To the Creator of Earthquakes

Serving on the crew of a full time auto racing team during a somewhat successful season, our team owner/ driver was occasionally interviewed by TV crew just after winning a race.

The first, and often only, thing he said in appreciation was some version of, “All glory goes to god for this one.”

So your grease-stained, red eyed crew that drove through the night to get to the track, set up, then easily work 14-16 hour days for three days on end get passed over for some imaginary fuck stick in the clouds.

What the ever loving shit??

5 Likes

On BBC1 news report this morning …"…death toll is now over 16000", pictures of a baby being pulled out alive after 62 hours to shouts of God is Great…

3 Likes

…(groooooanbanging forehead on wall)… Somebody stop the world, please. I don’t want to ride anymore…

2 Likes

Yes, Jesus as the one true God (1 Timothy 2:5) creates earthquakes as punishment towards His creation when they do wrong:

*Therefore I will make the heavens tremble; and the earth will shake from its place at the wrath of the LORD Almighty, in the day of his burning anger."

Jesus being such a wonderful loving (Romans 5:8) and forgiving God (1. John 1:9), NOT!

1 Like

Tell that to all the people in Turkey and Syria.

This is an atheist forum. Hatred/anger at God (known as misotheism) can only ever be the preserve of those who believe or are agnostic. It quite amazes me just how much misotheism is in evidence on forums that claim to be purely atheist concerns.

On the subject of earthquakes and God, earthquakes are a natural feature of life on Earth, and while I have no expertise in geology I suspect they serve some sort of function akin to a safety valve perhaps?

Best wishes,
Padster

Howdy, Padster.

This is actually a debate forum hosted on a site that supports atheists.
I completely agree that one cannot hate or be angry at any gods they don’t believe in. However, folks sure can be angry at or hate religion and/or the religious for their transgressions. You’ll also frequently find atheists who would say that if a particular god did exist, they would hate or be angry with it.

2 Likes

I’m not angry at any god. It’s impossible to be angry at something I don’t believe in. It’s like being angry at hobgoblins, unicorns, or cyclops. What can anger me is having theistic crap or religiously motivated antiscience shoved down my throat. My preferred method of countering such shit is to reply with science and evidence based arguments, but sometimes that just isn’t enough, or not appropriate. For such cases I reserve the right to reply by pushing any and all buttons I suspect can annoy superstitionists and ridicule their beliefs. Including, but not limited to, what religionists refer to as blasphemy – an imaginary offense committed against an imaginary entity. If you present ridiculous shit, be prepared to be ridiculed.

2 Likes

Indeed, but the title of this post was ‘To the Creator of Earthquakes’, which suggests misotheism. If one is an atheist one doesnt believe in a ‘Creator’.

I am unable to see any angriness towards a god in the posting. Any angriness present is directed at human behaviour.

Edit: the title is surely meant rhetorically. Although I fail to see the connection between the title and the posting.

1 Like

I direct you to the post made by 21stcenturyIconoclas of Feb 10 as an example of misotheism, not atheism. I do agree though that other posts were directed at religion and belief, so perhaps we have reached a consensus?

Best wishes,
Padster

It just points out certain inconsistencies in the bible. God as the earthquaker and angry punisher in one part of the bible, the same god as the merciful and self-sacrificing god (a.k.a. Jesus) in another part. Where is the misotheism?

2 Likes

Well if you cant see it, I guess its not there. Its just odd how angry atheists are getting over something they dont believe in. After all, as a theist I’m not posting quotes from Camus and Nietzsche and then knocking them down as the archetypal straw man. I suppose what I am saying is that I just dont understand it.

If you can see it, point at it and explain it.

You are confusing your god with what theists are spreading.

You lost me here. What has this to do with the fact that the bible itself points to your your own god as the creator of earthquakes?

I think you’re just frustrated. Frustrated that atheists dare to not share your belief in supernatural stuff.

1 Like

Here we go. Here it comes. The adjectives, the suppositions.

