Anyone know what "Different Kinds of Disbelief" is referencing?

I’ll agree with, “Without consideration.” Without “thought” leads to an equivocation fallacy.

2 Likes

Perhaps it may appear to be a distinction without a difference, but I would posit that while consideration is an apparently conscious process involving introspection, thoughts can be unconscious, though they are still a required element of arriving at belief. Because our unconscious thoughts contain elements of feelings, emotions, indoctrinations, etc., they are subject to influences independent of awareness, whereas conscious thought processes such as consideration provide the opportunity to “filter” inappropriate influences on arriving at conclusions and therefore, beliefs. This does not in any way guarantee that merely being conscious of thoughts would necessarily lead to reasonable or logical conclusions or beliefs, or be exempt from the influences.
Thoughts do do not have to be conscious or possess the characteristics of introspection as would be expected in “consideration”.

1 Like

@Cognostic @skriten

Look, you two Bozos, why y’all gotta be so damn literal? Pretty sure Dave was just using a figure of speech to make a point. For instance, whenever I am walking through a neighborhood in the middle of the night and see a kiddie pool full of jello in somebody’s yard, I immediately go jump in it and splash around without even thinking about it. Just a reflex reaction, ya know? Almost instinctive. No thought required. Same with some people and religion. See?

(Edited without thinking about it.)

1 Like

But I had to use my brain’s ability to process information (think) to arrive at my present position as an atheist.

1 Like

I do not disagree. However, whether or not you were aware of it, your brain was processing information, even when you harbored beliefs which you no longer accept.
Self-awareness and introspection are indeed different manifestations of “thought”, but not to be construed as any more valid as a demonstration of thought than unconscious thought, only a different one. Clearly, unconscious thought is not regarded the same as considered, contemplative thought, when one refers to “I thought about it” .
The distinction, for me, is conscious thought, as opposed to unconscious or “non-introspective”thought”. I am, unfortunately, required to interact with people who are often referred to as “unthinking”. This is a prime example of unconscious thought.
Conversely, I am now interacting with you, who is clearly employing conscious, contemplative thought.
Often when people do stupid things they will utter “what was I thinking?”. This is an example of the unconscious thought process, and people recognize it…”unconsciously”
This may come down to a vocabulary question, rather than a strictly definitional one.
I appreciate the notion that when people refer to thought, that they are likely referring to conscious thought.

Edited unconsciously

Sorry, you are mistaken. We are genetically predisposed to want to thrash about in flavored gooey substances, whereas religion is more like a virus or disease, which needs the mechanism of indoctrination or repeated exposure to become imbedded in the psyche of the innocent victim…

Edited, or so I thought

1 Like

Huh! Hey skriten? Did you hear that? Was that the front gate squeeking or that asshole riding by on his rusty ole trike?

2 Likes

Uh…not sure, but I hear tell he acquired a unicycle, which allows him to “go both ways” with little effort.

Edit squeaky oiling…

1 Like

I’m afraid the unicycle didn’t last very long. Couple of problems…

First, there was the Stair Incident. My therapist said I should talk about it to help me recover emotionally, but I’m just not ready to relive it yet. :disappointed_relieved:

But it was the “Towing Incident” that finally put me off of it for good. Honestly, it never occurred to me that I would have to peddle as fast as the truck was moving when I grabbed the tailgate.

1 Like

Hahah…wtf? Where did you grow up…Texas?
Everybody knows you have to take your feet off of the pedals and balance with your ass when you grab onto the old pickup tailgate.
Good grief…and stairs? Did no one tell you that you have to hop the unicycle down the stairs and not ride the bastard down at life-threatening speed? Good luck with the therapist…keeping in mind that that if you break down the title it becomes “the rapist”…

Edit vague clarity

Oh, damn. THAT explains a lot. :flushed: I’ve been wondering why he has a bottle of chloroform sitting on his desk. And I always leave there with a bad headache and my shoe laces tied funny.

1 Like

Oh Uni = one and cycle is like bi = two cycle = wheels. Fuck me. I thought the damn thing was a shoulder rest and a hand pump for washing socks in the river. I just pin my dirty socks to those metal things, crank the hand crank, and the socks come out of the river clean. I never would have even tried to ride such a stupid looking thing.

2 Likes

Oh really? I’m pretty sure it was you perched on Tin’s shoulder, careening through a neighborhood in search of a jello-filled kiddy pool.

Edit…square peg/round hole

3 Likes

Ha! Jokes on you! All kiddy pools are Jello friendly. The trick is to find a Jello friendly pool with Christian kids in it so that the Jello is not only delicios but full of protine.

1 Like

MMmmm…Limey…Other “hints” of flavor…

The Tourette’s ward at London General had a nice assortment of Jerky flavors last summer.

Bastard bitch tittie ear jackoff is by far my fav…

Edit for sensitivity training

Sounds dubious, but Islam teaches this kind of guff, I found a few links. Here’s one:

Types of Kufr (Disbelief)

“The Qur’an uses the word kufr to denote people who cover up or hide realities. The Qur’an uses this word to identify those who denied Allah’s favors by not accepting His Dominion and Authority. Kufr thus is an antonym for iman or disbelief in Allah and a kafir is a non-believer. This type of kufr is called al-kufr al-akbar or major kufr. There are many types of al-kufr al-akbar:”

It’s the usual guff, shifting the onus onto those who disbelieve, and falsely claiming there is evidence that they are ignoring or denying.

Is that what you were referring to?

Edit: I should’ve read on, as that appears to be exactly what you were referring to.

Seems the xtians have adopted this as well. Because someone doesn’t believe in those superstitions, the believers use this bullshit rule as a way to label them as a liar and an evil person.

1 Like