The REAL Golden Rule

@Tin-Man Nice to meet you, as well!

I agree with you.
Every peril, every miscarriage of justice, every horror you mentioned comes at the hands of humans, mortals who act in opposition to the “Golden Rule”.
Resource availability would also become less exclusive if we all thought of each other as much as we thought of ourselves.

I asked if we could all imagine for one moment if we all followed this rule pertaining to peace.

I know, I know…you are right yet again: we aren’t there yet as a global community.

But the fact that there are easily accessible pictures that illustrate a unifying factor amongst all creeds and ideologies, speaks to me of a potentially harmonious future. I’m not certain if it will happen in my lifetime, but I am hopeful.

Yeah Cog, don’t cherry pick.

Who does that?? So inappropriate for a primate.

@Tin-Man That was funny, but in lieu of the potentially serious aspect of your question (varying ideas of what is acceptable amongst the masses) the Atheistic version of this rule is sufficient.
Screenshot_20220503-091546~2

This rule requires us to consider and contrast the wants and needs of others against our own. It requires compassion and forethought.

Absolutely right, Cognostic. (There may be hope for you, after all.)

The Bible is the antithesis of rationality and morality. It is a true hate crime against humanity. Anyone who embraces this evil book is a traitor to humanism and morality.

1 Like

What is your question? I don’t understand your reply.

Spank away Tin-Man, if the recipient is into it!!!

(My father was an “enthusiastic spanker” who used his leather belt on my little sister, my handsome twin brother and me, when we were just little kids. What an asshole he was.
So I am ALL for spanking…spanking spankers, that is!!! Ha, ha.)

My vote for Incongruous Post of the Day, right there.

1 Like

@Andy-Stout
I’m sorry you feel personally attacked. That was not my intention.
You are not the only one who examined the ten commandments and postulated upon them. This issue is addressed in the New Testament. Matthew 22:35-40 states,

35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Love God with everything that you are (heart soul, and mind) and love your neighbor as yourself. All the law hangs upon these two commandments.

How do we love God with all we have?
1 John 5:3 states, to love God is to follow his commandments.

To love God, is to love each other as much as we do ourselves.

The Golden Rule.

Do I have it right that you agree with the general phraseology of “Golden Rule” excepting that found in the New Testament?

All of the conceptions of this rule differ in phraseology in some way. I see it, you made a meme about it. It is just my personal opinion, but to point out Christianity for this same cause seems a bit like semantics.

What is the purpose to be had
behind this rule: be excellent to each other: Peace, my friend, peace.

img_4553

1 Like

Hey, Tia, pay no mind to Andy. He seems to stay in a perpetual state of hostility at being offended by anything and everything even remotely religious. Hell, he doesn’t even like the fact that most of us here are not easily offended by religion. Oh, wanna have some fun with him, though? :grin: Next time he gets all torqued, tell him that you’ll pray for him. He LOVES that. :joy:

1 Like

@Tin-Man Ha!
I will respect his wishes. :grin: His meme and his topic were what what brought me back here. I was just thinking about this very thing. I have never even thought of dividing a universal law of peace into factions. It is strange, but also fascinating to me why someone would.

@Andy-Stout I believe the Golden Rule, however the phraseology solves all of these quandaries.

Matthew 22:37-40 Thou shalt alove the Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy cmind. 38 This is the first and great acommandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.

But, who then is our neighbor?

When asked this very same question in the Book of Luke 10:25-37 the Parable of the Good Samaritan was provided.

Some background on Samaritans and Jews that you may very well already know:

For more than six hundred years the religious enmity between the Jews and the Samaritans had become not only time-honored and historic, it had increased over the centuries and by Jesus’ time, the two groups had no dealings with each other.

After his parable was finished Jesus asked:

Which now of these three (the priest, the Levite, or the Samaritan) was a neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

And the doubter said, He that shewed mercy on him.

The reply was, Go, and do thou likewise.

Similarly, Matthew 24:34-40 states,

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Thus, to love God and to follow his commandments is to love each other, even the least of us.

I reiterate softly:

If we all were compliant to this rule, there would be world peace and universal empathy in a social system of fragmented ideologies and lifestyles. We would not have to be the same as each other to show mercy. We would be united no matter the difference of opinions.

I’m a bad little monkey. You mean I should not respond to cherry picking with cherry picking? LOL… Never mind that John 3:16 is a forgery and does not occur in our earliest manuscripts. Ha ha ha ha … 80% of the words attributed to Jesus are not his… LOL… “The Jesus Seminar; Seminar Rules Out 80% of Words Attributed to Jesus : Religion: Provocative meeting of biblical scholars ends six years of voting on authenticity in the Gospels.” But let’s have a scripture war? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha …

2 Likes

@rat_spit Yes! Support everyone even the poor. Rich people can have anxiety and be depressed. Support them too. Everyone, should follow this rule equally. It is not dependent upon money. It is dependent upon willingness, thoughtfulness, compassion, and human decency.

Because in doing so, it keeps the population at large divided and more easily “managed” by those who wish to maintain their power and their stranglehold on society. It ain’t rocket science.

@Tin-Man is that what Andy Stout is trying to do? I’m not sure he has that sort of power, but hey :woman_shrugging:t5: Who am I to judge. You know him better than I

1 Like

Did anybody actually READ Tia’s graphic? After you enlarge it, the type is still so tiny that it is almost unreadable.
Here is another image that is easier to read. Notice that the “Golden Rule” is NOT what most people think it is.
Morality is NOT about “DOING good things”.
Morality is about “NOT DOING bad things”. —>

:joy::joy::joy: Andy only WISHES he had that kind of power. And God help us all if he actually did. However, he IS indirectly making himself a pawn in the whole “Divide & Conquer” strategy, whether he realizes it or not.

(Oh, and I don’t really know him that well. He’s been here only a short while. Basing my evaluations solely on what I have observed of him thus far.)

@MrDawn what is your opinion of the “Golden Rule”?

RE: Matthew, Mark, Luke or John: Can you say who wrote any of these books or why they would be important?

2 Likes