Before the religions what the people are doing?

I’ve only read the question, not the replies of others here. So here’s what I have to say:

Before religion: people lived life, made babies, fought wars, shed blood, but some of these people wondered way too much about who made the moon, where did humans come from, what happens after death and whether death is the end. So, for me, it was kind of a ‘reflection phase’ where people thought about the meaning and origin behind everything. Eventually they came up with ideas and those ideas became beliefs and those beliefs became personalities and those personalities became prophets and messengers and BOOM, religion was born, though not so organized in the ancient times.

After religion: well, people failed to liberate themselves from the ancient lies that the people came up with in their ‘reflection phase’ and the religion thus managed to stay alive, in one version or the other.

That’s how I look at it. It makes it simple and easy to understanding.

1 Like

You seem to be claiming to know what people should/ought do. I wish I had your wisdom :face_with_monocle:

Education and an above subsistence level life are the magic bullets against superstition. A look at developed nations shows that where a group of people are educated and have good standard of living, religiosity declines. Conversely, ignorance and poverty are the hand maidens of religion.

Religion survives and thrives where it meets important human needs. Such as providing a meaning to life as well as the illusion of control and purpose. Religion can comfort people in their fear of death.
Historically, shared religious beliefs create as sense of community and of belonged. Not belonging to the dominant religious group can still be a danger to one’s physical well being in some Muslim countries. EG I understand that Saudi Arabia still executes muslim apostates, atheists and homosexuals.

Simple and easy to understand can also be a euphemism for shallow or just wrong.

5 Likes

Eloquently put, my disdain for organised religion, and my atheism, doesn’t make me right, or theists wrong. Our actions are what can be judged right or wrong, and beliefs can of course drive our actions, the good and the bad.

Giving this some thought recently, if I were asked what my main objection to theism is, I would have to say, it’s that at its core, the belief fosters the idea humans owe more loyalty to an unevidenced deity than to each others well being, and therefore a key component of my morality, that it must recognize the inherent value of a single human life, is negated.

5 Likes

I think :thought_balloon: I like this thought.

This “deity” is responsible for so much.

I guess it’s nice when you can transfer “responsibility”…

1 Like

I am high so I will do the best that I can.

Are you calling all atheists liars or just this group?

Either way I would like to see your evidence of a god. If that’s what you believe in that’s all I ask, or anyone else who do not believe in god.

Again I am high so I ain’t crisp. LOL.

1 Like

After religion the people who were decided to believe a religion had not changed the way their relationships with others or the way they have been talking with each other . After the religion they were the same people or they had the same culturel behaviours. Religion has only modifying effect initially. I think THE SOURCE of everything is the people themselves.

1 Like

Personally my main objection to theism, as I’ve spoken about before, is what could’ve been.

I wish we were living in a time where our technology allowed us to explore beyond this planet, and I can’t help but feel superstitions have held us back somewhat, meaning my one life is lived in a time where we know so very little about the reality we find ourselves in.

Again, I can’t know this is the case, but the resentment has been present in my life for so long, it’s very difficult to shift.

1 Like

Theism is a method used to control people by offering bullshit explanations. It strips away their dignity and well-being, replacing it with fear and dread.

2 Likes

Not to mention their critical thought and ability to logically reason, and then there’s superstition that prevents them from perfectly harmless aspects of life.

If a friend had a lucky rabbit’s foot, and told you, that this rabbit’s foot is so lucky, he believes he can use it to bet his entire lives savings on a horse, because his rabbit’s foot will assure his success, as a friend, you’d be obliged to attempt to dissuade him this is a poor decision.

There’s no demonstrative evidence that rabbit’s foot has any connection that the horse will win or not.

Just like there is no demonstrative evidence that God exists, or that any of the superstitions that come along with such ideals exist.

1 Like

According to my mother, I had an invisible friend when I was about 3 . His name was Mr Bailey and I would blame him for anything I did wrong. Apparently that didn’t last long, mum wouldn’t wear it. AT five, going to the convent school I apparently went through another very short phase saying “the devil made me do it”***-------------------Coming from a 3 or 5 year old, that shit is cute. Coming from an adult, it’s pathetic, in both the vernacular and literal meanings.

***Never too young to learn about sin, heaven and hell and the devil…

2 Likes