How do you explain Laws of Logic and Morality?

Actually that is not true, only sociopaths do not negotiate their morals…
In addition it also means that the “christian god you know and love” is an amoral monster. 2 Samuel 12-15. David’s newborn was tortured for 7 days before being killed for his Father’s adultery.

Absolute Moral?

What about Numbers 31:18? Absolutely Moral?
No, it is hideous.

[quote=“Old_man_shouts_at_cl, post:4, topic:4909”]
I have no idea what other atheists would call evil. I suggest you do not know what every christian would call evil…sex slavery? Torturing newborns? Genocide? Are they evil?

I think you have gained an “F” in your quest.

2 Likes

Exodus 21:20-21 (New International Version):

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

Is it moral to beat your slaves so severely that they almost die? Is it moral to beat your slaves? Is it moral to keep slaves at all?

As far as Jesus is concerned, he (assuming he actually existed) was of the opinion that some slaves could be beaten lighter than others, but he refused to address the larger issue of whether it was morally correct to keep slaves at all (Luke 12:47-48):

47 “The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

The bible clearly says that it is OK to keep and to beat slaves. Are you saying that beating people that are unable to defend themselves is morally good, since it says so in the bible? In what way does this not leave something to be desired?

An all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-merciful god should, by any objective measures, make rules that minimises the pain for as many persons as possible, while maximising the quality of life for as many as possible. If sanctioning keeping slaves and mandating beating people who are in no position to defend themselves is not bad morals, I don’t want anything to do with biblical “morals”.

Today, keeping slaves is considered immoral. Same with forcing a woman to marry her rapist, like in Deuteronomy 22:28-29:

28If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

One would expect an almighty god that supposedly knows everything from the past and into the future is to make rules that can withstand the test of time. But the pathetic bastard is not. Thus, his “morals” leaves quite a lot to be desired.

2 Likes

I wonder if theists ever understand the implication in that simple fact? That the origins of morality and empathy are linked in an evolved survival advantage. Parenthetically of course humans have evolved brains capable of abstract thought, and that ability to imagine that also creates a huge survival advantage, enables us to examine and create more complex morals ideas. The more time we have to do this, the more complex our ever changing morality becomes, and after the agricultural and industrial revolutions that is exactly what we see.

Paradoxically, subjective religious morality is chained to the bronze age patriarchal desert Bedouin societies from which they emerged.

2 Likes

I will give in to the urge to address this one further. This is still, after all these decades, and despite moving from victimhood to survival, somewhat difficult to talk about.
I was tortured as a child, by three adult people directly and by one indirectly. Later, as an adult, I confronted three of the four. All three declined to admit what they had done was wrong.
So, @christianapologist, I take profound exception to your assertion that everyone agrees about what is torture or that it is immoral.
To assert what you have asserted is, to me, a palatably deep dis.
How dare you.

3 Likes

Thank you for the discourse. I learned a lot from it. I learned where my arguments are weak, how they are most likely to be countered, and some important terms to get right in future conversations.

I feel really upset that @CyberLN was tortured as a child. That’s horrible. I think we could all agree that what was done to you was wrong. The powerful should never hurt the innocent. The worst cases of this are when people use their so-called religious beliefs to justify such wrongdoing. History, and current events, are full of this: including people claiming my religion. It’s horrible.

Sorry to leave you all unsatisfied… I’m not going to deconvert. I’m not going to agree with you that my reasons for believing in Christianity are baseless. And I’m done with the conversation for now. I might come back in the future with a new line of thinking to bounce off you in the “Debate Room.”

Coward.

(20 characters bla bla bla.)

2 Likes

No worries @christianapologist; I didn’t expect you to convert. I hope you learned something at least and you are always welcome back. If someone leaves here with more justified true beliefs (philosophy term), it makes the world a better place. We can be a cantankerous bunch.

2 Likes

All don’t agree. You are the assholes scaring the shit out of children by tossing them in sinks of water. Do you think saying a few holy words over the water before you dunk the kid does anything to alleviate their fear?

