Why do "some" Christians think morality is only exclusive to them?

Has anybody else noticed how Red posts a shit-ton of threads, but does not respond to any remarks we make in them? (Oops… Did I say that out loud?)

1 Like

Many of the rest of us aren’t keen on this forum becoming a dystopian nightmare of Social Notworking hanger-outers and Thread Dumpers, either.

I, therefore, heartily state that I notice, as well.

1 Like

I just find it interesting how he/she/it has all sorts of spare time to start multiple threads (most of which seem to be purposely “inflammatory”), yet this individual just can’t seem to find the time to participate in the threads he/she/it created. Almost as if there is no interest in having a discussion. Geeee… :thinking:

Fully noticed and noted :memo:

Isn’t Christian “morality” just a warped form of Altruism?

We once had a discussion - way way back…a looonggg time ago about “altruism”.

I have no idea at all how you get to altruism from moral dictates. I think you are not actually understanding the concept of altruism. Altruism: the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.

Of key importance here is the concept of 'selfless." If an altruistic act is performed as a dictate from a God, it is not altruistic but merely following orders to please a god. A very selfish act in that, “I want to please God and do as he says so I can get a reward; heaven.” This is nowhere near altruism. There is no act that a Christian can take that is selfless as all acts are done for the glory of their god, to please him, to earn their way into heaven.

An atheist, on the other hand, has no reason whatsoever to act in an altruistic way. Perhaps they do it to feel like they have done something nice. Perpahs, atheists do it hoping to make the world a better place. Regardless; the act of an atheist is always and in all ways more alturistic than those of the religious.

In short, there is no altruism in religion. No altruism in moral dictates.

3 Likes

Religion is transactional. I will pray to god, he will grant my wishes. I will light a candle, he will save my soul. Yadda yadda yadda.

2 Likes

Exactly. So, if you believe the Old Testament that morality came from god to his chosen and eventually the riff raff unchosen, via 10 commandments, that mean that previously people went around killing and coveting their neighbours wife, cow . . . How ridiculous. Reflective, once again of how intellectually simplistic the alleged creator of all things must be. Why isn’t this a red flag for believers? Ancient history, with evidence, is well documented and people weren’t completely depraved.

2 Likes