Why do things fall down?

Indeed, I’ve already devoted numerous column inches to this very topic, the reason why we still use Newton’s ideas when general relativity is a superior model. Conceptual and computational simplicity is only part of the picture - another important part is that Newton’s ideas are an excellent approximation in everyday circumstances.

1 Like

Exactly. I have never needed General Relativity (GR) in my work. Excepting the coursework I did on Special Relativity (SR) at university, I have never needed SR explicitly, but only indirectly through electromagnetism. Classical Newtonian style non-relativistic physics has always been good enough and precise enough for me. The only reason I, in my work, would ever need to delve into SR and GR would be to understand the deep detailed workings of satellite navigation systems like GPS. But I don’t need that, I’m simply just a user of those systems, and I let the SatNav experts do the nitty gritty details. In other words, Newtonian physics (or, if you prefer, SR or GR in the low-velocity, low-mass and non-cosmic scale limit, where relativistic effects are negligible) is still the preferred framework for regular physics calculations.

1 Like