For good people to do evil, all it takes is religious indoctrination.

You are the fucking assholes that cut the foreskins off of babies.

You are the one insisting babies are born in sin.

You fucking hypocrite!

You are the one supporting a god that kills firstborn sons, rips open the stomachs of pregnant mothers, dashes babies onto rocks, and kills every man, woman, child, infant, and animal in a town.

What in the ‘fuck’ are you talking about, when you say “We can all agree?” Those of us over here certainly agree. Your ass is on the side of butchery, infanticide, murder, torture, and calling it all 'God’s Will, and good. One of us is a sick hypocrite. You cannot believe in the bible and argue for objective morality at the same time. Not without being amazingly ignorant.

EDIT: OBVIOUSLY, THIS WAS NOT DIRECTED AT OLD MAN. I WAS COMMENTING ON THE SAME QUOTE BY christianapologist THAT HE HAS CITED.

5 Likes

You never gave “Your Reason” for believing in Christianity. Perhaps you would have really learned a thing or two if you had done that. All you did was present a tired, worn out, apologetic. One that the people around here have addressed hundreds of times, if not more. If you were willing to actually have a discussion, you would have posted your personal reasons for believing.

What you did was pretend you knew something about Atheism.
Accuse atheists of having a world view.
Ascribe the laws of logic to your god thing without evidence that the god thing was real.
Try to equate faith with materialism.
Assert that there was something called objective morality.
Claim that evil existed.
Probably some other stuff that I do not recall off the top of my head.

Then after shitting all over the place with your verbal diarrhea, you ran away.

I concur with the above post.

“COWARD!” You are completely unwilling, and due to your indoctrination, currently unable, to face facts and evidence. You insist on clinging to your delusions in the face of an actual challenge. Your presuppositional nonsense may work on believers, and the ignorant in your congregations, but anyone really willing to look at the bullshit you are spreading, is not going to buy into your magic invisible, immaterial, bullshit.

Blockquote

2 Likes

Whilst I do agree, you do understand this is a subjective opinion right? For example the bible depicts your deity torturing a newborn baby to death, if you agree this is wrong or immoral, that would make that deity immoral.

Well if you believe your deity is perfectly moral, where is the wrongdoing in anything it has done?

So you realise your arguments are weak and irrational, won’t be bothering to answer any questions you sought out and claimed to want, but are clinging to the belief anyway, really? Apart from being closed minded, and irrational, that is an utterly preposterous claim.

That doesn’t seem likely as you are still clinging to the irrational arguments and beliefs you espoused when you said you were hoping to learn, you haven’t answered any of the expansive arguments offered in response, haven’t addressed any of the fallacious claims you made, and are clinging to the belief despite this?

So I have to ask, specifically what have you learned, just to ignore the fact your beliefs and arguments are irrational, and closed mindedly adhere to them anyway, and just avoid arguments you now perceive as weak in favour of better ones, but that you currently don’t have? Again this is utterly preposterous. No one expected you to become an atheist, but some attempt at honest debate is not an unreasonable expectation.

Have you learned and understood the fallacies you used, and grasped that using them makes those arguments irrational, and what that means for those arguments? I might be convinced, though I am dubious, if I’d actually seen some evidence to support this admission from you, but simply leaving seems like you don’t really want to address anything that has been said,a dn the pretence to want to learn is only predicated on the condition you can cling blindly and irrationally to theistic beliefs you haven’t even tried to objectively evidence?

That suggests to me you simply don’t care your beliefs and arguments are irrational, and care more about the belief than whether anyone can objectively demonstrate it to be true. If one care whether beliefs are true, then one ought to shape beliefs to the evidence and facts, not the other way around. Holding a belief, then trying to find arguments to support it is absurd, there is literally nothing one could not believe this way.

