Buddhism - a religion for atheists

No, no. I’m not suffering. It’s not everyday you meet a “sexy bitch” who swears like a sailor.

Please excuse the penis joke. I will call upon the EvilOne to send some other kind of pestilence.

Uhh … who labelled me? It was Cog. Who the fuck cares? I don’t know. But I don’t personally appreciate being called a “novice” when I’ve dedicated a good 20 years of my life to the study and practice of early Buddhism.

Anyway. We got off on the wrong foot. Hi there :grinning: I’m rat spit. I’m batshit crazy and I talk to God. And if you don’t believe me, then you’re negating you inner voice (and thus your Self).

Cheerio!

Even better! But I’ve grown since I left. I’m more serious and … stuff.

Jesus fuckin’Christ … NO ONE TAKES HIM SERIOUSLY :flushed: however he made you stumble and feel defensive - hmmmm maybe he’s onto something :thinking:

Ahhh :relieved: you’re so cute. As I read this I can’t help but “hear” my inner voice and therefore I have to believe my “inner voice” otherwise I can’t understand your communication with me.

NOW whether I agree with the words you’ve communicated with me is a whole other issue, isn’t it?

I don’t think we’re off to a bad start … I’m not mad or attacking or anything…I didn’t think you were either.

Cog’s a Buddhist aficionado. It wasn’t as much a defensive thing as it was a chance to show him how much “bigger” my “understanding” of Buddhism was than his.

It’s a subtle (“simple”) argument. Nice to see you get the gist of it. Regarding your agreement - well, we can put it this way: whether or not I agree with the existence of an OverLord I do not choose to believe in Him or not. He simply speaks to me and that is the end of it.

On the other hand - you get to make a conscious choice … actually … I’m not going to rehash that argument again.

For the time being I am advocating Buddhism as a philosophy that atheists might be drawn to because it makes no mention of God.

:flushed: well as long as it’s positive “talk” and you’re functioning … Nash was able to work around and with his schizophrenia via acceptance and “reality” checks

Personally, my philosophy is acceptance, well being, empathy, self interest and “is”ness - a high standard of evidence for being convinced of something… and a who “gives a fuck”?

Reincarnation is apart of Buddhism so is “nirvana” - escaping the cycle, and caste systems- various levels upon death and making your way through the afterlife …blah blah blah

If this works for you - great :+1:. Not my cup of tea :coffee:

Oh, damn! I totally forgot about Barney! :grimacing:

RUN, RATTY! RUUUUUUN!!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Hey, Rat, hope you don’t mind if I bring White up to speed real quick…

@Whitefire13

Just so you know, that is just one of his ways of comparing his penis to Cog’s penis. He does this quite a bit. Get use to it.

Daydreaming :thought_balloon: thanks Tin :hugs:

Cite anything at all in your Buddhist bullshit that has the reality of a beautiful woman. (Your brain state is contingent on a brain and the stupid shit you tell yourself. Believing is seeing. Garbage in and garbage out.)

Any moron with an IQ of 1 can enter a stupor. Nothing fucking magical about it at all. And, by the way, completely measurable on an EEG. No brain activity and you are dead.

NO! It is not “Necessary.” It is delusional.

Then how in the fuck did you perceive a cessation of thought. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … Who did the perceiving? You are delusional! Waking from a dreamless sleep is more impressive than the shit you are spreading.

Hinayana is a “Fucking School”

Your fucking brain does this every night when you are asleep. If it did not do it, you would dream about running and wake up 20 blocks from your own home. All you have done in the meditative state is succeeded in entering a brain state where you are still conscious as the brain separates from the body. This is a common phenomena known as “Sleep Paralysis.”
You stop noticing it and maintain your mindfulness and your brain will create an astral projection. IT MEANS NOTHING. It is just a brain state.

So you want to argue about the objective reality of the colour red? That would send us in circles forever. I think the red really exists external to my eyes and you think the red is a “brain state”. I beg to differ.

Or you have eliminated the functional aspect of sense-consciousness. You have no idea what this attainment is, do you? Do you simply enjoy denigrating the Buddha’s contribution to contemplative thought or do you have an actual opinion on the state?

Awareness can not be eliminated. More over, the faculties have not been destroyed. They are well in tact - the only difference is that they are no longer enchanted with the objects of sense. All mental faculties continue to go on - albeit in the absence of any external intrusion.

No it is not. It is a derogatory term employed by Mahayana schools which means “inferior vehicle” - referring to the fact that those who follow early Buddhism seek their own escape - not (as Mahayana Buddhist’s employ) the escape of all sentient beings by their Bodhisattva vow.

I’ll save you the trouble. Historically the Hinayana branch Consisted of eighteen schools. All but one have vanished throughout time. That school is “Theravada” - the teachings of the elders. It relies on the three baskets (ie. the confirmed, original teachings of the Buddha).

There is no bodily; verbal; or mental fabrications in Nirodha Samapatti.

That is the profound and somewhat magical part of it.

You just stay delusional and keep telling yourself that. I can only feel pity for you.

Okay. You got me. I’m delusional :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Ratty:
One finds a religion and something desirable in it which becomes the object of attainment. Then a plan is devise to acquire the object. Finally, with great deliberation. Finally the plan is carried out with hard, unrelenting work.

“There is … no path, no wisdom, no attainment, and no non-attainment …”

“Anyone who accepts any truth from someone else has not yet found it within himself.”

You have not yet killed the Buddha. What’s the difference between a bird singing in a cage and one singing on the limb of a tree? Which are you?

Emptiness is form, form is emptiness. That which is emptiness is form. That which is form is emptiness. Stop pretending you know shit and open your eyes.

@Cognostic

:thinking: clearly a fan of Nagarjuna. I can not take you seriously at this point.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha … There is no journey and no destination. Again you demonstrate your novice like ignorance.

When you don’t want to understand, one excuse is as good as another.

@Cognostic

“All form is emptiness. All emptiness is form.”

You are quoting ideas which arose four to five hundred years after the Buddha gave his original teachings.

I do not take Mahayana enthusiasts seriously. Unless you’re a Bodhisattva?

I am one with myself, unless I am one with another. Then we are one together, but not with ourselves.

(Sorry. Just had to get in on this…)

2 Likes