This gets Awkward

Definitely, although most tracks like that do not attract the huge crowds from the past. And since the Formula One bunch went to other tracks, the great double-header of Mosport one weekend and Watkins Glen the other is a now just memory from the past.

From the 2017 IMSA race, I had a great seat.

1 Like

I’ll say, that must have been made over 50 years ago. Did it star Dean Jones?
Back in the day when Disney used to pay its actors crap money. I don’t really know how much things have changed if at all.

@boomer47 It did not have Dean Jones, but it was produced by Disney:

Disney had a knack of getting B list younger actors, such as Hayley Mills, Dean Jones, Jan Michael Vincent and has beens/never were older actors such as Helen Hayes, Keenan Wynn and Fred MacMurray. They all had one thing in common, they worked cheap.

Trivia. Don’t remember when or where I read this, so it might not be true.
Charlton Heston was a huge star when he was making his epics. Then epics went out of fashion, so Charlton Heston did too.

I read that he put out the word that he would work for a flat $50k a movie. Then he made films like The Omega Man, Soylent Green , Will Penny*** and The Planet Of The Ape series.

***imo the best film he ever made. He actually managed to act instead of chewing the scenery.

Hmm, the only one I haven’t seen. Loved the Omega Man, way better and scarier than the Will Smith remake, though that was not a bad film in itself.

Soylent green terrified me, and I was just a child who didn’t fully understand the implications of an exponentially increasing human population, on a planet with finite resources.

Ultimately anything other than stopping that, and reducing the population is a band aid on an arterial bleed.

Great films, and of course The Big Country, though he was a supporting actor in that.

I’ve been doing my best to be an adult for over 50 years. During most of that time, I’ve been aware and fearful of the world running out of food.

Today I realise a world food shortage will almost certainly not happen within my lifetime. Right now, world starvation is about economics and the logistics of distribution as far as I can tell. Very much a case of Gandhi’s aphorism "there is enough on earth for every man’s needs, but not for every man’s greed "

Reasonably sure I will be long dead before the shits hit the fan about shortages of resources. This of course includes minerals, of which there is also a finite supply.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A question; is this aphorism cynical, nihilistic or simply realistic? (or something else) : " Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all" (Arthur Balfour)

Well morally it’s an indictment of the species, but mathematically it changes nothing. I was born in 1965, and the global population was just under 3.4 billion, now it’s approaching 8 billion.

The best religion has to offer is it’s a sin not breed out of control.

I was born in 1947. At that time the world population was 2,584,034,261

The population of Australia was 7,579,358 … (in June 2020 it was 25,687,041)

1 Like