I couldnt care less what you dont believe in, but lets not pretend that your ‘atheism’ doesnt contain within it an anger at religion, those who adhere to it and at God as well. These are things you dont believe in, so it makes no sense to be angry at them.

Unless you DO believe in them, of course.

Best wishes,
Padster

You are quite confusing here. Firstly, you point to a title meant as a rhetorical device, having very little to do with the opening post, which points out inconsistencies in the bible.

Then you claim atheists are angry at an entity they don’t believe in. When pointed in the direction of any anger rather being directed at the behaviour of theists, you confusingly mention your own claimed restraint towards posting Nietzsche quotes, as if that’s relevant. What Nietsche did or did not is quite irrelevant here, as the topic here is what actually written in the bible about your god.

Further, you are being inconsistent by making characterizations of atheists (“angry at god”), while at the same time being offended by characterizations of your own behaviour. And you wonder why people find religious rhetoric frustrating?

1 Like

First, atheism doesn’t contain anger. It can’t. However, atheISTS can be, and often are, angry at many religions and many of the religious.
This anger is completely justified. I’m happy to provide examples of why if you would like.

3 Likes

Your notion is ludicrous. If for no other reason than: atheists can be agnostic.

1 Like

@Padster

Howdy. Welcome to the AR. Been reading a few of your posts. If you don’t mind my asking, are you seriously trying to say atheists are angry at your god?.. (bemused chuckle)… So, based on your own “reasonings”, would it be reasonable for us to conclude you harbor anger and resentment toward Zeus, Odin, Shiva, and all the other several thousand gods worshiped worldwide? After all, they ARE the competition of your god, and many of them have very similar attributes and temperments. Oh, and even worse, many of those other gods tend to be much nicer and more readonable, thereby making YOUR god look like a complete douche. (Although, in all fairness, your god really doesn’t need much help in that area. Your bible pretty much has that covered.) Anyway…

Along similar lines, I bet you stay pretty pissed at Santa every year when he doesn’t bring you the prize present you requested. And I cannot imagine your resentment toward the Easter Bunny when he stopped bringing you an Easter basket full of goodies once you got older. (Or have you sought professional therapy to help you get over it all?)

Thankfully for me, I do not believe in any of those entities. Therefore, the idea that I (or anybody else, for that matter) would hate or have any resentment toward those imaginary beings is just plain silly. Laughable, in fact. On the other hand, when the individuals/groups who DO believe in those entities attempt to force others to share those beliefs, those PEOPLE are most certainly worthy of criticism, anger, and resentment. Especially when they make open threats toward those of us who counter their chosen faith. Here is something I saw on another platform that I really like, and it seems fitting to share it here…

“If [the Christians] truly believe what they claim to believe, then they should not be concerned about what others believe, because they should trust their god to handle it.”

Best wishes.
Tinman.

2 Likes

Padster

8h

This is an atheist forum. Hatred/anger at God (known as misotheism) can only ever be the preserve of those who believe or are agnostic. It quite amazes me just how much misotheism is in evidence on forums that claim to be purely atheist concerns.

“On the subject of earthquakes and God, earthquakes are a natural feature of life on Earth, and while I have no expertise in geology I suspect they serve some sort of function akin to a safety valve perhaps?”

The title that started this thread was meant just to add just a satirical touch to a serious question about the behaviour of humans when they have organized themselves into a God–based religion. While I personally have not the slightest doubt what so ever that that God entity does not exist in the real world , that does not stop me and others sometimes cursing Nature and its laws momentarily; our ancestral animal brains cause this instant irrational thinking on hearing for example that that huge quake occurred when most victims were in bed and in the worst position to be able to rush out of their badly constructed buildings. As ought to be basically well known by everyone these days, the real creator of earth quakes is the sudden slippage of one tectonic plate under another plate in the subduction process going on in our planet.

I am interested to hear what on Earth actually makes you a convinced theist Padster.
If you could actually start an original post about it, I would liken it to chucking a bit of meat into a den of hungry lions !