Anyone know what "Different Kinds of Disbelief" is referencing?

EVERYBODY has beliefs!

A belief is simply the psychological state in which one accepts a premise as true, or likely true. Knowledge is a subset of belief.

3 Likes

You are leaving out the formation of a doctrine. Thought is the “mechanism” by which one arrives at a belief and forms the doctrine to remember the thought, and then possibly challenging it to form a “disbelief” based on emerging information.

“premise” - “doctrine” - what’s the difference?

This is fuckig stupid (That’s my doctrine.) I have a million thoughts a day and none of them are formed into doctrine. I don’t even think I have a doctrine in my life. I know I don’t have a moral code… Well, unless you want to call a moral code - being human. I am capable of doing all things that humans have ever done, under the right circumstances. My moral code is that I don’t believe I am special. If I was trapped on a mountain in a plane crash, I might be a cannibal. Were I starved enough or my children dying of hunger, I might resort to whatever I needed to do. I don’t know who I am morally or intellectually, and I don’t pretend to know. I also don’t want to expose myself to such extreme situations to find out. I personally believe all ‘moral codes’ are just bullshit. We have the delusional privilege of making up moral codes when our stomachs are full and life is so good that we have the time to invent them. I count ‘doctrine’ among the same sort of beast. Doctrine falls away when it meets reality.

3 Likes

Like I said, a child lost in a forest who does not even recognize a tree.

PREMISE: a previous statement or proposition from which another is inferred or follows as a conclusion. “if the premise is true, then the conclusion must be true”

DOCTRINE: a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group. “the doctrine of predestination” a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma.

4 Likes

Nope, disbelief need not be defined in the way you’re asserting. All babies for example are born atheists, they cannot be otherwise. However this still misses the point, you are claiming what you subjectively think atheists should do, not what atheism is. Not sure why you need to be told over and over that atheists and atheism are not the same thing.

It’s like asserting that water is an integral part of a bucket, just because a bucket can hold water or not.

A premise is a previous statement or proposition from which another is inferred or follows as a conclusion. a doctrine is a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group. Again one wonders why you would need to ask, as these definitions are easily accessible to anyone in seconds?

2 Likes

He’s writing his own dictionary :smirk: and he hasn’t got there yet.

3 Likes

Oh fuck! We already did this. Does every atheist on the site have to give you the same answer? This is fucking conventional usage. Sorry you don’t like it. If you are not going to use it, we are never going to be talking about the same shit. That’s the way language works.

2 Likes