The REAL Golden Rule

Lets just say that I don’t hide behind an immoral religion and try to justify and lie how it’s supposed to be moral.

1 Like

@Tin-Man

I see. Well, considering that I know him even less, I can only hope that he wouldn’t want to divide and conquer his own potential peace.

Funny thing about that… From my experience over many years of dealing with just about every type of mentality imaginable, here is one of the many things I learned: There are people out there who cannot live in peace. They are incapable of doing so. They thrive on conflict and turmoil. They are not “happy” unless they are involved in some sort of confrontation. That is what brings them pleasure. As such, it is only natural they will cause disruption and discord wherever they go. Sure, there are those who are consciously aware they do such things, and they purposely spread mayhem whenever possible. For the most part, though, the majority of them do not even realize they are doing it. Either way, make no mistake… THAT is their “peace”. Something you might want to keep in mind for future reference.

2 Likes

bd54579b4516179deb47c64bc1430ca0

@Tin-Man I have also found that to be to be true in many instances.

1 Like

I too am fond of wise men.

Good is the Highest Form of Reality

“It is what all beings either turn to or from”. Those who seek the Good end in the realm of metaphysics and forms. Those who deny the Good are very much involved in the physicality of reality."–Socrates

Me too :heart_eyes:

Take the Bible as your geography book and you’ll miss 99% of the world. Take the Bible as your history class and you’ll be bottom of the class. Take the Bible as your biology book and you’ll get no marks at all. Take the Bible as your cosmology book and you’ll know less than nothing. Take the Bible as your medical book and you’ll be sued for malpractice. Take your Bible as your military ethics guide and you’ll be sued for war crimes. Take your Bible as your childcare book and your children will be taken away. Take the Bible as your law book and you’ll end up in jail. Take the Bible as your human rights book and you’ll be tried at The Hague. So, yes take the Bible, take it as far away as possible. And leave it there. - Bill Flavell

3 Likes

@MrDawn

Indeed. What I like about this rule is that it does not do that either. It calls for unity and compassion, not division.

It transcends religious and ideological differences, leaving them virtually untouched outside or respecting them and merely calls to a person’s willingness to consider the wants and needs of his or her fellows as much as one would one’s self.

@Andy-Stout

Dv2hSNFXcAMQz6T.jpg_large~3

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

@MrDawn And yet, here we all are.

@David_Killens poor baby. I bet that owner will at some point find a special “present” in her shoe.

I don’t need anyone to tell me what they “think” my morality is or to assume that it’s all part of a Golden Rule Principle. No one perfectly follows a Golden Rule at all. I already have a religious bigoted brother who loves to judge what my morality is. People have their own sense of morality and others have imaginary high moral standards that are beyond absurd. Others hide behind Christianity and Islam or just religion in general to feel “moral” and important. Morality is subjective per individual. You don’t need religion to learn how to be a do gooder or an “evil doer”. You learn about morality as you grow up and experience people and you learn what’s acceptable and what’s not acceptable.

1 Like

@MrDawn Indeed. If your brother was following this rule, he would not persecute you for a mere belief. A title does not make the man.

I do not know you or your brother, but perhaps you could share these verses with him and help him consider the nature of his communication.

1Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? (Matthew 7:1-4)

No, no, no. You mistake me for a Christian. While I am a former Monotheist, I’m an Atheist and an Anti Theist. I’m not about to sit there and encourage my brother’s religious superstitions with Bible verses on a supernatural belief that I see as purely fictional and that I think destroys whole families.

@MrDawn I did take a long shot there that you might want to correct someone you care about in their own arena. That is why I used the term “perhaps”. I retract my statement thereunto and sincerely apologize for commenting on the opinions you have on him. I don’t know either of you.

That bridge has been burning for a while. I have no desire to remind my brother on how to behave or how to follow his religion. He knows what he does. I don’t care about fixing my relationship with him. So much shit has been done between us that I have decided that the best thing to do is to wash my hands of him the first chance I get. I rarely ever talk to him as it is. I want nothing to do with him. He’s just a black hole that sucks out every ounce of remaining happiness that I have and he knows that I have such a low opinion of him.

@MrDawn Well, there you go!

Ugh; how dreadful, and tedious, a world it would be with primarily “unity,” and division minimized. No politics… little real progress…

Unity is unattainable at any rate, as cruelty and irrationality are ineradicable parts of the human condition, in my experience.

And don’t even get me started on compassion; I have yet to hear a decent, un-brittle argument about why dignity wouldn’t much sooner be preferred for oneself and others instead.

Even typing about these concepts in a serious manner is an onerous task for my faculties. Time to stop with that.

1 Like