I asked you repeatedly to demonstrate some objective evidence for any deity, and you never even tried to do this. Ask yourself then how the deity you imagine exists, differs in any objective way from all the other deities people imagine are real? You repeatedly claimed to know there were moral absolutes, yet failed repeatedly to offer even a single example, and are not leaving without addressing that at all, you must see how that looks?

Try this then: What is the best most compelling reason you think demonstrates your deity exists outside of the human imagination? Since you claim you still believe in a deity, surely this is an easy question for you?

1 Like

No one expects you to de-convert.

2 Likes
  1. I’m not unsatisfied. It might benefit you to examine why you make assumptions about others.
  2. Deconvert? Was that supposed to be the goal?
  3. There’s no need for you to agree that your reasons for believing in your gods are baseless. So far, you have demonstrated it.
  4. Done with the conversation? Are you this quick with everything?
  5. You might come back? To bounce your new apologetics off us? You are certainly welcome to do so as long as your posts adhere to the AR guidelines. But you might want to consider that folks may not welcome you with open arms as most probably don’t view themselves as an argument trampoline.
3 Likes

Why would I be unsatisfied? You’re the one clinging to an irrational belief you can’t objectively evidence, and running away from the same critical scrutiny you claimed you were interested in.

4 Likes

Morality is standardized by judgment. And those in power exact judgment on those who are not in power.

For example, I went shopping today and when I returned the buggy to the collection area I failed to clip the locking mechanism into the last one.

Since I’m crazy, I heard the man behind me thinking, “great! And now some junkie is going to steal the shopping cart because you were too lazy to lock it into the one ahead of it.”

He didn’t say it. But he thought it. I could hear him passing judgment on me.

Now. In consideration of that. What was the moral absolute which I had intentionally broken?

Was it that I was possibly complicit to an act of theft on the behalf of a drug addict? Was it a loss of property which I was complicit in enabling or possibalizing?

Does a large shopping centre have proprietary rights over the shopping cart? Does a drug addict in need of a shopping cart have the sympathetic pass by society to take them as he or she pleases? Does a faceless, nameless grocery conglomerate wage moral judgment on me for not recognizing their propriety rights over shopping carts? And was the man who passed judgment on me justified in doing so?

Moreover, will God, at the end of my life, consider this act of immorality in his assessment of my mortal soul?

Do you see how convoluted cases of morality can get?

I’ll tell you what I think. Sensing the judgment of the man behind me I thought to my self, “if he calls me out on this act of laziness I will return the favor by inquiring if he is my wife? That will effectively tell him how I feel about a metal shopping cart worth all of five dollars which may or may not go missing from the parking lot because I gave exactly zero fucks as to whether or not it gets locked up. And to boot, I’m sick of putting quarters into these things just to have the privilege of gathering my food stuffs for the week out of their place of business.”

Now, if I can get this particular about an act which most people wouldn’t have a second thought about, what relevance does every single waking action and decision have in the moral scheme of things?

If there is a moral imperative underlying even the simple act of returning a shopping buggy in a parking lot, then what about picking up our dog crap from the street? Or not properly sorting out our recycling? Or spitting on the concrete?

Would you be happy if God passed moral judgment on you for any of the above? More importantly would you respect a God who was so petty?

This is the crux of my argument. The moral imperative doesn’t exist. What exists is the judgment and the execution of punishment.

Whatever offends me or causes me anger - that I will pass judgment on. Whatever requires of me action to satisfy my anger - that I will make consequence of.

If the man were to attempt consequences on my actions, would I accept the authority of another human as the standard by which I conduct my self as an adult? Certainly not.

Unless I can be bound by ropes and thrown in a prison I will not commit an offence against those who could conceivably do that. And of those who have the power to imprison me I am well aware that their decision to do so is a function of how they’re feeling that day.

I answer to no one. Unless I feel that I will be punished for something I will not do it. And there are only a certain handful of people in this society which can hold me accountable for my actions.

What then stops me from, say, murdering an infant? I have no moral compass. Who’s to say that if I found my self in a desert with my infant child and no signs of civilization ahead; being famished and parched … would I not drink the blood of that child and make jerky of its flesh just to survive?

