Why do Christians get so offended?

Why do Christians get so offended when we Atheists tell them exactly what we think?

Often times being told the truth is sometimes a tough pill to swallow. Are they offended because they know deep down inside their imaginary friend isn’t going to save them? That when they look in the mirror they ask themselves if their god is really real or truly imaginary? That they themselves doubt? That if their god were truly real, they wouldn’t feel the need to defend it or make stupid threats about an imaginary torture dungeon?

Well, it could be a different reason for each one of the theists who gets upset. I wonder if they have ever asked themselves why.

1 Like

When you reject god you are rejecting the believer; because they share the same brain.

3 Likes

Typically, atheists attack Christians with “There is no God, and you are wrong.” This is not actually the atheist position. First, when we meet someone, we have no idea what they are calling god. It may very well be that their cat is god; in which case it exists, but we are not going to call it a god or worship it. But, we must agree it exists. So what if they say God is love? Does love exist? Yes, but we have a perfectly good word for love: “LOVE.” So why call it god? Our assertion that "God does not exist is fallacious. We do not have enough information to make that assertion. The universe is a big place and we have not yet turned over every rock on every planet or viewed every possibility.

So most atheists do go on the attack with their assertion, 'God does not exist." This tends to be especially true of new atheists. It is true because that is what they think atheism is. It is not.

Atheists experienced in their craft know when to make 'God Claims." They know when to assert a specific god does or does not exist and what facts to base their claim on. All claims need justification. What god are you talking about, and how do you know what you are claiming is true? What are the irrefutable facts?

Seasoned atheists are more likely to say things like, ‘I don’t believe in gods, magic, or the supernatural.’ I just have not seen any evidence for such claims. Or they may just say “I’m not religious.” This tends to invite inquiry and leads to a much more congenial form of communication. It also allows the religious person a quick exit without feeling offended by “Your god does not exist!” Which is about the same as asserting “You are an idiot for believing in God.” and that is equal to “You are an idiot, and going to hell, for not believing in a god.”

So, when you see the offended Christian, first take a look at how they approached you. If they approached you in an offensive manner, well fuck them. Who gives a shit if they are offended. Your fucking god is a mass murdering piece of shit who professes to be all powerful and yet stands around while babies die, and women are raped, people are born with deformities and idiots like you are allowed to wonder the streets.

On the other hand, if they approach you with politeness and a simple ‘God bless you.’ “Thank you for your kind gesture. I’m not religious, but I appreciate your sentiment.” is perfectly in order. If they get offended at that, they are an ass. They are the ones that started the religious shit with their “God bless you.” It is perfectly okay to mention that I am not religion in the face of someone boldly indicating that they are religious to my face. IMO And I have been very nice about it.

LOL - I can get nasty quick as shit? LOL… but I don’t go there often, and I have had some good discussions. (I’ve also been nasty once or twice.)

2 Likes

My cat does indeed believe he is god. I am inclined to believe him.

6 Likes

Because of Luke 19:27. They know they are supposed to slay the non believers and they are in conflict with the you shall not kill thing.

3 Likes

Theists perceive their belief in a deity as the most important thing in their lives, indeed the sole reason for the existence of anything, and so struggle to understand that atheists don’t perceive their lack of that belief as consequential in any significant way, beyond challenging any pernicious beliefs theistic religion tries to peddle in the here and now, and the attention atheism sometimes draws from angry theists obviously.

1 Like

That is a parable, Jesus is saying what some king (if I remember correctly) was saying. That wasn’t Jesus’s order to his followers. It’s a cherry picked verse, he never ordered killing.

1 Like

In the book of Luke chapter 19 verse 27, Jesus says, “But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.” Does this mean that Jesus wants Christians to kill off non-believers?

Jesus is telling a story about a king who ordered the execution of some people who tried to overthrow his government. How is it even possible to interpret that as an order for Christians to kill off non-believers? (It’s not.) On the other hand, it is a metaphor for what will happen to non-believers on the day of judgment when Jesus returns. (Jesus does not, in the New Testament, that I am aware of, tell Christians to kill non-believers.) When Jesus makes his threats, they are threats that “The Wrath of God will kill them.” But then if you believe in the Trinity as most Christians do, we may be splitting hairs here. After all, it is not Jesus doing the killing but his alter ego, God.

MATTHEW:

1. Jesus says that most people will go to hell. [7:13-14]
    Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Jesus spoke of hell as “eternal fire” (Matt. 25:41) and “eternal punishment” (Matt. 25:46) .

Jesus has God, his alternate personality, doing his dirty work.

1 Like

They have been brainwashed since they were kids, as I was. And in my experience arguing with Christians always ends up with them getting offended and mad (just by telling them their own tales). It’s very confusing and tiresome, honestly, I stopped getting into debates like this cause I don’t want this negativity. As for the dungeon, if it was ever to exist, I’m coming with you.

1 Like