What is Atheism

Well, ladies and gentlemen, you heard the man. FINALLY, somebody who is honest enough to admit that you have to throw away reason, logic, and rational thinking to have faith. What a refreshing breath of fresh air for a change… (deeeeeeeeep inhale)… Ahhhhhh… :blush:

So, does that mean that “by faith” you do not believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny? Or, maybe, by faith, you don’t believe in the thousands of gods created by Man over the centuries? Is that how that works?

It’s okay. We understand. We blame Cog, just so you know. Speaking of Cog…

Yeah, sorry about that. Again, we blame Cog. In all fairness, though, we have tried repeatedly to hide HEPA filters in his underwear. Problem is, though, he never wears the damn things. The struggle is real.

…(timidly raising hand)… Uh, yeah, sorry about that. Mia culpa. The irony, however, is that I honestly try to brighten the place up a bit when I can. Sadly, though, my “humor” just tends to make things darker. I’m gifted like that. It’s a blessing and a curse. What’s a guy to do?

Uh, you are obviously not aware that many/most of the members here come from highly religious backgrounds and have read/studied the bible more than most Christians. Just sayin’…

Well, even IF your Jesus dude did exist, then he and his daddy (not Joseph, the stepdaddy) have a bunch of explaining to do.

Mea culpa maxima, he was a wrong un, saw it straight off.

4 Likes

Funny how Christians don’t realize that Faith also means “wanting to believe” and wanting to believe in something doesn’t make it factual lol

1 Like

I’ve not met one who when asked could say how religious faith is actually defined. Not one…ever…

I suppose they’re raised to accept a meaning, and simply never bother to check.

1 Like

The main things being torn apart here are nonsense claims and @Cognostic 's bunghole when he digs for poo to fling, IME.

There are also members here of other genders, before we begin making presumptions.

Continue with the ad hominems and I’d be surprised if your stay here weren’t distinguished but short.

2 Likes

Excellent point, @Bluedoc. How easily, and without thought, folks use the word men as a substitute for people. It’s likely a legacy from times during which the notion of equality for all was completely out of the question. Sadly, complete equality for all is still not a reality. And there is backlash for some. But at least it is more (more, not fully) open for discussion these days.

This is interesting, forever written as two words is generally in the UK, but in the US it is generally one word, this pigeon struck me as from blighty, just a feeling I had, maybe the tone. Of course his level of literacy is woeful, he’s most probably a teenage boy, and may even be lying about being a theist. Two things were pretty likely from the start, he’s trolling, and he’s a liar, though of course they tend to be synonymous.

The fun part is that other languages have, in the past, enforced the distinction with better rigour.

Classical Greek, for example, distinguishes between ανθροπος, “man” in the sense of “human being”, and ανηρ, “man” in the sense of “male person”. Likewise, Latin distinguishes between homo, “man” in the sense of “human being”, and vir, “man” in the sense of “male person”.

English not only became lazy with respect to declension over time, but with respect to other linguistic constructs as well.

Perhaps it was laziness in this case. It sure fits in well, though, with historical (and, sadly, current) male dominance in any arena that has even a faint odor of power.