You don’t know what atrocities your capable of pastor Bill. And you don’t know what forgiveness God is capable of. Thus how can there be absolute morals without absolute consequences?

Maybe that child is the antichrist? :joy:

So the biblical deity was wrong when it tortured King david’s newborn baby son to death over 7 days in the bible? You sure you haven’t just shot yourself in the foot? Do you think the Nazis who ran the death camps agreed with this, without argument? Also being a theists was a requirement for admission to the SS.

“Any human being who does not believe in God should be considered arrogant, megalomaniacal, and stupid and thus not suited for the SS.”[2] He did not allow atheists into the SS, arguing that their “refusal to acknowledge higher powers” would be a “potential source of indiscipline”

CITATION

In case you’re curious those theists were overwhelmingly Christian, there was a census conducted in Germany in the late thirties, and from memory Christianity was something like 96%, some of the other religious demographics didn’t fare too well under the Nazis, as we know. Not that surprising when you consider that European Christianity was responsible for centuries of virulent antisemitism, culminating of course in the Holocaust.

No wonder this particular apologist ran away without properly addressing the arguments challenging his own.

1 Like

I’m a glutton for punishment I guess… can’t stop thinking about you guys…

Are you implying a supernatural illness instituted as torture by a deity? That would be an interesting take from @Sheldon . I thought you were of the mind that God does not exist and neither does the supernatural, was I wrong about that? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Remember an earlier post where someone gave the example of punching someone in the face to prevent harm to another? That argument implies that someone (the puncher in this example) is able to evaluate bad, good, better, and as complexity increases choose the best of all options. Sometimes the best of all options is not good at all. Sort of like when a movie villain endangers the hero’s one true love and a bus of innocent people and the hero must choose. What a lousy choice to have to make. My point is the choice.

A Christian perspective is that you’re right about this process of judging what is just, and due to human free will, there’s a very tangled mess of things to sort out to maintain justice. We are aware of it because humans have been instilled with moral intuition. It can be suppressed or perverted (absolutely) but we have the capacity to see the need for choice, to rise above the mechanisms of life and choose what is bad, good, better, or maybe best. Again, the Christian belief, which I don’t expect you to hold, says that God arbitrates justice without corruption. Our sense of the need for justice comes from Him but is lacking in perspective, scope, and purity to administer it.

At the end of the day, only God has the perspective to judge all fairly (if He exists, and I believe He does). So what do I think about a baby being stricken for the sins of his father? It offends my moral intuition. I don’t like it. But because I believe in God as just and right, it must be somehow justified in a way I don’t understand. That’s not a presupposition I expect you to hold, I’m not making an argument for Christianity here, just explaining how I look at the topic you brought up from my Christian perspective.

So I wouldn’t try to convince you that you should feel good about that passage of the Bible. But if you were to see enough evidence to put your faith in the God described in the Bible you would come to trust that he somehow did right by the baby and father and all of us. A big piece of that would the Christian belief in life after death. Illness, dying, and even torture are not the end in our belief system. We believe in an eternity of joy with God after death. It hits different when you look at death in that light. It also hits different when you believe that God himself suffered and died, so we are never alone in suffering or the experience of dying. That baby was ill for 7 days, then transitioned to eternal joy. He met many Christians who suffered much worse and much longer. And we have no idea what a future for that baby would have been: would challengers to the crown have done something far worse if he lived to be an adult? Many of David’s sons suffered a great deal in other ways.

You make an excellent point (in favor of my view of things). You and I can be totally opposed in our understanding of religion and the universe but totally agree that the Nazis were wrong to kill those people. And no one could ever make a case in favor of the Nazis being morally right in their actions. This points to how not every moral question is answered the same way in various times and cultures, but there are some basic moral standards that we all agree upon. The Nazis were wrong. And we can say that because we know it, not just by social convention.

