The banning of the adhan in South Africa

Is it a prayer? I understood this to be a muezzin calling the faithful to prayer.

If this were to be restricted on religious grounds, I’m not sure we could allow church bells to ring. And I imagine there is legislation about ringing church bells as well, to restrict volume, duration, and prohibit certain times.

Much as it is illegal to use the horn on a motor vehicle after 11:30 and before 07:00 in a built up area in the UK.

Noise pollution is usually regulated.

I don’t know much about the Suidlanders community but from what I can see, it is terrible and the fact that religions can take pride in fighting for their ‘deity’ and killing people is disgusting. It reminds me of the most recent case in France where the teacher was killed for a drawing. If people can take measures such as these for even a drawing, a war is nothing for them. In our country, South Africa has dealt with Apartheid and it is thankfully gone. People who have that much power or privilege always go power crazy.

1 Like

The local legislation says that "No person shall:

• operate or play, or allow to be operated or played, a radio, television set, drums, musical instrument, sound amplifier, loudspeaker system or similar device producing, reproducing or amplifying sound, or allow it be operated or played so as to cause a noise nuisance.
    However these are always played on a loudspeaker, even though it is during the times, 5 times a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year seems pretty excessive and unecessary.
1 Like

I think it is more of a call to prayer. However, there are so many other options available to ‘call people to pray’ which is already strange. Why is that they need to call people to pray and not just let them do it by free will. Why is it that they cannot use cellphone alarms or even the adhan apps to remind them that they need to pray? Because they want to get away with doing whatever they want on the grounds of religion. Also, in my city and area, I live one road away from a church and two roads away are a mosque and temple. I do not ever hear the church or temple, even for their special celebratory days. The mosque has no regard for noise pollution as the people inside say that its the same as hearing a car drive past or a dog barking which are more natural than calling people to gather at your place of worship.

1 Like

Well there you go…

Now whether you do anything with the regulation is up to you.

1 Like

Exactly. The regulation is clear. Now itis for you to decide whether to take the matter further. You may well find that other local residents are pissed off and just waiting to complain. Like most people they lack the intestinal fortitude to do so.

1 Like

Comparable to the Christian Church bells at all hours of the morning on Sundays. I have not lived near a Church in years, does that shit still go on.

When I first moved to Korea they had air raid sirens. You have not lived until one of those thigs go off and every car in the street stops and all pedestrians suddenly vanish from a busy Metropolis like Seoul, South Korea. It’s especially weird when you don’t know what in the hell is going on and someone has to tell you to take cover under a building entryway or be arrested because all the video cameras are watching you.

Another annoying thing, is that instead of Islamic prayers, Apartment complexes and Government office have access to PA systems. Announcements just happen at all hours of the day and night. If a car is double parked at 6AM and a resident can not get out of his parking space; it is announced through all the units in the complex.
(Wakey Wakey and move your damn car.)

The result of this is that in Korea, car doors are rarely locked and the cell phone number of the car’s owner is usually on the dash board. People are allowed to push cars out of the way in the smaller cities and they can almost always contact the car’s owner to avoid the public shame of being the one who has boxed in another person with their car at 6AM.

Another Korean atrocity is the fruit and vegetable salesman. 8AM, they hop in their little pickup trucks, loaded with the days display of fruits and vegetables. (There are no noise ordinances in this country that I have ever discovered.) They get on a PA system that is attached to the loud speaker on the roof of their truck and begin screaming. “Banana, banana, banana, cheap! Good Deal. $5 for a bunch. (Fruit is expensive) Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! Banana, Apple, Orange, Kiwi, Pomegranet, Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!” The same truck comes around at dinner time selling noodles, soups, and things to make an evening meal.

LOL… While I am thinking about all this, I should mention government elections. WOW! Little vans with flat bed displays that open up into an actual stage, Vote for Mr. Kim! Theme songs, stopping at every corner to deliver the same speech. Screaming and yelling as supporters follow the van and create an artificial audience. Sexy girls in Korean han-boks pop out of the van and stand on every corner to bow to passing cars. Election time is insane.

Makes me recall my time in Italy. You know the fruit seller would sing beautifully as he walked through the streets in the morning making his sales.

Korean Truck selling Apples, oranges, Watermelons, strawberries, potatoes… and more. Something is 5,000 won and something 10,000 won but I can’t make it out.

Air Raid Drill, Looks like Seoul.

I actually love that idea. Drivers here often park without any thought or consideration for others. Traffic wardens seem to be used to maximise revenue, rather than tackle unsafe parking or dangerous traffic obstructions.

A paper shop on the narrow road home from work was always a massive jam, because despite double yellow lines people stopped right outside the shop even during the busiest traffic flows.

We don’t have the right to tell others what to believe. We do have the right to complain against any noise which disturbs the peace of our household. There are a lot of Muslims in my area, I have never once heard a call to prayer.

There are local by laws as well as common laws about noise and noise pollution in Australia. EG noisy party late at night, or say loud power tools on a Sunday. One rings the police who will attend and tell the noisemakers to tone it down.

An amplified call to prayer would simply not be tolerated in my area. One phone call to the local council would usually be enough. The mosque will be ordered to cease amplified calls to prayer. Ceasing all together would be different matter as it relates to freedom of religion and would almost certainly involve the Council For Civil Liberties.

Shia muslims believe God commanded Muhammad to perform the adhan five times a day. Sunnis do not accept the command came from god, but still honour the practice. Funny, I can’t remember hearing the call to prayer whilst living in Malaysia, nor as a visitor in Kuala Lumpur.