Best Atheist Books?

What are the best Atheist books?

There aren’t any. Atheism is not a philosophy or belief system.

I guess that’s not very helpful. Perhaps read a bit of Plato for lucidity of thought.
I’m also very fond of “Ego and Altruism” by Ronald D Milo.

If you’re really keen, take a look at “The History Of Western Philosophy” by Bertrand Russell.

1 Like

Given that you haven’t a clue about what Evolution is… I highly suggest you inform yourself. “The Selfish Gene” Richard Dawkins.

2 Likes

How do you define “atheist book”? As others have said, since atheism isn’t a belief system, there’s no need for a book to describe it.

Expanding the definition a little, here are some well-known books on the atheism topic and/or written by atheists:

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell
Godless and God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction by Dan Barker

There are many others, but these are a start.

1 Like

Since, based on another post, you don’t appear to know much about evolution, I would suggest reading the following:

On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin (the original, and still one of the best books on the topic)
Nearly anything by Richard Dawkins, especially The Selfish Gene, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mt. Improbable, and The Ancestor’s Tale.
Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

2 Likes

I’ve read all of them but Origin of the Species. They are all good. But I would like to add the following books, which I can highly recommend:

Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish
Daniel E. Lieberman: The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease
Sean B. Carrol: The Serengeti Rules (Edit: though strictly speaking not about evolution per se, it’s about regulation, from how many cells there are in a body to the number of animals on the plains in Africa)

Also, Bart Ehrman, a profiled Bible scholar, have written some interesting books about the Bible. I have so far read two of them:

Bart D. Ehrman: Forged: Writing in the Name of God
Bart D. Ehrman: Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don’t Know About Them

1 Like

Origin of Species, not Origin of the Species. The book isn’t specifically about the origin of any one species. Darwin’s later book, The Descent of Man, is his theory of human evolution.

Details, details. Sometimes, the fingers fly a little oot fsat voer eth keybroad.

I only felt the need to correct you because I hear it incorrectly named that way so often, especially by evolution deniers who haven’t read it and think it is specific to human evolution. :wink: