and that it meant that Jesus was god. The logic here is terrible, and the decade+ I have spent as a non-Christian, I haven’t seen much better.

This is not the neutral fallacy. The neural fallacy, also known as the false compromise is when one tries to claim that truth must be somewhere in the middle of two extremes. Both sides can be wrong for example. Not being neutral or pretending to be neutral isn’t a fallacy itself. For something to be a fallacy it needs some kind of claim and can be put in the form of a syllogism.

I wrote a post about a week or 2 ago. You are conflating relativism with objective vs subjective reality.

See here and here.

Just quickly, one definition cannot be true on it’s own. It can only be true when compared to something. The definition of blue cannot be more true than the definition of green. However, when something in reality matches what we have for the definition of blue, we can say that it is “true” that the thing in question is blue. Morality is a subjective concept like language, math, ownership, money, etc. Concepts are subjective due to the way they exist and that has nothing to do with relativism.

I think you are misunderstanding us. We are not saying that the material universe is all that exists, we are saying that it is all we know exists. That is a massive distinction. Does something like god exists? We don’t know. But if you make a claim that you do know, we are going to look at the evidence. Are you suggesting that since a concept exists in this universe, that another unseen realm must exist, and that an all mighty god must exist too?

Your above statement is nearly meaningless because, as mentioned above, you are conflating two philosophical ideas. Only the concept of truth is affected by relativism. Is math absolute? Is ownership? What would that even mean? On top of that, you are basically claiming that something in this universe that could be man made isn’t, and that god must have done it. This is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy at best (assuming the source). Thus it is discarded as evidence.

3 Likes

I have made a claim that there are objective morals with the goal of showing immaterial objects exist. If I were able to support that claim, then it opens a small crack in the door for other immaterial objects to exist. Or call it “baby steps” (What About Bob?). As a rookie, I do not plan to try to go any further. It’s beyond my scope at this time. But it would lead to the possibility of one of those immaterial objects being the Christian God that I love and worship. Again, I cannot argue for every aspect of my faith in this thread. I hope to come back sometime and take things further.

My case for objective morals:

1. When two people argue, they appeal to a standard that the other has knowingly broken. For example: “Wait your turn! It’s not fair to cut the line!” If morals were relative we might appeal to a “mean right hook” to overpower the other individual. But that’s not what we all do… we appeal to a standard that we expect them to know and follow.

2. We don’t try to negotiate morals. We act as if they are self-evident. Why is it wrong to torture a young child? This question needs no argument to support it. All agree.

3. Some of us act as if there are no objective morals… until we are mistreated. Then we reflexively appeal to the moral code broken by the person who mistreated us.

4. Evaluative judgments. When we say that someone else’s morals could be improved, we are saying there’s an objective standard by which one can say another’s are lacking. Here’s a perfect example from @Get_off_my_lawn . He feels that he can confidently say that my biblical morals leave something to be desired… ha!

1. Every “ought” bears evidence of objective morality. If we see a child drowning, we know we “ought” to try to save him. The very word demonstrates a code that we think we should recognize and adhere to (especially evident when the ought is contrary to self-preservation, as in: “I ought to courageously defend someone being held at gunpoint”).

2. Making excuses for violating the code. When saying horrible things about my religion and me as a person in this thread, there has been an implied justification.

• “He’s not reading what I posted, therefore…”
  • “He assumed things about me, therefore…”
  • “People from his religion did X, Y, Z, therefore…”

Complaining that someone violated a code, does not imply that the code was objective. So that isn’t necessarily inconsistent, and it seems like your argument is underpinned by the this (false) inconsistency.

3 Likes

So you ignored everything I presented to you. So much for your inflated claims about your conduct of debate.

2 Likes
  1. Some people do that and feel justified in it.
  1. No. Not all agree. And people certainly don’t agree on what constitutes torture.
  1. I dont reflexively appeal to a moral code. I typically get uppity when my well-being is at risk because of another’s actions though.
  1. I think he’s offering an opinion about what he sees as shitty behavior by a god character in some stories…that does not constitute objectivity.
  1. No. It bears evidence of a person’s opinion about what behavior in a given situation they find appropriate. You’ll find different options about what is appropriate from different people.
  1. No. Again…opinion about words written by another.

You really seem to be convinced that the “majority rules”. Just because a lot of people find a particular behavior unsavory it does not result in universality nor objectivity.