Equating thiests with Nazis is a pretty lame argument. You have much stronger ones @Sheldon . The Bible is full of warnings not to oppress the poor, the widows, the foreigner. It says “Do not murder.” Malachi 6:8 says, in essence, to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God. The people professing Christianity and killing Jews were wrong and not acting in alignment with the Christian faith. Either they were not truly Christians in the first place or they sinned greatly by letting their fear of the Nazi regime pressure them into murder. Either way, it is not a representation of what Christianity teaches or what Christians ought to be. Obviously, we can make the same case for every category of human. Somewhere there’s an atheist murderer, therefore atheism is bad. Somewhere there’s an American murderer, so America is bad. The list is endless.

And to say, “Well, this happens a lot with Christianity is not a strong argument either.” More people are killed with chainsaws than measuring tapes, so chainsaws are worse. Religions absolutely have a power effect, including the misuse of them, just as a chainsaw has more inherent power than a measuring tape. Powerful effect or frequent misuse does not nullify the proper and appropriate use.

I’m not going to respond to everyone. I just don’t have the time. Plus, it’s like 20 to 1 ratio in here, so… Also, whenever I stop replying you could say something along these lines. I never intended to debate forever. I also never intended to debate every aspect of atheism, Christianity, or anything else. I started a conversation about what I consider the self-defeating nature of materialism. Yes, not all atheists are materialist. Yes, they are different categories. I hear you. But I’m pretty sure I found some people of materialist perspective in this thread, so…

See ya later!

Here’s a question for the group…

Do you agree with this statement: all true knowledge comes via science; that only those things discoverable or testable or provable scientifically count as knowledge?

If you disagree, what would you say about the relationship of science to knowledge?

That is ridiculous. :-1:t6:

4 Likes

Science has never professed to produce “True knowledge.” The only one professing to have true knowledge is you. Science is not a thing. There is no thing called science. Science is a process.It is the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world. The natural world is studied because that is all there is to study. This is called methodological naturalism. The world is understood through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained. The supernatural, gods, ghosts, demons, and spirits are not eliminated by science. They eliminate themselves by providing no evidence for anything to be studied. Science has never discovered a supernatural or god-based, explanation for anything. This leads us to ‘Divine Hiddenness.’ The fact that your God thing, like all god things, are hidden, absent, or silent. An absent, hidden, or silent god is the same thing as a non-existent god.

What evidence do you have for your ‘all-knowing’ god claim? You are the one asserting knowledge. Not Science. Your problem is that you don’t understand science. Science builds models, not ‘all-knowing truths.’ It builds models based on facts, observation, and experimentation. When new information comes along, science changes its models. Science can not build a model for an unfalsifiable claim that does not affect the natural world.

YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE PROFESSING “TRUE KNOWLEDGE.” The religions of the world are the only ones professing “TRUE KNOWLEDGE.” NOT SCIENCE.

4 Likes

As a direct answer to your question, false, math is a branch of philosophy where you can have true knowledge. A² + B² = C² for all right triangles.

The issue here is how do we know something is true knowledge, or I prefer, a “justified true belief”. This is a branch of philosophy called epistemology. Methods where we can’t verify claims is nothing better than guessing. It is worth noting that the scientific method is an epistemology and faith is another. Science is the branch of philosophy that deals with knowledge gained about our universe. (Every branch of knowledge is a branch of philosophy, even theology. Every PhD is a doctorate in philosophy.)

The problem here is how does one gather true knowledge, aka epistemology. There are over 4000 religions, and it is easy for them to make up some stuff and say that they don’t understand X about the universe so my specific religion must be true. We are claiming your religion is made up by a human. You, and nobody else for that matter, has never been able to prove that their religion is true. What they do instead is they each have a different epistemology, custom made so they can believe their religion is true. This leaves folks believing their religion because they want to, not because they know it is true. This is the definition of faith, belief without proof.

We are going to ask you how you know something is true, and you are not just believing something somebody else made up. What would you need to have in order for you to change your religion to Islam? Would any of the excuses you gave us convince you?

2 Likes