4 Likes

In addition, the observable fact that humans have devised numerous ethical codes, none of them identical to each other, on its own destroys all your cant about “objective morality” and your blind assertion that it arises from your imaginary cartoon magic man.

4 Likes

Just making a claim like morals objectively exist doesn’t prove anything. Where does the concept of the number 1 objectively exist? Does the concept of money objectively exist in another universe? If you make a claim like this, you need to prove it. Just saying a concept objectively exists doesn’t open any “cracks” whatsoever, it just sounds absurd.

Don’t cop-out like this. Go read about it and come back. I’m also happy to explain this to you. I think you need to go take some basic philosophy courses. I can recommend some of the Audible “great courses”. Don’t start diving into a subject you don’t understand and then stop talking about it when you can’t meet our objections.

1. You are saying morality objectively exists like a tree, but in another universe. Because we share similar ideas on morality, doesn’t make it objective. We both know what 1 + 1 equals, but this doesn’t mean the concept of the number 1 exists somewhere in the universe, or in another one. Do all objective concepts exists somewhere objectively or just some of them? Why would morality exist like this and not math or money?

2. Same as above

3. Same as above

4. Same as above

5. Same as above

6. Same as above

If all the minds that knew what a $20 bill was all of a sudden stopped existing, it would just be a piece of paper with writing on it. That’s how you know something is subjective. Money is a concept like morality. If you claim that it objectively exists, then you need objective evidence for that. Please find me a money tree :slight_smile:

You are trying to use an invisible objective morality to prove an invisible god exists. I would hope you would see the problem here.

2 Likes

So you can’t offer a single example of a moral absolute, quelle surprise, and all you have is this argumentum ad populum fallacy I pointed out already. That’s a massive fail…

You can’t objectively evidence a single claim you have made, so that is an irrelevant red herring.

Bullshit, I already asked if your morals are the same as ISIS or the Taliban, they’re theists as well, you failed to even answer, so this is now beyond dishonest.

What objective morals? You have not offered a single example, or demonstrated they are even possible. Can you imagine anything more subjective than our own personal opinion about how we think others ought to treat us? This is risible nonsense sorry.

Nonsense, we are offering a subjective opinion. Again all you need do is offer a single objective moral absolute, since you claimed they exist one imagines one example is surely not beyond you? Your reticence suggests dishonesty to me at this point.

Are you saying (for example) you think slavery and ethnic cleansing, and global genocide are not immoral?

That is a subjective opinion. A broad consensus does not mean it is objectively true, you don’t seem to understand what objective means? We decide what we ought to do, it is never an objective absolute. You are also drifting further and further away from any kind of objective evidence for any deity. You’re also ignoring swathes of objections to your previous claims, and claiming to be a rookie will no longer fly, as your errors in reasoning and irrational arguments have been explained in detail in those ignored responses.

One more time then, please give an example of a moral absolute? Or admit they do not exist.

2 Likes

Great post!

It’s worth pointing out he has moved the goal post already (a sign of cognitive dissonance). First it was that morality was absolute, now it is objective reality in another universe. I don’t think he’s really thought about this that much nor understands the philosophical underpinnings of these claims.

2 Likes

So it was objectively moral for the Nazis to commit genocide? Or for your biblical deity?

Come on please, this is infantile facile reasoning. We don’t all feel we “ought” to behave the same, join the fucking dots, or at least honestly address the responses spelling this out for you.

Does this mean you’re discontinuing for now?

1 Like

Immaterial objects exist. (WTF???)
Mathmatics Exist
Space Time Exists
Laws of logic Exist
Scientific Method Exists

If God exists in the same way these immaterial things exist, then the god thing should have similar utility.

Demonstrate your god thing exists in the same way any of the above listed items exists.

2 Likes

Still waiting…?

3 Likes

Me too. (What a load of horse :poop:)

3 Likes

I for one am happy to accept that deities “exist” as abstract concepts, whether what theists imagine has objective utility or not. If that is all he is claiming we can all go to the pub.

2 Likes

(~)0 (~)0 . First rounds on me.

3 Likes

It might be edifying if @christianapologist explains what, if anything, he has learned from this discourse at some point?

3 Likes

Another side question is why does this matter? Why does morality objectively existing in another universe automatically mean that god exists? If math objectively exists in another universe does it mean that the flying spaghetti monster exists?

2 Likes